U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 03:58 PM

450 posts, read 821,897 times

Advertisements

AND I want to share it with all my fellow New Yorkers..... and everyone els. Here is the story: I love to dance, and dancing music, so my family and I went to Cancun in 1989, and I meet a couple from Spain. One of the girls gave me a tape from a group of french singers, with no name on it.

We returned to NY, and for years and years I played the tape, but was unable to decipher the name of the group. I lost contact with this girl, so I gave up looking for the people in the tape singing. I began to research recently on the Internet, (May God bless Bill Gates), and after a long research I found it, and here it is for your enjoyment!!!!

La Compagnie Créole - La Machine A Danser - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM

11,968 posts, read 15,342,799 times
Default I know the feeling..

Great that you found the bands name and info. Happened to me a few times, including an Australian band called Scrap metal that I had on a tape (remember those?) and lost during moving house more then once. By the power of the Google, i found the music again. Also discovered bands by song lyrics by typing in a quoted line from the lyrics. Great story and glad you shared.

In a side note, I was on a kick a few years ago buying cd's (remember those?) By album cover art, and no other info. Discovered many groups that I became a huge fan of. Music can become the soundtrack to our lives, and it's great discovering or Rediscovering something we longed to hear.

Good post!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,260,435 times
What does Bill Gates have to do with it?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Bill gates invented computers, Cheez whiz, velcro And is the only one capable of defeating Chuck Norris with his giant robots!

Guess she is giving him a shout out in regards to his role in the computer industry.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:28 PM

900 posts, read 2,224,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Bill gates invented computers, Cheez whiz, velcro And is the only one capable of defeating Chuck Norris with his giant robots!

Guess she is giving him a shout out in regards to his role in the computer industry.
Bill Gates did NOT invent the computer. Computers had been around since the 50's. How do you think those space missions happened?

Heck, Bill Gates didn't even invent the Microsoft software program, he bought it off someone else who invented it.

Now Bill Gates did program some stuff.

Seems it would be better if she'd thanked YouTube.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Bill Gates did NOT invent the computer. Computers had been around since the 50's. How do you think those space missions happened?

Heck, Bill Gates didn't even invent the Microsoft software program, he bought it off someone else who invented it.

Now Bill Gates did program some stuff.

Seems it would be better if she'd thanked YouTube.
That was said in jest. She would be better off thanking youtube though.

Besides...Keith Richards invented the first computer back in the stone age..With vines, Dinosaur bones and twigs. Credit given where it is due!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM

900 posts, read 2,224,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d. Scott View Post

besides...keith richards invented the first computer back in the stone age..with vines, dinosaur bones and twigs. Credit given where it is due!

lol

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM

450 posts, read 821,897 times
Whoever invented the computer my thanks to he/she/it/they....
Without my pc, I could not have done the research. Yes, I also thank Youtube and Google......

I am so happy that I will thank everyone that posted here, and look at the thread....also.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,260,435 times
Don't you all know, Al Gore invented the Internet.

Bill Gates deserves some credit, but his most significant contribution was, along with Intel, in imposing 'standards' o onto a chaotic industry. Imposing Windows as the standard operating system, alllowing programmers to create programs which would run on any personal computer with an Intel microprocessor, and a cloned BIOS by Compaq (who showed the world how to clone the IBM PC).

The above along with IBM's efforts to package the components which became the IBM PC. Of course, there are a great many other milestones and people along the road toward what we have today. Most notably, Xerox whose 'incubator' created the basic PC as we know it today.

Steve Wozinak and Steven Jobs for pirating Xerox and creating the Apple and Macintosh, which broght personal computing to the public.

Beyond that, and what was truly the aid to your search and where credit is due is the Internet, the World Wide Web, and the Browser you used to surf and find your info.

ARPA/DARPA (your government dollars at work, and why the USA 'owns' the Internet)
History of the Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tim Berners Lee
History of the World Wide Web - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marc Andressen
Mosaic (web browser) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above may be a little dry. Here are two excellent books and videos telltaling all the above in a quite entertaing fashion by Robert X. Cringely (hope they are on Netflix):

Welcome to Triumph of the Nerds!

Nerds 2.0.1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City