Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:53 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think that ther is something behind this statistic that everyone is failing to take notice of. Although there may be more grown kids staying with their folks here, outside of NYC, where rents are not crazy, there are an awful lot parents paying, or or helping to pay, the rent for their kid's apartment. Its not unusual for the parents -- and not just wealthy ones either -- to underwrite all or part of a grown kid's housing, especially when they're relatively young and just starting out. They can also help out sometimes with donating a down payment for a youngster's first home or condo, which they might be able to do when a down payment isnt six figures like might be here.

So its not like NYC kids are moochers. Its just that kids outside of high-cost places are moochers in a different way.
I know a lot of "independent" young adults whose parents pay their apt bill and credit card bill. Some of them live in luxury apts too.

The economy and job market is not that great. You should move out when you're 100% financially independent from your parents and have years of experience under your belt. I know a lot of kids with huge student loans living by themselves who live paycheck to paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
I know a lot of "independent" young adults whose parents pay their apt bill and credit card bill. Some of them live in luxury apts too.

The economy and job market is not that great. You should move out when you're 100% financially independent from your parents and have years of experience under your belt. I know a lot of kids with huge student loans living by themselves who live paycheck to paycheck.
Completely true. You can always tell which ones are truly independent. They never invite their friends over to their place because 5 guys are living in a one bedroom with the living room subdivided. Or, they live on the last stop of a subway line.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
1 in 4 live with parents if under 30, nationwide. we didnt like the way our grandparents did parenting so we did our own version. we have failed.
see link.
More young adults in 20s and 30s living with parents than in past 20 years | Society | The Guardian

Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
I train with a dude at the oly weightlifting facility who's in his late 20's and works construction for the MTA.
He has almost 200k saved up and nice Mini copper S paid for.

He cannot get second dates. Once they hear that he lives with his parents they doodle on about "being independent". This dude's a good looking guy and in great shape.

This city's Gen Y is nuts.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I train with a dude at the oly weightlifting facility who's in his late 20's and works construction for the MTA.

He cannot get second dates. Once they hear that he lives with his parents they doodle on about "being independent". This dude's a good looking guy and in great shape.

In a few more years I think women will come to realize the differences between your friend who has been smart with his money -- and some of the adult babies that are living off their parents dime and act like teenagers well into their 30's.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

In his case, he is financially independent since he has 200K saved and his own car. Maybe, he is emotionally not ready to move out. Or his culture expects him to have a long-term girlfriend or wife in order to move out. He will have trouble with girls due to the stigma of living with your parents. I suspect that those girls live with roommates, have their bills paid by the parents, or work crazy hours.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
I have a relative who has saved up well into the six figures (on top of retirement savings) while living with his parents after graduation. Now he's looking at buying a house while most of his friends will be living with roommates for years to come. In some cultures, this (staying with parents while you save) is considered normal.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
I moved out when I was 25 after I paid off my student loans and saved some money. As much as I wanted to move out earlier, this was the right decision for the long run. I have a lot of friends who fit the statistics and still live with their parents. I tell them moving out was the greatest decision of my life (truly was), but they are too afraid or too comfortable with what they have. They all work, it's just tough to give up free room and food.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:18 AM

448 posts, read 685,306 times
Haven't lived with my parents since I was 17. Can't imagine ever living with them again!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
I don't see any problems when grown up kids living with parents. My question is, do they pay the rent? Parents should tell their children there is NO free lunch in this world. Teach them how to be true independent. If you want something, work for it, pay for it, then enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City