Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 AM

45 posts, read 99,096 times

Advertisements

So im about to start my daily commute to the upper west side, and I would like to know which parts of town is considered dangerous or seedy especially at night? How about the subway, should I look out for something or stay near the front of the car? I have never been to the city frequently, especially not Broadway. I need to know some streetwise, or etiquette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter27 View Post
So im about to start my daily commute to the upper west side, and I would like to know which parts of town is considered dangerous or seedy especially at night? How about the subway, should I look out for something or stay near the front of the car? I have never been to the city frequently, especially not Broadway. I need to know some streetwise, or etiquette
Holy Hercules, not another one of these threads again.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM

119 posts, read 249,738 times
If anyone ever makes eye contact with you, however brief, it's an indication that they're probably going to stab you. Best to carry a small firearm and "take care of business" before they take care of yours.

Oh, and we walk on the left.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Since you're going to be traveling from 79th Street to 42nd Street, you're not going to be passing through any rough neighborhoods.

Of course, all of the subway lines are connected, and at one point or another, most lines pass through some rough neighborhoods, so just follow common sense rules (if somebody gets on and starts bothering people, move to the next car once the train reaches the next stop, don't flash money, avoid empty cars, etc). If possible, go to the first car (with the motorman), or the 5th car (with the conductor).

As far as etiquette goes, if you're walking slowly, stay to the right, as people pass on the left (sort of like driving). Also, when the train pulls up, wait for everybody to get off before you get on, so nobody's pushing and shoving.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Since you're going to be traveling from 79th Street to 42nd Street, you're not going to be passing through any rough neighborhoods.
How do we know it's 79th-42nd? Is there something there I'm not seeing?

Anyway, isn't the obvious suggestion that it might be a good idea to start with a bus instead of the subway?

Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM

45 posts, read 99,096 times
Cida, I made a previous post on my commute, im from New Jersey

Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,407 times
Don't look around so much like you're a tourist. Just walk straight and confidently like a real New Yorker. Don't whip out your ipod/tablet so close to the train doors, where people tend to grab and run. If there's a Starbucks within 3 blocks, it's probably a safe neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM

615 posts, read 1,675,583 times
Quote:
Just be aware of your surroundings, but don't appear paranoid. You'll be fine!

RE: Subway - There is no "safe" car. I personally avoid them because I HATE the rude people and being an "underground rat" squashed with a "gazillion" other underground rats. lol Did that for way too long, and if I can help it I'll avoid them. Now express bus for me! and I can sleep safely knowing no one will mug me. ahaha ;-)

Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Avoid any car that seems much emptier than the other cars that are connected to it. It usually means there's a problem in the car (smelly person, crazy person, big mess, smelly mess, unruly kids, no air conditioning, etc.)

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Cut through Duane Reade. When you emerge you will see a Duane Read across the street. Cut through it exiting Left. You will immediately see a Duane Reade on the corner...go through it on a diagonal. Three more Duane Reades in a row and you are Home Free!

Go home the same way but watch out for the Hudson River which temporarily has no floating Duane Reades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City