Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,820 times

Advertisements

Hi, i currently live in Oklahoma and will be moving n late November early December. Cost of living here is very cheap and you can get by with only working the bare minimum. I'm 20 years old and haven't really accomplished anything as far as university go's. I'm looking to attend the NYC city college in manhattan. I imagine I will be earning minimum wage nd earnin what ever I can. I will also be paying rent alone. Or at least until my dog gets a job. any ways I need to live in a decent proximity to where I could make it to school on time in the morning. Then make it back home before work. Now is this possible. Ice tried to figure expenses but I'm really blind when it comes to these things. I'm hoping to get some advice about finding a cheap studio apartment. Maybe how much I could afford. I wouldnt be coming in with any bills or debt aside from feeding my dog which I Need to figure him in 100 every month. Wich location to live in? I was looking at some places on craigslist for upper manhattan. The cheapest places I could find were between 850 and up. That's fairly cheap but I'm just not sure I could afford it. My curnt health insurance won't cover me in NYC so I'd have to find that. I'd have to have utilities,food,laundry,shoes,money to pay my copay if I need to go dentist or doctor, transportation, everyday household items. I'm just not sure how much this will all end up costing me.. Please help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 12:53 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Just finish your degree in Oklahoma, try to get some internships in NYC, give your dog to a relative, save about 10 grand, and then you can consider the move.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:18 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackorr View Post
Hi, i currently live in Oklahoma and will be moving n late November early December. Cost of living here is very cheap and you can get by with only working the bare minimum. I'm 20 years old and haven't really accomplished anything as far as university go's. I'm looking to attend the NYC city college in manhattan. I imagine I will be earning minimum wage nd earnin what ever I can. I will also be paying rent alone. Or at least until my dog gets a job. any ways I need to live in a decent proximity to where I could make it to school on time in the morning. Then make it back home before work. Now is this possible. Ice tried to figure expenses but I'm really blind when it comes to these things. I'm hoping to get some advice about finding a cheap studio apartment. Maybe how much I could afford. I wouldnt be coming in with any bills or debt aside from feeding my dog which I Need to figure him in 100 every month. Wich location to live in? I was looking at some places on craigslist for upper manhattan. The cheapest places I could find were between 850 and up. That's fairly cheap but I'm just not sure I could afford it. My curnt health insurance won't cover me in NYC so I'd have to find that. I'd have to have utilities,food,laundry,shoes,money to pay my copay if I need to go dentist or doctor, transportation, everyday household items. I'm just not sure how much this will all end up costing me.. Please help me!

Unlike Oklahoma, you cannot get by with the bare minimum in NYC. Do you have savings? What type of experience do you have in terms of work?

Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
It sounds like your budget is very low. You may find it difficult here. I strongly suggest (at least for now) not bringing the dog. You're already stretched to the limit and your dog could prove to be a real liability.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:20 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Detrmining where to live isn't a concern, how you will earn money is.

You have no education, no knowledge, no experience, nothing with which to obtain a job in which you could suppport yourself. You will starve and wind up selling your body for a bag of Fritos!

You cannot live here by working at McDonald's nor any of the ways you can minimally get by in OK.

You need to get an education, get a job, get some work experience, and save. $10K w/b an absolute minimum amount necessary to attempt a move.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:02 PM

241 posts, read 591,664 times
if you can't afford $850... it's hard to imagine how you can afford to live in a studio in the city.

Simple life Manhattan: a 90-square-foot microstudio - YouTube
$700. 90 square feet. upper (west side) manhattan

At best you're going to find a share (ie roommates) a bit away from the city. Going back home between school and work will be rather annoying, if not unrealistic. You will just need to carry your change of clothes with you.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 PM

446 posts, read 997,284 times
If you can't afford $850 (and $850 is barebones MINIMUM for just rent, not including utilities or other expenses) then there's really no way you could live out here. You'd be miserable and stressed everyday, you wouldn't even be able to enjoy what this city has to offer, which, at that point... why even move if you can't somewhat enjoy where you are living? If you're in school, it may be a different story if you can get a job along with grants, etc, but I'd still caution you to think this through very carefully.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
This had troll post written all over it... No offense but i'm surprised so many people took the bait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City