Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,555,288 times

Advertisements

Just recently, I found out that there is a possibility that work could send me to New York in the middle of next year. It would be a temporary move (1-3 years), but I want to be comfortable, so I'm prepared to make a home. I have family in Brooklyn and I'm fairly familiar with the whole city, but I have not done too much research into living costs.

The move has yet to be confirmed, so I'm not too worried about relocating yet, but I would like to know what areas would be best for someone with my income. By the way, I'm not sure yet how much I'm willing to spend, so just use your better judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 05:23 PM

216 posts, read 991,040 times
50 K is above average, but for new york that is not alot (just being frank). forget manhattan altogether, too pricey... stay out of the bronx, still stuck in the past, alot of crime, many neighborhoods in decline.

queens would be ideal but the cost of living there has skyrocketed. not sure if 50k per is enough (to live in a decent area). west/southwest brooklyn might be ur best choice (stay away from the northern and eastern sections).

Old 08-20-2007, 06:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,883,739 times
If they're in Manhattan, it's with roommates!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:21 PM

650 posts, read 2,512,283 times
I make 40K and do alright in south brooklyn, those areas are good for that salary

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If they're in Manhattan, it's with roommates!
Actually, roommates would not be out of the question, lol. Of course, it would have to be with someone I knew. Not sure if I could convince anyone here in Houston to live and work with me in New York.

I shouldn't be so picky, but I'm almost sure that the Bronx and Queens are out of the question. I had my eyes on Manhattan or Brooklyn, and Staten Island is an option as well(yeah, yeah, I know, but I really enjoy Staten Island).

Another thing I would have a problem with is adjusting to the lifestyle. It's very fast paced down here, but it's also laid back, at the same time. And that's the perfect mix for me.

Last edited by mpope409; 08-20-2007 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 07:26 PM

216 posts, read 991,040 times
well, SI would be the obvious choice if u could afford it. the downside (and a big one to some), its very far from the city. the commute is a real drag....its also very boring, no city feel at all.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
well, SI would be the obvious choice if u could afford it. the downside (and a big one to some), its very far from the city. the commute is a real drag....its also very boring, no city feel at all.
Well, compared to what I'm used to, I'll probably be fine.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,594,888 times
Take a look at the online real estate classifieds for the various NYC papers. Although you eschew the Bronx and Queens, you may find that necessity is the mother of invention. Manhattan? Fugeddaboudit. Brooklyn? Ditto. Staten Island might be doable.

If you can find some roommates, Brooklyn might be a possiblility but in Manhattan you will likely pay big bucks to share a very cramped space. Check out sublet.com for some possible shares/listings that may be more reasonable in Manhattan.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Take a look at the online real estate classifieds for the various NYC papers. Although you eschew the Bronx and Queens, you may find that necessity is the mother of invention. Manhattan? Fugeddaboudit. Brooklyn? Ditto. Staten Island might be doable.

If you can find some roommates, Brooklyn might be a possiblility but in Manhattan you will likely pay big bucks to share a very cramped space. Check out sublet.com for some possible shares/listings that may be more reasonable in Manhattan.
Actually, I am looking to see if any friends would volunteer to be a roommate with me, should I have to relocate. Because if I decide that Manhattan is where I want to be, then I will live in Manhattan, lol. I'll make it happen one way or another. No, but Brooklyn is where I would prefer. I'd be able to drive (which I love) and family would be within arms reach. Space is a must, though.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,594,888 times
Space is a must? Manhattan? Oy vey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City