Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

And my McLaren stroller cost me $180. They're not exactly affordable.

That's nothing, Bagaboos are $800+. Now THAT is expensive

OP, quit complaining. I don't have kids and want to slap you. I imagine it's challenging enough raising kids (in NYC) and here you are being an inconsiderate jerk complaining about something trivial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
no, they should ban you from the train.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
no, they should ban you from the train.
Someone who replied earlier and who works in the MTA pointed out that there is actually ban on strollers, but it's not observed.

By using up more space than one has paid for, one inflicts harm on others.

Here's another way to look at it. Crowding caused by strollers is like body odor or a factory's pollution. It's a negative externality, as economists would call it, because the perpetrator inflicts a cost on others that h/she does not feel. In the same way, the cost of producing steel is borne by the producer, but the cost of the resulting pollution is borne by others. Hence, more steel is produced than is socially optimal.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
By using up more space than one has paid for, one inflicts harm on others.

It's a negative externality, as economists would call it, because the perpetrator inflicts a cost on others that h/she does not feel. In the same way, the cost of producing steel is borne by the producer, but the cost of the resulting pollution is borne by others. Hence, more steel is produced than is socially optimal.
Isn't this exactly what you as a subway rider do to us drivers who have to subsidize your abnormally low fares?

You're ALWAYS using up more space than you paid for...

Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
you don't see women pushing baby strollers on the train every single day, do you?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you don't see women pushing baby strollers on the train every single day, do you?

I actually do. Sometimes two come in the same subway door.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I actually do. Sometimes two come in the same subway door.
Don't make **** up.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
How can one argue against the use of a stroller on a means of public transportation when the argument swings to the contrary when the question of suburbs or driving enter the equation? Seriously, one would think it would be understood that if one is encouraging families to stay in the city and eschew private transportation to work/school/shopping/etc., then they would have to use public transportation, including the subway.

Perhaps the MTA should investigate removing seats, creating more standing zones, or areas with fold out seats for families with strollers and those traveling with a physically challenged person who may be confined to a wheelchair or scooter? One cannot say on one hand that NYC's transit system is fantastic and that families should live in certain neighborhoods, yet then say that particular patrons have no business using the subway because they happen to need a stroller for a small child.

I have seen police officers on the subway who are very cordial to people with strollers, waving or smiling at little ones in their strollers, not ordering the parents to fold them up and stop creating a nuisance, or face fine and arrest. Seriously, some of the posts I have read make it seem that a mother on her way to work to support her child is committing a crime and should be incarcerated because she uses the subway to get to/from work and daycare. Some people may be discourteous, but many are not, and sometimes people just have a bad day, such that they may not be cognizant that they are causing such distress with their stroller use. I know I would much rather have a parent with a stroller nearby than some of the other characters one encounters on the subway.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
That's nothing, Bagaboos are $800+. Now THAT is expensive

OP, quit complaining. I don't have kids and want to slap you. I imagine it's challenging enough raising kids (in NYC) and here you are being an inconsiderate jerk complaining about something trivial.
I see your Bugaboo and raise you a Stokke....those start at $1200

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 23,696 times
As someone to takes the train everyday i rarely see strollers on the train. Due to that low frequency on those rare ocassions that there is a stroller taking up space i don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City