Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:34 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,783,660 times

Advertisements

" New York City continues to be the home of the largest Puerto Rican community in the United States, with Philadelphia second, but Puerto Ricans live in all 50 states and the territories, with large numbers in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Texas."

is there something i'm missing...
Also, my numbers were taken from the latest track in 2010... The Puerto Rican pop. is somewhere around 900,000 the Dominican pop. is a little over 800,000 and is believed to take over the #1 spot very soon and within the same link they say that the hispanic population that will eventually replace both of these as number 1 is the mexican population which is growing rapidly... so I'm wondering where the information you say about NYC not being the #1 city in concentration of Puerto Ricans is coming from...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 04:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
" New York City continues to be the home of the largest Puerto Rican community in the United States, with Philadelphia second, but Puerto Ricans live in all 50 states and the territories, with large numbers in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Texas."

is there something i'm missing...
Also, my numbers were taken from the latest track in 2010... The Puerto Rican pop. is somewhere around 900,000 the Dominican pop. is a little over 800,000 and is believed to take over the #1 spot very soon and within the same link they say that the hispanic population that will eventually replace both of these as number 1 is the mexican population which is growing rapidly... so I'm wondering where the information you say about NYC not being the #1 city in concentration of Puerto Ricans is coming from...
There is no way that the current NYC RIcan population can be at 900K. If not you maybe probably talking about New York State which I can agree with because there are many Puerto Ricans upstate, but city wise NYC rican population is 3 quarters of a million roughly plus or minus.

Hispanic Heritage Month: NYC's Latino Population Becomes More Diverse, Dispersed - NY1.com

Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Yeah, I read the article that said it's about 800,000 PRs in NYC now. Still pretty big number though. I'm just asking about SP because I know they're still deep in the South Bronx, Bushwick, LES etc.
South Bronx Puerto Ricans are pretty deep however many are still moving out to either other parts of the North East Bronx or moving out of NYC all together. Also note I read somewhere that NYC Ricans are more liekly to live in Poverty compared to places like Florida which is cheaper, this is another indication that many Puerto Ricans wanna move from NYC due to high poverty conditions like high crime and poor performing schools.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,291,649 times
I had always thought that Chicago had the second largest PR population after New York?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM

423 posts, read 1,276,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I've been wondering about the PR population in Sunset Park. I've read they used to dominate that neighborhood but Mexicans now have overtaken it. Are there still any significant number of PRs in SP?
Yes there is still a significant amount of puerto ricans in the neighborhood. Around the 50-60s on 4th avenue they maintain a strong presence, as well as the low 50s on 5th avenue. 53rd street on 5th avenue has a huge puerto rican flag.

For the most part, they're the ghetto 2nd and 3rd generation puerto ricans, though.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM

652 posts, read 1,268,654 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
There is no way that the current NYC RIcan population can be at 900K. If not you maybe probably talking about New York State which I can agree with because there are many Puerto Ricans upstate, but city wise NYC rican population is 3 quarters of a million roughly plus or minus.

Hispanic Heritage Month: NYC's Latino Population Becomes More Diverse, Dispersed - NY1.com
I have been in Manhattan to a Puerto Rican parade, I am sure all the boroughs have their own? They even have it here in Allentown.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,983,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Don't disagree with what Sobroguy said for the most part, but I think that because he lives in an area concentrated with low-income PR's he doesn't see that the decline of PR's in certain neighborhoods isn't so much due to the exodus of PR's from NYC but more in part due to the increase of the middle class Puerto Rican population moving to a number of different working to middle class areas across the city... Areas like Pelham Bay in the Bronx, Park Slope in Brooklyn or any number of areas in Queens like Woodhaven, Ridgewood, Glendale or Maspeth... Again like Sobroguy said, there are a number of Puerto Ricans that have moved to areas like Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, NC, and Florida but the Puerto Rican population is still the highest in the country and it remains as the number one hispanic group in the city... Until the time comes when that no longer is the case which is probably sooner rather than later, to say that the PR populationis dwindling is a little out of whack...

To answer your second question the areas that have the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans in no specific order just based on the eye test would go like this... Again (I know the city well but cannot vouge for statistics so you can verify the numbers with other people who are more knowledgeable than I am about this topic)

Mott Haven, Bronx
Hunts Point, Bronx
Pelham Bay, Bronx
Spanish Harlem, Manhattan
Lower East Side, Manhattan (specifically towards Aves C and D)
Southside, Williamsburg
Bushwick, Brooklyn
Cypress Hills, Brooklyn
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Woodhaven, Queens
Ridgewood, Queens
Glendale, Queens (Especially along the Ridgewood/Bushwick border)
Maspeth, Queens (Moreso along the Ridgewood border)
Soundview and Castle Hill in the Bronx should both be atop that list.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM

801 posts, read 1,100,541 times
I could imagine how many Puerto Ricans you count day by day, Florida is pure Cubans!! Orlando also. And 900,000 still short the count!! I walk everywhere and I see them!! The city, Yonkers, LIC, Brooklyn , Bronx .many Puerto Ricans are in search for a better living.as the island is on a real crisis, 900 close to 1,000 murders by year. Plus you can really see the real drug addicts all around. Plus the government is trying to push PR as a new state for the US, witch it will never happened !! A lot of us won't never let go our pride as well. But as things has been turn on around here , there will be more PR coming over .

Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,155,825 times
The Puerto Ricans of the NYC city metro can be found everywhere, in every income strata and of every race. Many are also mixed ethnically. Italian-Puerto Rican, Irish-Puerto Rican, Dominican-Puerto Rican, African American- Puerto Rican. Although the populations are declining in traditionally low income areas (formally highest concentration), they are rising in middle and upper income nabes,

A lot more Puerto Ricans in areas like Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Pelham Bay, Pelham Parkway, Riverdale, Fieldston, the Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Chelsea, Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village, ect.

Even areas traditionally Puerto Rican, a demographic change for the better, like the Lower East Side, East Village, Williamsburg, East Harlem, ect.

Many of the "gentrifiers" I have met have been Puerto Rican decent. Born in the city, moved out when times were bad but now coming back.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 PM

652 posts, read 1,268,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
I could imagine how many Puerto Ricans you count day by day, Florida is pure Cubans!! Orlando also. And 900,000 still short the count!! I walk everywhere and I see them!! The city, Yonkers, LIC, Brooklyn , Bronx .many Puerto Ricans are in search for a better living.as the island is on a real crisis, 900 close to 1,000 murders by year. Plus you can really see the real drug addicts all around. Plus the government is trying to push PR as a new state for the US, witch it will never happened !! A lot of us won't never let go our pride as well. But as things has been turn on around here , there will be more PR coming over .
I lived in Miami and I agree Florida is pure Cubans. I never met a Puerto Rican there, I met a lot of people from Central or South America especially from Chile, Argentina or Brasil not many Mexicans either...and a lot of Haitians. Even the Calle Ocho is about the Cubans in downtown Miami which it was a very nice experience...Cubans for some reasons don't spread that much in the US besides Miami. I know that Cubans back in the day "spread their verizon" in Eastern Europe....especially in Hungary....(it kind of make sense why because communist was better in Hungary than in Cuba...). I wonder why Puerto Ricans didn't choose the south first since Miami would have been the first paradise just like for the Asians the West coast....maybe too many competitions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City