Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 PM

459 posts, read 719,916 times

Advertisements

My geography teacher always said there were more Puerto Ricans in NYC than in San Juan.
I suppose that may seem kind of obvious, but I came here to tell you that. He was from NYC, so he had a unique perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
My geography teacher always said there were more Puerto Ricans in NYC than in San Juan.
I suppose that may seem kind of obvious, but I came here to tell you that. He was from NYC, so he had a unique perspective.
There was s time in nyc when there was more Irish in nyc than in dublin, more Jews in nyc than Jerusalem, more Italians in nyc than Rome.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Oh ok... I didn't realize you were the sole representation of all Puerto Ricans in this city... I change my mind then... We are all leaving and we're not coming back... Thanks for letting me know... When do you think I should move?
He made a good point about the economy, I was trying to say the samething butcyou still insisted that blacks and ricans and et al are moving back to nyc in droves and everyone is staying put in nyc because they can now afford too. Econonmy is bad and dangerous as well as uncertain. People tend to move less in a bad economy and hold off of purchasing that mcmansion in Florida and rest of the south instread you have resort to pinching pennies inside of a housing project or tenement. We have family friend who has to hold off of purchasing a mcmansion in a San Juan suburb due to the economy and crime on the island, however him and his family still intent on moving to PR. So far at this very moment the only ricans I see moving are the ones with college degrees like that guy on my block who took a job position in Texas and a good friend of mine who took a job in western PA. These guys are going to be sipping starbucks and wearing flip flops all year round.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say I am stereotypical, yes, for better or worse. As for when you should move, you must first get your section 8 voucher approved to transfer to another state. Then we can discuss a timeframe. =)
You're an idiot... To say something as stupid as that simply because someone has a difference of opinion... There is no other explanation... Typically you're very difficult to discuss topics with because you're way is the only way but when you have to resort to stupid comments like this you just confirm the fact that you are unsure of your own stance and I don't need to debate anything with you...

Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
He made a good point about the economy, I was trying to say the samething butcyou still insisted that blacks and ricans and et al are moving back to nyc in droves and everyone is staying put in nyc because they can now afford too. Econonmy is bad and dangerous as well as uncertain. People tend to move less in a bad economy and hold off of purchasing that mcmansion in Florida and rest of the south instread you have resort to pinching pennies inside of a housing project or tenement. We have family friend who has to hold off of purchasing a mcmansion in a San Juan suburb due to the economy and crime on the island, however him and his family still intent on moving to PR. So far at this very moment the only ricans I see moving are the ones with college degrees like that guy on my block who took a job position in Texas and a good friend of mine who took a job in western PA. These guys are going to be sipping starbucks and wearing flip flops all year round.
You guys ignore the obvious though... You mention the economy in the city but disregard the economy downsouth which is either the same or worse... you mention the fact that Puerto Ricans have been leaving this city in droves for years but disregard your own articles which talk about how that movement has halted... You talk about people in your neighborhood moving out and make it seem as if they are moving out of the city when as others have pointed out the exodus in recent years hasn't been out of the city but rather to middle class areas across NYC...

So yes, I argue your points because they are one-sided and coming from a perspective solely based on your neighborhood when across the city that isn't happening... If you're going to make generalizations about an entire people, don't base facts on Mott Haven alone... Sobroguy did the same thing with crime statistics in 2010 and 2011... In 2010 when the murder rate increased and misdemeanors shot through the roof (conveniently), because the 40th wasn't as bad he boasted what a fantastic job the mayor was doing... In 2011, when crime overall rose slightly, but misdemeanors and murder rate went down but his 40th precinct saw a huge increase in the murder rate... he disregarded crime and said we all know crime is increasing blah blah blah...

All his ideas seem to be based off of his neighborhood as if he lives in some isolated planet... and to a certain extent you do as well... Now, that you hang around with the local transplants your ideas seem to have changed in recent years as well... As for me, you may disagree with my points but check my posts and see if I go back and forth and sway in my opinions and whether or not I haven't proven my opinions through article percentages or other facts...

Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
From a presentation I attended on changing demographics, I learned that the 2000 - 2010, Puerto Rican migration was mainly local. When Puerto Ricans moved, it was mainly within NYC, to different neighborhoods, including South Brooklyn, Staten Island, the Rockaways, and Queens, east of Bushwick. That's not to say that there wasn't a percentage moving to other places, including FL, LI, PA, NJ, Rockland, etc. but it was not the majority.

Also, the Puerto Rican population is the oldest (in terms of age and length of stay). When you consider that many of the Puerto Ricans came in the '40s and '50s and were born in the '30s, sadly, they're at an age where they're passing away.

I wouldn't try to predict the future based on the past. A lot will hinge on immigration laws. We'll see. It's going to be interesting.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You guys ignore the obvious though... You mention the economy in the city but disregard the economy downsouth which is either the same or worse... you mention the fact that Puerto Ricans have been leaving this city in droves for years but disregard your own articles which talk about how that movement has halted... You talk about people in your neighborhood moving out and make it seem as if they are moving out of the city when as others have pointed out the exodus in recent years hasn't been out of the city but rather to middle class areas across NYC...

So yes, I argue your points because they are one-sided and coming from a perspective solely based on your neighborhood when across the city that isn't happening... If you're going to make generalizations about an entire people, don't base facts on Mott Haven alone... Sobroguy did the same thing with crime statistics in 2010 and 2011... In 2010 when the murder rate increased and misdemeanors shot through the roof (conveniently), because the 40th wasn't as bad he boasted what a fantastic job the mayor was doing... In 2011, when crime overall rose slightly, but misdemeanors and murder rate went down but his 40th precinct saw a huge increase in the murder rate... he disregarded crime and said we all know crime is increasing blah blah blah...

All his ideas seem to be based off of his neighborhood as if he lives in some isolated planet... and to a certain extent you do as well... Now, that you hang around with the local transplants your ideas seem to have changed in recent years as well... As for me, you may disagree with my points but check my posts and see if I go back and forth and sway in my opinions and whether or not I haven't proven my opinions through article percentages or other facts...
Lol I hang out with everyone. Dude I'm a sociable person. For some a cultural incognito, hey your one of us from yuppies to poor Domincans and everyone in between i associate with or if not infiltrate these groups. This is how I pick up cultural cues of certain groups and so forth. If I was isolated and dilusional hell put me in a crazy house already. As for the 40th precinct the commander in charged of the precinct was called in after nye on how to bring down crime. I'm not sure if that's going to work maybe if ever. In matter afact you are right to some extent about people moving back. My Barber who is rican is from my hood he moved to Florida and then came back to cut hair again but then another job oppurtuniy opened up and he moved back to Florida and glad he left crime ridden mott haven and highly expensive nyc. Yo find me an article that people stop moving out of nyc or fast travel to 2021 and pull up census data.from iphone15 and post them this thread on how migration halted in nyc. during 2010 2020 era. I can not spruce up or post or put any appraisal to my hood unless if its positive for the community or anyone on this thread, most likely no one on here wont care including you, however I do enjoy reading your post. Last puerto ricans have a huge impact on my life. To this day many assume I'm a rican from the Bronx but I have been trying to shake that off. As for me hanging out with transplants? I'm just trying to sleep and smash with these fly over chicks from out of state.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-09-2012 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM

I hear you bro but with that said you're still ignoring the facts... What was the percentage decrease from 90-2000? the Puerto Rican population dipped nearly 15% from 2000-2009 the population dipped 1%... where are those numbers going? You keep telling me to check census data in 2020 and all these things but if i go by what these numbers tell me which Sobroguy posted... then where is that leading? 12% decrease from 90-00, 1% decrease from 00-09... what does that hold in store for the future? numbers say then it'll increase... Do i believe that? Probably not but I do think that the overall trend is no longer leaving NYC but rather remaining stagnant as I have said...

And that's all I'm claiming and I get blasted for it...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I hear you bro but with that said you're still ignoring the facts... What was the percentage decrease from 90-2000? the Puerto Rican population dipped nearly 15% from 2000-2009 the population dipped 1%... where are those numbers going? You keep telling me to check census data in 2020 and all these things but if i go by what these numbers tell me which Sobroguy posted... then where is that leading? 12% decrease from 90-00, 1% decrease from 00-09... what does that hold in store for the future? numbers say then it'll increase... Do i believe that? Probably not but I do think that the overall trend is no longer leaving NYC but rather remaining stagnant as I have said...

And that's all I'm claiming and I get blasted for it...
Oh nah I agree bro. All I know man is when the economy Picks up people without college degrees will begin to move enmass again. In my hood most ricans have moved out to better places with in the city or within the state or other parts of the country. On my blo k its growing Dominicans and Mexicans.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,868,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Bluedog2 posted this a while ago, and it's very interesting: Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

Wow The city was very racially segregated back in 1990, much much more so then today. I lost count on the amount of 95+% white areas where in the city back then. The census tract I live in was over 98% white back then [It's around 75% now].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City