Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: deleted post
I don't mean in a sense a person of color cannot be a good mayor. But voting soley for that reason is not a good idea...

Also, since I've seen people out and out state their racial supremcist views (you should read the Detroit forums), I'd say your a tad bit internet sheltered.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-06-2007 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-06-2007, 12:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
I don't mean in a sense a person of color cannot be a good mayor. But voting soley for that reason is not a good idea...

Also, since I've seen people out and out state their racial supremcist views (you should read the Detroit forums), I'd say your a tad bit internet sheltered.
If you didn't mean to offend, maybe you should consider the way you phrase things. That post was borderline troll behavior.

Yeah I've floated around the other forums on here, the Miami forum is pretty rough too.

I was saying your comment was one (there have been others) of the most offensive I've seen in this particular forum (NYC).

Old 09-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
If you didn't mean to offend, maybe you should consider the way you phrase things. That post was borderline troll behavior.

Yeah I've floated around the other forums on here, the Miami forum is pretty rough too.

I was saying your comment was one (there have been others) of the most offensive I've seen in this particular forum (NYC).
I'm a very get-to-the-point person. I know that sometimes rubs people the wrong way, it's one of my cleavates.

I would love for a bloomberg-esque mayor of any color (Thompson maybe???, Scatman? )), but unfortunetly, a lot of ethnic politicans (including white ethnics) tend to see cities though their own personal prism. I wasn't going to vote for Mark Green either FYI.

Also, It would be nice if before turning on the fire alarms, you actually take posts in context. The vast majority of heavy posters probably have one or two posts that taken as an individual, are extremely offensive. But when you factor me standing up for people of color as well, you'd know that wasn't what I meant.

A poster is a sum of his post, not just his lowest moment.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Lindsay.....intentions to help poor were great, but paying for it became a disaster!

Beame....Inherited Lindsay's problems, which became worse. Being the last of the Tammanys didn't help.

Koch.....Great, charismatic mayor, but admin corruption, racial clashes took him down.

Dinkins....Too indecisive and too much tennis.

Guiliani....."Rudy Guiliani doesn't care about Black people!"

Bloomberg......How to run and redo a city! 1) like a business. 2) Balance budget; 3) keep costs low (NYPD, FD rookies!). 4) Scrap old school way of schools 5) Enhance housing development.
(of course, everyone the way all of these are done, but.....!).

Old 09-06-2007, 12:45 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I vaguely remember Koch (I was too young still) so I can't really comment on him too much. Apparently most people looking back, liked him as a mayor.

Dinkins was a bad mayor. Came up short in the big moments.

Guilliani was a master manipulator, and a very divisive mayor. I'm not a big Guilliani guy.

Bloomberg is the type of mayor I wish NYC would always have. Independent, qualified, not a career politician, good foresight. I like what he has done with the schools, a lot of the stuff he is implementing there with Klein will take years to show results, but I really think he is doing things that will take NYC public education in the right direction. My one big knock on Bloomberg is what he is allowing to happen with the NYPD. I think upcoming mayors will pay big time for that unless they adress it right away.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Lindsay.....intentions to help poor were great, but paying for it became a disaster!

Beame....Inherited Lindsay's problems, which became worse. Being the last of the Tammanys didn't help.

Koch.....Great, charismatic mayor, but admin corruption, racial clashes took him down.

Dinkins....Too indecisive and too much tennis.

Guiliani....."Rudy Guiliani doesn't care about Black people!"

Bloomberg......How to run and redo a city! 1) like a business. 2) Balance budget; 3) keep costs low (NYPD, FD rookies!). 4) Scrap old school way of schools 5) Enhance housing development.
(of course, everyone the way all of these are done, but.....!).

I think you nailed it until point 3 on Bloomberg. 25k for a police rookie is a disgrace. Hell, 37k (which is what they made before) is a disgrace. The city needs more cops making more money, period. Cut the bureauocracy, not the police force (like Librarians making union wages).

Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
It should also be noted that Bloomberg did not come up with those salaries, it was in fact the police unions who wanted a fat raise for senior people, and they took the money from new recruits. If anyone should be held accountable, it is the police unions...it was their deal.

Just the facts.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
I think you nailed it until point 3 on Bloomberg. 25k for a police rookie is a disgrace. Hell, 37k (which is what they made before) is a disgrace. The city needs more cops making more money, period. Cut the bureauocracy, not the police force (like Librarians making union wages).
Didn't say I agreed with it, but that's how you keep costs low. Add to it, as Guyw/cause said, a union that's out for themselves and not their future, and you've just succeeded in keeping the costs down!

Note that Roger Toussaint didn't go for that! He knew the deal!

Old 09-06-2007, 06:53 PM

314 posts, read 492,279 times
Quote:
In a way, Dinkins winning was a good thing in the long run. Moderator cut: not appropriate

Bloomberg is an excellent mayor fiscally, but he underpays the NYPD far too little, which is very dangerous in the long run. And progress with the schools is slow.
this is one of the funniest things i've ever seen on this forum

Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Roseba as I stated in another thread. You will clearly be "happier" in the suburbs, as city life is not for you, at least not anymore. And that's okay.

I suspect however, that you would have posed the same argument about buying 5 years ago...the naysayers always find a reason not to buy, or not to do something that will improve their lifestyle. It is much easier to complain. Had you purchased 5 years ago, you may be enjoying the lifestyle that you seek, and that many already have in the city.
You are missing the point. I'm not enamoured with Suburbia.

I'm just not enamoured with paying URBAN prices for non-URBAN ameneties.

If you are going to live way out in Podunk, NYC, then you shouldn't be paying TONS of money to be there. Especially since in Podunk, you can't walk everywhere. You have to take a bus or a train in order to do anything that NY is famed for.

I love city life in what it has to offer. But what does living in Podunk, NYC have anything to do with what the city have to offer? Other than price and city grit, and crowding what does it posess?

So if you going to have to TRAVEL an hour or more, to have that enriched experience NY is famous for, then you might as well be in the suburbs, because at least it's cheaper and quieter. But suburbia in this region is even farther away and still expensive as hell.

If you think you are enjoying the city by living in Podunk, you are fooling yourself. With the exception of Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope and a few other neighbhorhoods far and in between, ALL neighborhoods are Podunk and require an hour of travel for anything decent. (Health food store, classical music, art gallery, GOOD FOOD from restaraunts. )

5 years ago, btw, we were planning to relocate to Seattle or Portland. 20 minutes out of Portland you can get acres of land in a psuedo rural environment and still enjoy downtown Portland. The point is, if you have to travel to "downtown" the cultured section of town, then it better be cheap where you live or spacious,

After 9/11 happened, our livelihood took a major hit for a long time. Recovering from that and getting on solid financial ground has been an arduous task. You can't relocate without cash on hand.

Last edited by roseba; 09-17-2007 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City