Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:05 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

I have to say that the Dunkin Donuts places near me are mostly run by Hispanics. I can't recall seeing any Indian employees there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,321 times
You know you're a New Yorker if...

you think peeing in the streets and subways is o'k.

you say "You're standing on line", instead of standing in line. (Someone from the mid-west might think you mean you're standing up while on the computer.)

you think Wrangler makes dungarees instead of jeans.

you wore sneakers in gym class instead of gym shoes.

you hate to see tourist with cameras in Manhattan.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 AM

124 posts, read 219,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
you say "You're standing on line", instead of standing in line. (Someone from the mid-west might think you mean you're standing up while on the computer.)
Hahaha I'm a native to the Chicagoland area and yeah the first time I was over by you guys and I heard someone say they were "on line" for something I was so confused because I was associating it with being on the internet haha.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You know you're a NYer, when Transplants and Roaches become synonumous, and all you want to do is stomp on them at first site!
Thats kind of out of place my dude. Question 1 how do you stomp on site? What site, like construction site? Oops you mean sight! You mean bed bugs and transplants are synomous and a common annoyance.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-23-2011 at 02:42 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Really? Did someone call the 'PC Police'?

I imagine you are young and unknowing. I suppose you can't imagine a NYC with few Hispanics, NO Dominicans, Puerto Ricans were exotic, Mexicans were in Mexico, Indians were in India, no one knew what a Pakistanis was, and Koreans were in Korea; and no one ever heard of a central american country, let alone ever had seen one. Many white ethnic neighhoods still don't have a 'bodega'.

Why is it that some people always want to discount what they don't know, particularly when they don't know much!

There was a world before 1990, and NYC was vastly different. The born yesterdays, and the got here yesterdays, just kill me.

Yeah, and I guess sauce isn't 'gravy'!!?

Btw, food cart? Do you mean the 'hot dog stand'? The coffee stand? The donut stand?

Diner? Do you mean the 'GREEK' diner? As opposed to the non-Greek diner' which existed and once was in the majority, BUT you'd need to be NYer to know that!

Too many come here (and some born here of recent generations) and think things always were as they are today.

If you wannna do something new yorkish, open a bagel joint ot a kosher stand im fort lauderdale florida or try opening a bodega in orlando or in tampa.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:35 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
I hate the people who are so impatient they can't wait til the escalator gets to the top. Duh! The reason the stairs are moving, is so you don't have to!

So, stop bothering me, will ya. In a hurry? Take a taxi!
Escalator etiquette is so simple I don't get how some people fail to understand it. You stand on the right, walk on the left. If you're standing on the left, yes I will bother you, provided you're bothered by someone saying "excuse me." Although if that bothers you, I don't see how you would get through a single day in the middle of Nebraska, much less New York City.

And maybe it's something new, but I've yet to see a taxi that will take from one end of an escalator to the other.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Escalator etiquette is so simple I don't get how some people fail to understand it. You stand on the right, walk on the left. If you're standing on the left, yes I will bother you, provided you're bothered by someone saying "excuse me." Although if that bothers you, I don't see how you would get through a single day in the middle of Nebraska, much less New York City.

And maybe it's somethingnew, but I've yet to see a taxi that will take from one end of an escalator to the other.
Lol me either, maybe jolctranr can shed some light!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

And maybe it's something new, but I've yet to see a taxi that will take from one end of an escalator to the other.

And the elevator etiquette is similar in a lot of big cities. It's not unique to NY.

As for hurrying or impatience? Well it's not just hurrying necessarily (sometimes it is when I'm on my way to work and the subway took 10 - 15 minutes longer than I expected). But most of the time it is the fact I prefer to walk up the steps. I spend most of my day on my butt in an office so this is exercise. And the few minutes I save going up the stairs gives me time for something else!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
You know you're a New Yorker if...

you think peeing in the streets and subways is o'k.

you wore sneakers in gym class instead of gym shoes.

you hate to see tourist with cameras in Manhattan.
To the peeing thing, huh??

What are gym shoes? How is that different than sneakers?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
I actually thought dungaree was a southern term. That's what my grandfather, who spent all his life in the deep south, always called jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City