Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times

Advertisements

Hi im a young english female and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on moving from England to New York as most of the information i have found has been posted by americans moving from a different state/city to New York whereas i suppose the advice is rather different for me.
I am currently studying and will be going to University next year to study journalism/media and english, i plan to move to New York probably for a year or two as i want to travel and experience things before settling down.
I have been to New York before and i loved the atmosphere, i think it would be a great city to experience whilst im young!
I dont have alot of money so would be looking for fairly cheap accomodation.
If anyone has any information about work permits and what jobs are available (as i am british) I should have a degree by then and will be coming alone as i have no children.
Please help me out, any information or tips would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:55 PM

27 posts, read 117,430 times
Hi,
Unfortunately for you, there is very little that is inexpensive in New York City. In regards to rental apartments, look in the outer boros (boroughs) of Queens and Brooklyn. There will be a greater possibility in these counties to find somewhat affordable housing. The internet is a great tool for searching, also use the local news papers... New York Times, NY Daily News, Long Island Newsday. These are the largest news papers and they may have online classifieds. Your University and the school you're transferring to may have valuable information about housing. There are tons of Brits living in New York and it may be wise to try to contact one of your countrymen in a 'forum' for a touch of 'experienced' information.
Please resist the notions of the armies of ignorant people (mostly out-of-towners and not City residents) who will try to convince you how dangerous the City is. It's not. It's a big, crowded place filled with all the elements of human nature.... just like any other large city, small town or even the local Pub. If you've been to London for any length of time you'll have no problems - language may be a barrier... just drop the "r's" and speak quite fast. good luck

Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I think your biggest hurdle will be to get a legal visa that allows a reputable employer to hire you. NYC isn't cheap (although it's not quite as bad as some on this board would have you believe). I've lived in London and I'd say that the cost of living in both cities is about the same. Except that our telephone system works here in NYC.

You'd do well to find yourself some kind of niche work that nobody else would be able to do. That would justify your visa. To rent an apartment you need to prove employment, so getting some kind of job settled before you get here is preferable.

Best of luck.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:13 PM

39 posts, read 208,629 times
Here's a wild thought for you --

You might consider researching jobs in Little Britain. I don't really know much about the area, but it seems like some of your "home folk" might be able to give you a few pointers or perhaps a good lead or two.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 05:16 AM..

Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM

39 posts, read 208,629 times
Oops, sorry - that seems to be the wrong Little Britain. The one I was thinking of is the one they're campaigning for and the one above seems to be someplace already established. Who knew there were two? Here's a different link to get you started in your search:

Campaign for Little Britain (http://www.campaignforlittlebritain.com/blog/ - broken link)

Again -- good luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 9,242 times
Default Craigslist

I think Craiglist online would be the best and fastest way for you to find a place to live and work in NY. You could do temp work to get income rolling in shortly after you arrive until you find something more permanent. I did it for a year after I came two years ago.

You may want to find a sublet initially to find something quickly. I recommend Astoria in Queens. It's very safe and a great neighborhood with amenities all around. Manhattan is 20-25 minutes away by train. Lot's of other areas to live as well, but I'd stick with neighborhoods in Queens if you're looking for something safe and inexpensive. What is your price range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: