Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,112 times

Advertisements

If the landlord renovates, I believe they can add a percentage of the cost to our rent. Upgrading new appliances, for example, used to always be 1/40th of the cost. If you want to renovate, you have to get permission first, plain and simple. If you are living with substandard and/or dangerous conditions, you need to take the landlord to court and make them fix it. But that could take a long time and slumlords usually don't follow through even when ordered by a court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM

338 posts, read 677,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
They didn't allow you to make renovations because the owners probably *wanted* you in a falling down apartment that you'd be more likely to leave. Once you started making improvements at your own expense this ruins their plan.

I'd speak with a housing attorney that specializes in rent stabilized apartments just in case. You did break the rules, but I doubt they can evict--though they may *say* they can and even put a notice on your door. Best to lawyer up now and be prepared.
This. It is *very* difficult for them to evict you. Stay strong and don't let them intimidate you. They want you out so they can jack up the rent--don't let them.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
If the landlord renovates, I believe they can add a percentage of the cost to our rent. Upgrading new appliances, for example, used to always be 1/40th of the cost. If you want to renovate, you have to get permission first, plain and simple. If you are living with substandard and/or dangerous conditions, you need to take the landlord to court and make them fix it. But that could take a long time and slumlords usually don't follow through even when ordered by a court.

I believe the new law changed the capital improvement rent increase has changed a bit with the new law and is still 1/40 on smaller stabilized buildings (35 apts and under) but is now 1/60 of the cost in buildings with over 35 apartments.

I think it stinks that replacing a stove or a refrigerator can qualify for a rent increase. To me it seems like basic upkeep. After all, dozens of years ago the apartment HAD a new stove and in 1950 it HAD new refrigerator. Replacing it when it is worn out hardly seems like "capital" to me any more than a paint job does. In my book, these replacements seem more like tending to normal wear and tear.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I can never understand some of the rent stab tenants arguments. Paint your own damn apartment, lay your own floors....homeowners do this all the time.
The LL should do structrual things, but not decorate. I dont know why tenants feel they are entiitled to free paint jobs.....paint isnt expensive, your not owed that.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 AM

oh, and especially if the tenant has no plans on ever moving because of the stabilization, buy your own appliances, then your rent will not go up.....

rent stabilization does not equal entitlement

Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 33,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I can never understand some of the rent stab tenants arguments. Paint your own damn apartment, lay your own floors....homeowners do this all the time.
The LL should do structrual things, but not decorate. I dont know why tenants feel they are entiitled to free paint jobs.....paint isnt expensive, your not owed that.
First off, it is precisely what I'm doing : I'm fixing the place at my own expense. Second, you are wrong, the landlord must paint occupied apartments in multiple dwellings (buildings with three or more apartments) every three years. (NYC Administrative Code §27-2013). However, I never asked for that.

When a person or a company decide to purchase a property, they are perfectly aware of the rent stabilized contracts in the building. Therefore, they are free to not buy it and/or make a better, proper investment.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
I don't know why tenants feel they are entiitled to free paint jobs.....paint isnt expensive, your not owed that.
If you read THE LAW, you will find out that tenants ARE entitled to free periodic paint jobs. Perhaps being legally entitled to a paint jobs causes these tenants to "feel they are entitled to free paint jobs."
This entitlement is the same kind of entitlement that a landlord feels about being able to collect a monthly rent check...both established BY LAW!

Yes, I agree, the way things stand a stabilized tenant SHOULD replace his own stove and fridge...it will cost a lot less over the long run and he can get something nice instead of "landlord grade" junk. But then a miserable slumlord like the OP has will threaten eviction because of "unauthorized repairs."

A landlord in a stabilized building will often use every possibility reason, rational or not, to threaten a tenant's legal tenancy. Removing protected tenants by devious means is how some of these vampires reach orgasm.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If you read THE LAW, you will find out that tenants ARE entitled to free periodic paint jobs. Perhaps being legally entitled to a paint jobs causes these tenants to "feel they are entitled to free paint jobs."
This entitlement is the same kind of entitlement that a landlord feels about being able to collect a monthly rent check...both established BY LAW!

Yes, I agree, the way things stand a stabilized tenant SHOULD replace his own stove and fridge...it will cost a lot less over the long run and he can get something nice instead of "landlord grade" junk. But then a miserable slumlord like the OP has will threaten eviction because of "unauthorized repairs."

A landlord in a stabilized building will often use every possibility reason, rational or not, to threaten a tenant's legal tenancy. Removing protected tenants by devious means is how some of these vampires reach orgasm.
This I really agree with, a tenant in our building is stab and she didnt want to buy her own stove so the Ll got her a new one and incresed the rent by 10 dollars, ok, 10 isnt a lot, but that is forever, the stove has long since been paid off and she is still paying the extra 10 dollars, it would have been cheaper for the tenant to buy her own stove in the long run...and your right, the LL is going to buy you crap......especially if you really do plan to stay in the apartment forever, i really would buy my own.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,321 times
Lakz,

I'm pretty much in the same predicament. The LL doesn't improve anything and doesn't want to repair anything either unless he is made to, he's a slumlord too. I too am willing to pay for small improvements if it means living comfortably.

An elderly woman who lives in the the apartment next to me I was told has holes in the floor where it doesn't meet the wall. She's been in that apartment for 30 or 40 years. The LL bought this building about 10 years ago and only made required building code improvements that the previous owners neglected. She doesn't cook (even though she's elderly she has home health aides that could cook for her) which more than likely means she doesn't because of the roaches. Roaches and mice were entering my apartment until I filled the gaps, at least I thought I there weren't anymore mice entering but it looks like they still are entering through a closet.

I'm trying to make improvements to my apartment. My LL will allow additional cabinets but you'll have to pay for them yourself. I'll have to pay to move the 1 double cabinet over an inch b/c the "hell if I care" Super installed them where I can't get the fridge where it belongs. So at the moment my washer is in that space. I want to convert my closet to a laundry closet and open up the back of the closet to allow hoses, drain tube, and dryer duct to pass through. Although it would be a lot better I doubt if he'll allow me to enclose the piping through the back of the closet wall to connect to the sink. Anyhow, although I'm short on space that closet always smell. Why, you might ask? Because of those damned mice. I used to think b/c of the previous mice problem which was really bad until I sealed the holes were nesting in the clothes I had in the closet so there was a smell but when I washed the clothes minus some coats and jackets the smell was still there. After taking everything out again then washing the jackets (mice had pee'd on them) that closet still smells. I want to demo the interior and set up the closet how I want to fill any gaps and stop that smell. Even though I need the closet space I don't want anymore clothes in there. I'm planning to buy an armoire for closet space.

This apartment has been one thing after another to try to make livable. And I could go on regarding my bathroom. I'm disabled and live a a set budget so I'm hanging in there b/c I can't afford to move and I think it's in my best interest just to stay put until I can achieve some personal goals.

Good luck and keep us updated on your situation. No one should have to live in sub-standard conditions.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM

it sounds like a freaking dump you live in with mice and roaches.
save yourself all the Ll aggravation. Move. None of this sounds hardly worth it.

mice and roaches = move

that really is a no brainer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: