Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

Before I started doing CD I'd never heard the word used like its used here, to denote someobdy who's recently moved to New York. It was only used, as far as I know, when somebody was getting a new heart or lung or something like that. People who moved here were newcomers or new blood or strivers or immigrants or ex-pats (if they came from outside the US).

But now people freely use the word and in a slightly derogatory manner, almost like an insult. I've never seen here much about use actually welcoming the "transplants" to New York. People move all the time and the US is a very mobile society--more mobile than most. So why don't we have a welcoming term instead of "transplant"? Is it even possible to refer to "transplants" without the faintly bad attitude attached to the word? Or are we really so insular we just don't want anybody new moving in and coming to seek their fortune, like most of our parents and grandparents did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
How about out of towner, or nyc newbie?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:01 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
I think most people on here have zero problem with anybody coming here from anywhere in the world, acting like a responsible adult, not acting the fool, and pretty much keeping to themselves. That is a transplant IMO.

People on here have kind of jacked the meaning of the word to mean some clueless, midwestern, wide-eyed ignorant long term tourist who skips around the city with their noses in the air like it's Disneyland. And there are indeed plenty of them. One of the correct names for them is very simply "douchebags" or "douchebag transplant" if you're so inclined.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Before I started doing CD I'd never heard the word used like its used here, to denote someobdy who's recently moved to New York. It was only used, as far as I know, when somebody was getting a new heart or lung or something like that. People who moved here were newcomers or new blood or strivers or immigrants or ex-pats (if they came from outside the US).

But now people freely use the word and in a slightly derogatory manner, almost like an insult. I've never seen here much about use actually welcoming the "transplants" to New York. People move all the time and the US is a very mobile society--more mobile than most. So why don't we have a welcoming term instead of "transplant"? Is it even possible to refer to "transplants" without the faintly bad attitude attached to the word? Or are we really so insular we just don't want anybody new moving in and coming to seek their fortune, like most of our parents and grandparents did?
Yes, the people who use the term "transplant" often mean it in a very derogatory manner. They blame the people who have moved here for ruining their lives essentially. Just like in grade school, ignore the bullies.

They often cite naive, wide-eyed tourists as representative of the "transplants" that they blame for the changes that have occurred here. The truth is, its multi-national corporations, complicated political affiliations and very wealthy individuals from within New York City, Europe and China that are bringing about many of the changes--and none of them are naive I assure you.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Mod cut

To the OP, I think the better question is when did we become so sensitive that words like transplant, or yuppie, or hippy or whatever other word thats tossed around become so offensive and disrespectful that it should therefore be stopped... Last time I checked we don't live in a fairytale happyland where everyone is pleasant to eachother and has no ill feelings towards any other race, sex, religion, orientation, etc. I'm not saying it's right but it is kind of annoying that people can be so openly prejudice against other groups by telling them that if their rent is too high then move the (whatever choice word you want to use) out... but we have to be so overly accomodating and attuned to the "transplants" feelings...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-22-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned comment and quote

Old 09-22-2011, 05:28 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Well to be fair..if your rent is too high you should move. Why is that such a crazy idea? If my car insurance is too high I sell it because I can't afford it...if my school gets too expensive I transfer to another because I can't afford it....if my favorite coffee is too expensive I switched to a cheaper brand.

So the question is..if your rent is too high, or goes too high..why do you think you should pay whatever it is you decide is fair or reasonable? Since when has this ever been the case? I think the reason why those mid-western transplants, or where-ever it is they are from, probably say "If the rent is too high you should move" is because that's what everyone else in this country does when they can no longer afford their rent!!!!!!! Crazy idea huh?

As for transplants, the word is not derogatory in so much as a few people try to hijack the term.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
It's used alot in San Francisco as well...usually by people who haven't lived in the city more than 10 years themselves.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Being a transplant to me means I had the initiative and the guts to move here and choose NYC as my home instead of just being born here, which takes nothing other than luck.

I take the word transplant as a compliment!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well to be fair..if your rent is too high you should move. Why is that such a crazy idea? If my car insurance is too high I sell it because I can't afford it...if my school gets too expensive I transfer to another because I can't afford it....if my favorite coffee is too expensive I switched to a cheaper brand.

So the question is..if your rent is too high, or goes too high..why do you think you should pay whatever it is you decide is fair or reasonable? Since when has this ever been the case? I think the reason why those mid-western transplants, or where-ever it is they are from, probably say "If the rent is too high you should move" is because that's what everyone else in this country does when they can no longer afford their rent!!!!!!! Crazy idea huh?

As for transplants, the word is not derogatory in so much as a few people try to hijack the term.
It becomes an issue when the situation is unbalanced... For example, a LL wants to further perpetuate the growing revitalization in the neighborhood which in his mind means stop renting to blacks and hispanics... so this is what he does... Fixes up the property, raises the rent or looks for any crime committed by the renter including jay-walking to remove the tenant and when they finally leave he only rents to the white "transplants" moving in since they are the answer to safer neighborhoods... My issue with what I mentioned is that then when the original renters legitimately complain about how the situation was handled, the transplants who have lived here for 6 months tell them "you don't have to live here" you can move... as if they've lived in this hood by choice rather than circumstance... that is my issue...

Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I understand conceptually what you are saying....it's all about the money. Welcome to the USA! So riddle me this Batman...if your rent goes up higher than you can afford...the correct answer is to demand it go to a rent you can afford OR to move somewhere you can afford?

As an owner, guess what happens when I can't pay my mortgage? Does the bank say "ok you can pay whatever it is you feel you can afford" OR "sorry you either pay it or we foreclose and you have no home"?

When the heating bill skyrockets because of speculators, and I have to raise rent to cover it, what am I supposed to do? You are saying I can't raise rent because you can't afford it...and I can't pay to heat the building because you won't pay more rent! Taxes go up in NYC, and I have to raise the rent to pay the tax bill, but you say I can't raise the rent because you can't afford it, and I can't pay the increased taxes on my own...what am I supposed to do?

As soon as the bank tells me "it's ok just pay whatever it is you feel is fair or is affordable", and Conedison tells me "you can pay what you feel you can afford", and NYC says "just pay the taxes you want to", and the contractors fixing the never ending problems say "we will only charge you what you can afford"...then I will be on your side. Until then...you are living in a fantasy world where what you pay in rent has nothing to do with anything else..and the entire world must accomodate you, while everyone else must suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City