Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM

27 posts, read 99,555 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I'm looking for a three bedroom apartment in Brooklyn and my maximum budget is $2000 dollars. I've done some searching online, and spent the day walking around Brooklyn. A lot of the available places seem to be in Crown Heights, Bushwick, etc. None of what I saw was very appealing.

I'm just looking for something affordable, in a relatively nice/safe area, with decent public transport nearby, and ideally some shops and restaurants. Where should I be looking? What are some good websites that have apartment listings? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
In Brooklyn, a decent neighborhood to check would be Bay Ridge. It can be a hike to get to Manhattan, but offers a good neighborhood and you should be able to find rents at, or under $2k, since the area has many multi-family homes, which tend to rent for less than larger buildings. It's not mere minutes from Manhattan like Brooklyn Heights, but is worth checking out if you want Brooklyn.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Too bad you are not looking in the Bronx, I could find you a place with 4 bed, 2 bath and parking but you pay all utilities

Old 10-13-2011, 03:21 PM

27 posts, read 99,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
In Brooklyn, a decent neighborhood to check would be Bay Ridge. It can be a hike to get to Manhattan, but offers a good neighborhood and you should be able to find rents at, or under $2k, since the area has many multi-family homes, which tend to rent for less than larger buildings. It's not mere minutes from Manhattan like Brooklyn Heights, but is worth checking out if you want Brooklyn.
What are we talking as far as a commute time to manhattan? How are the bars/restaurants/shops down there?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFox14 View Post
What are we talking as far as a commute time to manhattan? How are the bars/restaurants/shops down there?
Lower Manhattan about 35-45 minutes or so, and probably 45-60 minutes to Midtown, using the subway.

It's a typical New York neighborhood, so it has a selection of local restaurants and shops, not too bad insofar as conveniences and shops. You would find everything from a bagel shop to sporting goods, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-03-2020, 03:14 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
Damn how rents have changed.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:35 AM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
Sorry to say but you not going to find anything appealing at 2K or under in NYC.
A 3BR at 2k or under almost impossible to find in my opinion. It’s hard enough to find a place with 2BR at 2k.
Unless you have roommates and can split a 4-5k apartment 3 ways.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:45 AM

494 posts, read 557,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Sorry to say but you not going to find anything appealing at 2K or under in NYC.
A 3BR at 2k or under almost impossible to find in my opinion. It’s hard enough to find a place with 2BR at 2k.
Unless you have roommates and can split a 4-5k apartment 3 ways.

You are right, now you can't find it but the question was posted in 2011 I'm surprised the thread wasn't already closed

Old 04-03-2020, 08:50 AM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
You are right, now you can't find it but the question was posted in 2011 I'm surprised the thread wasn't already closed
LOL wow! Didn’t even notice that! I see now someone bumped it to the top by replying to the thread!

Old 04-03-2020, 08:51 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
The following is only my opinion:

A three bedroom for $2,000?....................Trust me.

Any realtor would have already passed that info to a family member or friend.

Such apartments can only be gotten by word of mouth.................Shhhhhhhhhhhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: