Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times

Advertisements

Why do transplants care so much about what natives think of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 AM

124 posts, read 219,737 times
I see, I see...'cause I know here if we see someone with out of state plates (mostly Wisconsin and sometimes Indiana) or sporting Packers gear or something we always make comments to them...but I would assume that's more of a state vs state thing, like how you guys have your New York vs New Jersey thing going on. (Like my Grandma, who's from Newburgh, tells me, "The best thing about New Jersey is its view of New York.")

And this is to SeventhFloor...why Ohioans? I mean, I've been there and I get the vibe that it's trailer park country, but what about them stands out?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post

And this is to SeventhFloor...why Ohioans? I mean, I've been there and I get the vibe that it's trailer park country, but what about them stands out?
Oh, you know, when we are insulting people, we don't want to have to use long words like Indiana and Wisconsin. Also, we are not really sure exactly where they are located. We think they are in the Midwest, but if we think TOO hard, we start thinking that Wisconsin might be over near Montana, and is that still the Midwest?

It's confusing, and who wants to get out a map when all we want to do is issue a quick little insult? Also, Wisconsin and Indiana are a bit too hard to spell, too. Ohio fits the bill just fine.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
As others have mentioned, I don't think I have ever heard a single person utter the word "transplant" in real life. Its more a very vocal minority that like to beat it to death on the Internet.

Someone else mentioned jealously, which I think is a good point. I'm sorry that I have the skills and knowledge to be in demand and have moved across the country several times for increasingly better and better jobs and you're still in the same little area from birth to death (k maybe that was a litlte mean and there are plenty of exceptions to this )

And again, just go take a look at Detroit if you want a place without transplants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Why do transplants care so much about what natives think of them?
They don't? This thread wasn't started by a transplant.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
As others have mentioned, I don't think I have ever heard a single person utter the word "transplant" in real life. Its more a very vocal minority that like to beat it to death on the Internet.

Someone else mentioned jealously, which I think is a good point. I'm sorry that I have the skills and knowledge to be in demand and have moved across the country several times for increasingly better and better jobs and you're still in the same little area from birth to death (k maybe that was a litlte mean and there are plenty of exceptions to this )

And again, just go take a look at Detroit if you want a place without transplants.

They don't? This thread wasn't started by a transplant.
Oh... Thank you febtober I almost forgot the main reason why people find transplants annoying... There arrogance... You highlighted it very nicely though, appreciate it... Also @ available, you don't need to give people who are blatant hipocrits about being "malcontents" time of day... If they have formed there opinions already about 10 million new yorkers based on a board that has maybe 5-10 complainers then there intelligence level really isn't all that high...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 PM

110 posts, read 300,063 times
I don't hate transplants. I despise tourists.

And hipsters.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:32 PM

124 posts, read 219,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Oh, you know, when we are insulting people, we don't want to have to use long words like Indiana and Wisconsin. Also, we are not really sure exactly where they are located. We think they are in the Midwest, but if we think TOO hard, we start thinking that Wisconsin might be over near Montana, and is that still the Midwest?

It's confusing, and who wants to get out a map when all we want to do is issue a quick little insult? Also, Wisconsin and Indiana are a bit too hard to spell, too. Ohio fits the bill just fine.
...are you trying to make New Yorkers seem stupid? Kinda outta left field there. A normal, non-smart ass response would be better received next time, just lettin' you know.

Moderator cut: Orphaned comment: Refers to an orphaned post

Moccawaii, who doesn't hate hipsters? And hey, it may be fun to poke fun at tourists but think, they bring your city money. That's good!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Orphaned comment

Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
PLEASE before it starts, this is NOT a thread about hipsters. We have enough of those on the forum.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,817 times
The only time ppl hate on transplants here is when they overwhelmingly move into their neighborhoods and make rent prices skyrocket and ppl just complain here and there other than that nobody cares.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Prior to 9 11 NYC culturally was detached from the rest of the nation. After 9 11 many Americans felt NYC was American and is part of the American experience, which it always was.

I dont hate Transplants, they are a bit different and its real hard to relate with them because these people come from farms, main street, generic suburbs and tend to stick with other transplants compared to hanging or getting to know local natives. Also Transplants for the majority of them are not into Professional sports teams and for many its all about college sports teams like Tarheels, Sooners, Buckeyes and goooooo Gators. Transplants who move to NYC now are way different then those compared to Madonna who left Michigan behind and adapted to NYC culture, these Transplants bring with them Florida, Wisconsin, Ohio, Nebraska, Georgia. Georgia wait a min didnt Black Americans bring Georgia with them during the 1st great and 2nd great black migration to NYC? But yeah if anything at least if I want to experience Ohio or North Dakota I can visit the East Village, WIlliamsburg or Astoria for that. It saves me a plane ticket. Transplants are really cool people and easy to get to know them even if there attire consists of flip flops iphone4 and starbucks in hand. Plus Transplant women are hot and have less baggage compared to average NYC chick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City