Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM

10 posts, read 153,061 times

Advertisements

hi,
I'm a 22 years old student, and I'm looking to live in nyc. But the only thing is that I don't know where to go!!!!
I'm going to school at baruch which is on lexinghton and 24th. And I just want to send no more than 1300$ for a one bedroom.

do you where I can live for that??? somewhere next to my school and where their is some young people????
Is harlem a good place to live ???
brooklin???
I'm from france so I don't realy know where to look.
I just need some help>>>>> thanks a lot

Last edited by jlefevere; 08-21-2007 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:30 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
Housing | Undergraduate Admissions | Baruch College

Click the link for more info.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM

10 posts, read 153,061 times
any more sugestion????

Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Default Bonjour!

Unfortunately, it is VERY unlikely that you will find a one-bedroom apartment conveniently located for your school for $1300. You might possibly be able to find a studio (one room) for $1300, or else you might share an apartment. Sharing might be a good idea for you, because you'll automatically have someone to help you around. I don't know if you'd feel comfortable in Harlem, but Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, or New Jersey might be options for you.

Here are some things you can do:

1. Contact Baruch and ask if they have a bulletin board for students for housing.
2. Contact the housing departments of other nearby schools (New York University, School of Visual Arts, Hunter College) to ask if they have any kind of internet site where you could find a roommate.
3. Check Craig's List for apartments. Go to craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, click on "New York" on the right side, then click on "Rooms/Shared" at the top.
4. Ask for advice on Craig's List. Again, go to the main page, click on "New York" on the right, then click on "Discussion Forums" on the lower right, then "Housing."

Please keep in mind that NYC is a difficult city for apartments, so plan to arrive early to give yourself time.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:02 AM

314 posts, read 492,620 times
france isn't your typical outsider....i'm inclined to help this guy out. i've always liked french people. ok, bro. first, you could probably get a place in the city for $1300/month, but you're going to have a roommate. additionally, it's going to be in the 90's in the UES. second, 24/lex is very 4,5,6 train friendly and it's close enough to union sq. so that you can look at neighborhoods off the N/R/Q lines, too. stay out of williamburg. it's too hot, hip, douchy, etc. right now. they'll take all your money, stick you in a bad part of town, and you'll hate life. brooklyn heights, park slope, and DUMBO are all open to you at that price, but the same rules for the City apply....you'll have a roommate, although you all's living space will be bigger. if you're deadset on living alone, then i'd look at bay ridge (my neighborhood; i can talk to you more about it, if you're interested), gravesend, marine park, or sunset park. you could look in astoria (you'll want to watch how far away from the train you get, though...it's a big neighborhood; many own cars there b/c the walking distance) or LIC (you'll want to stay closer to the N or R-train than the F-train, though....N/R will connect you to downtown 6 at 59th st., F will drop you at 63 and no inside transfer to the 6). good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM

22 posts, read 114,060 times
My advice - and take this with a grain of salt since I although I've spent a lot of time there, I've never actually lived in NYC itself - is don't rule out living in New Jersey, provided you're willing to spend a little time commuting.

A search on Craigslist for apartments $1300 or under in Hoboken turned up quite a lot of results, so if you find yourself frustrated trying to find an apartment in your price range in the city, Jersey could be a good option.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
You might also want to take a look at Astoria off of the N/W (well, maybe just the N in the future).

Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
The OP posted this one and a half years ago. I'm sure he/she has resolved the issue.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-26-2009 at 05:27 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM

40 posts, read 195,822 times
Bushwick?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,030 times
In my opinion it's most cost efficient and fun to live with 1 or 2 roommates, either in Brooklyn or Queens. By now there are some good roommate services like [url=http://www.rumr.co]Find roommates in NYC[/url] or [url=http://www.spareroom.com]SpareRoom.com - find roommates and rooms to rent[/url].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: