Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM

87 posts, read 77,612 times

Advertisements

why is it happening, and what is the precise goal of that movement?

will they really accomplish anything, it's better those young people go to work, instead. Let them work make it more possible to reach '1%'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
I heard somewhere that Occupy Wall Street is being funded by George Soros because he wants to make the world better by promoting these things in order to equalize the wealth between rich and poor.

I think the reason why Occupy Wall Street is happening is because since the economy worldwide is getting worse, people just want to live easier. Many people in America can't find jobs, they have lots of debts, and are getting their homes foreclosed. The way people think now to solve the problem is to promote higher taxes and more regulations for the rich and big corporations to in some sense redistribute excess wealth to the poorer and middle class. Eventually though it shows people are beginning to like the idea of sharing, and Occupy Wall Street is but a small part of the idea there in society there should be sharing of resources, wealth, and livability to all people equally.

I think Occupy Wall Street at its core is the physical manifestation of the idea that is being put into people's minds that sharing is the answer. Along with sharing, Occupy Wall Street's goal is also to end the power corporations have over government and civil society, and about giving power back to private citizens to choose their own destiny which they believe will create a greater society with less hardship and suffering.

I think it will accomplish something eventually, but maybe within 2-3 years time these ideas as expounded by Occupy Wall Street will take effect in a BIG way and will lead to a transformation of society and consciousness.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Good Post JKF except for the bit about being funded by George Soros...that's pure Fox News nonsense. Just walk down to Zuccotti Park and you will see how much funding these kids (and ellderly optimists) have.

You got a Rep point from me.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
There once was a time in which supporting industry meant supporting the US economy, because a thriving business creates more jobs. But now businesses are stabbing this country in the back, moving jobs out of the country and actually lobbying for the interests of foriegn countries. Our Congress people need to raise lots of money for their re election campaigns, so cater to these businesses and foriegn interests and the American people get screwed in the process.

Both parties have been involved in stabbing the American citizen in the back. After the Great Depression there was created the Glass-Steagall Act, which was successful in preventing another depression. Every administration, from Reagen down, tore bits of it apart until, under Bush (the son) it was entirely destroyed.

People are sick of the stock market doing well while their sons and daughters go without jobs. It used to be that each generation of citizens saw their children do better than they did. This is no longer happening. Even the jobs that illegals do, if the salary were allowed to reach its natural level, as it should if this were a free market, you would eventually see Americans taking these jobs.

If kids cannot get jobs, good paying entry level jobs in the field they are trained in, they will stay in debt for a good chunk of their lives, paying back their college tuition. Social security is in trouble. What are these young people to do concerning saving for their own retirement? Are they never able to afford a family?

This is a dilemma faced by Western countries the world over. It is not about poor people wanting a hand out as much as it is about middle class families needing jobs. It's about business controlling our politics, controlling the situation no matter which way we vote.

It's about taxation without representation all over again.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There once was a time in which supporting industry meant supporting the US economy, because a thriving business creates more jobs. But now businesses are stabbing this country in the back, moving jobs out of the country and actually lobbying for the interests of foriegn countries. Our Congress people need to raise lots of money for their re election campaigns, so cater to these businesses and foriegn interests and the American people get screwed in the process.
Unfortunately you don't know which happened first....all the increases in corporate taxes by the fed and state gov'ts or moving jobs out of the country. But the US does tax its corporations more than any other nation in the world.

Both parties have been involved in stabbing the American citizen in the back. After the Great Depression there was created the Glass-Steagall Act, which was successful in preventing another depression. Every administration, from Reagen down, tore bits of it apart until, under Bush (the son) it was entirely destroyed.
Agreed...Repubs and Demos...really stuck it to us

People are sick of the stock market doing well while their sons and daughters go without jobs. It used to be that each generation of citizens saw their children do better than they did. This is no longer happening. Even the jobs that illegals do, if the salary were allowed to reach its natural level, as it should if this were a free market, you would eventually see Americans taking these jobs.
Two-fold...someone cannot expect to go to a private college for $30K a year for a major in journalism and expect that kind of return out in the job world. Go to a college that you can afford.

Not advocating illegals doing jobs of Americans but you put Americans in those positions at the salaries what you describe should be at a natural level and we'll be paying $25 for a gallong of milk and $20 for a loaf of bread.

If kids cannot get jobs, good paying entry level jobs in the field they are trained in, they will stay in debt for a good chunk of their lives, paying back their college tuition. Social security is in trouble. What are these young people to do concerning saving for their own retirement? Are they never able to afford a family?
Not all entry level jobs are good paying. It took me several years to go through a bunch of jobs before I landed the right one and the ones I took on were low paying and poorly managed companies but I gained some work experience. Again go to a college you can either afford or risk the debt you may incur from college loans...we all did. This generation of kids (I'm part of it) feels like its entitled to everything because mommy and daddy gave them everything growing up. You have i-this and i-that. Not till the parents cut off their kids will the kids know how to be financially responsible for everything they choose and want.

This is a dilemma faced by Western countries the world over. It is not about poor people wanting a hand out as much as it is about middle class families needing jobs. It's about business controlling our politics, controlling the situation no matter which way we vote.
I believe its a combination of both. Its human nature to be envious of someone who has more than you and easily gets it. Poor people don't want the handout because they already have it...its called welfare and public housing. And if unemployment benefits get extended any more, we may as well call that welfare 2.0.

But yes...how lobbying is still around is beyond me. But since every major corporation is doing it, it's like you have to do it as a company to survive in todays business and economic climate. Businesses do seem to have too much involvement in steering politics these days.

It's about taxation without representation all over again.
I agree...over 200 yrs later here we are again. And the actual right people I believe that would be able to get us out of this mess won't ever run for any political office and if they did, the current corrupt officeholders are able to cast aside opponents easily with smear campaigns etc. All I know is at the end of the day, the 99% easily outnumber the 1%. Gold may be the highest costing precious metal but soon one day, food will be the best commodity.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 PM

124 posts, read 219,718 times
"We need a revolution every 200 years, because all governments become stale and corrupt after 200 years." - Ben Franklin

And not a revolution in the Middle East where we all act like idiots and let another dictator group take control, we wipe the slate clean except for the Constitution and Bill of Rights and rebuild, actually making sure the government doesn't step out of line like it has for a while now.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Why so? The Constitution has a bunch of flaws that could be fixed if we're starting from scratch again.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM

124 posts, read 219,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Why so? The Constitution has a bunch of flaws that could be fixed if we're starting from scratch again.
What's flawed about it? The check and balance system so that one branch doesn't control another? If we keep that and the Bill of Rights, we can still have Amendments. Most of the "flaws" are that people are idiots and don't know how to interpret the wording (ie "All men are created equal", men meaning people. In English as well as numerous other languages, when you refer to a group of people, men and women, you use the masculine to describe the group).

Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
What's flawed about it? The check and balance system so that one branch doesn't control another? If we keep that and the Bill of Rights, we can still have Amendments. Most of the "flaws" are that people are idiots and don't know how to interpret the wording (ie "All men are created equal", men meaning people. In English as well as numerous other languages, when you refer to a group of people, men and women, you use the masculine to describe the group).
It IS flawed, which is why business has been able to take control this way.

What we need is someone who is able to formulate a functional checks and balances between business and unions, business and the public good. Maybe allow for no lobbiests at all. No exceptions. Maybe no Congress person should be able to work for a corp if he has voted on an issue pertinent to that corporation. I really don't know, but I would love to hear some suggestions from better minds than mine.

It was labor unions who changed the US and created a vast middle class that was rich enough to purchase the products our corps. produced. I think this could happen on a worldwide level if unions could also go into third world countries. It would tend to raise up salaries and create a middle class in these countries. Instead, there is a great shift downwards in salaries because there is no check to the corporations.

Yeah, the unions got out of hand, but you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, which is what the South did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City