Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times

Advertisements

The more important issue is..so what? What does having whites or anyone else live there matter? It's all about class, not race...unless you think having Appalachian whites move in is somehow an improvement or indicative of "change?"

I could care less that whites are moving anywhere...who really cares...what you should care about is the economic standing of those moving in..whatever color that is. And we already know that the middle class are moving into the Southern Bronx in droves...and THAT is what matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:31 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The more important issue is..so what? What does having whites or anyone else live there matter? It's all about class, not race...unless you think having Appalachian whites move in is somehow an improvement or indicative of "change?"

I could care less that whites are moving anywhere...who really cares...what you should care about is the economic standing of those moving in..whatever color that is. And we already know that the middle class are moving into the Southern Bronx in droves...and THAT is what matters.
i agree 100%, gentrification is the real issue, but my point here is just i wanna be able to walk the streets of any neighborhood no matter what color i am, i wanna be able to walk the streets of mott haven safely if i am white (and that i dont talk english) or either walk the streets of bensonhurst without getting jumped just because i am black skinned, see the point? but i strictly agree to the fullest: color don't matter

Old 09-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Well just so you know...you can walk the streets safely in Mott Haven no matter what color you are. Crime is really driven by drugs in NYC..so if you stay out of the drug scene, and use basic common sense and street smarts, there are very few places you should be worried about.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
lol is it really THAT rare??i heard mott haven got a few europeans here and there
It has a very European past, on 136 street between Wiliis and Brown Place some of the archictecture is very similar to that of Germany and the low countries. The owner of Bruckner Bar and Grill I think he is Chezk. I tell you whats funny and I see them all the time in the South Bronx, White Crackheads. Good times man!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It has a very European past, on 136 street between Wiliis and Brown Place some of the archictecture is very similar to that of Germany and the low countries. The owner of Bruckner Bar and Grill I think he is Chezk. I tell you whats funny and I see them all the time in the South Bronx, White Crackheads. Good times man!
lol yep but architecture and former population is one thing, but actual demographics is another..

Old 09-30-2011, 11:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:

I would love to see The Bronx become a predominate, middle class, more racially/ethnically diverse place one day [like what Queens currently is]. Hopefully, this trend in Mott Haven will continue to expand.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
lol yep but architecture and former population is one thing, but actual demographics is another..
Mott Haven went from Swedish guy/Dutch to English/Dutch to English/German to German/Irish to Italian/Irish/Puerto Rican/ to Puerto Rican/AA, Puerto Rican/AA/Mexican/Dominican. This is all within the past 350 years. Talk about changes! With the architecture you can see what ethnic group used to live before the new comers.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-01-2011 at 02:23 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Well just so you know...you can walk the streets safely in Mott Haven no matter what color you are. Crime is really driven by drugs in NYC..so if you stay out of the drug scene, and use basic common sense and street smarts, there are very few places you should be worried about.
LOL, why this misconception of Latinos being a race? Last time I checked Puerto Ricans range from Blond, blue eyed Germanic looking to Sub-Saharan African.

Race maps in NYC suck because the areas with Latin American descendants and new immigrants are highly racially diverse but due to American simplicity grouped as different. What reflects more accurately are the income divisions between city neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM

BronxGuyanese you forgot Jewish. Kiddo..I agree...being Hispanic is no more a race than being American...

Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM

hmmm basically races do not exist smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: