Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 PM

314 posts, read 492,778 times

Advertisements

i'm not going to get into it here b/c i'll wind-up writing a book about how f*cking stupid the whole racist charge against the FDNY is. having said that...you people have really surprised me. when i read the OP, i thought for sure that i was going to have to grab my verbal machette and start hacking away at some pinko, douche, uber-liberal nonsense. alas, i was surprised...well done fellow posters. you seem to have more level heads than i gave you credit for. also, i'm not offended by the slang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 AM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i'm not going to get into it here b/c i'll wind-up writing a book about how f*cking stupid the whole racist charge against the FDNY is. having said that...you people have really surprised me. when i read the OP, i thought for sure that i was going to have to grab my verbal machette and start hacking away at some pinko, douche, uber-liberal nonsense. alas, i was surprised...well done fellow posters. you seem to have more level heads than i gave you credit for. also, i'm not offended by the slang!
Genuine New Yorkers will always see things for how they are, not for any utopian how-things-should-be. We are what we are: a bunch of micks, wops, hymies, spics, dot-heads, chinks and ******s. And we're all in it together.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 AM

127 posts, read 521,298 times
What the ****? ****** doesn't post, but the rest are free-for-all? That's the funniest thing ever! So much for "political correctness"!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 10,990 times
could it be that the Irish and Italian firefighters are all LEGAL...I can tell you that noone has ever refused to be rescued from their wrecked car or burning home because some of the crew on the truck was Irish or Italian.....let me guess, you're one of those people that complain because it took the ambulance 15 minutes to get to their home yesterday, but last week you couldn't be bothered to pull over when I was behind you with lights and sirens going trying to get to a call

Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish696 View Post
could it be that the Irish and Italian firefighters are all LEGAL...I can tell you that noone has ever refused to be rescued from their wrecked car or burning home because some of the crew on the truck was Irish or Italian.....let me guess, you're one of those people that complain because it took the ambulance 15 minutes to get to their home yesterday, but last week you couldn't be bothered to pull over when I was behind you with lights and sirens going trying to get to a call
all the irish FDNY are legal. they applied, took the written and physical test, and waited for their number to be called. i think that the reason people get so heated about this issue is that they don't understand how the system works. once you take those tests, you get a score. the score is logged onto a database. every cycle, the city tells the FDNY how many new positions are available. the FDNY pulls up the list, starts at the top (highest score), and draws a line at the requested number. eg., if the city needs 30 new fireman this cycle, the top 30 are called. if any candidate called rejects the offer, it is extended to the next subsequent candidate. therefore, (using the hypo. above) if 3 candidates of the 30 no longer wanted to become firemen, then numbers 31, 32, and 33 would be offered the position. the FDNY takes extraoridinary steps to ensure that their basis for offering positions is point-based. no other factors are considered. other than pro. sports, it is the most merit-based system in existence.

i cannot understand the current argument against it. i did feel that points given for college work was questionable and that imposing a degree requirement was ridiculous. what does a fireman need to know about french literature to be a good fireman? are we looking for a scholar or a fireman here? however, the arbitrary standard of education exists for MOST jobs, and it is equally ridiculous for many of them, as well. however, the FDNY's removal of the education requirement negates that argument.

the FDNY written test is far from intellectually taxing. i know many fireman who have GED's, earned years after failing out of high school. i would definitely question the potential and competency of anyone who could not score highly on that test. that blacks fail the test in droves does not indict the test. it is a sad testiment to the basic intellectual prowess of those who scored poorly.

awarding race-based points is immoral and illegal. the Supreme Court has ruled against this practice. moreover, the Court has ruled that basic competency tests are legal, even if they disproportionately affect a certain group. having a competent fire rescue force is infinitely more important than having an incompetent but racially representative force.

at the end of the day, for whatever reason, blacks do not seem to be interested in becoming firemen. so be it. i don't want firemen that i have to beg and persuade to become firemen. i want firemen who want to become firemen. if a black guy truly wants to become a fireman, performs well on the racially-neutral test, and is denied a position b/c he is black, we have a problem. but, no one is accusing the FDNY of the above practice. instead, the FDNY is accused of not offering enough incentives to blacks in an effort to convince them to become firemen, having a test that is 'too difficult' (talk about INSULTING) for blacks to pass, and an aggregate of undefined, smoke-in-mirrors, misty causes that result in low black representation.

this current lawsuit is frivolous and designed to harrass. i look forward to the federal judge urniating all over those who brought it. in a final word to anyone who wants to become a fireman....study for the test, stay motivated, stay positive, do what you can to earn extra points (take that basket-weaving class at the local community college; it's impossible to fail if your IQ is > 82, and you'll get points), and take the test.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,990 times
Thank you straightshooter....very well spoken...easy to understand...I'm sorry, but the "idjut" got my Irish up...its the red hair...I have no control over it;}

Old 08-24-2007, 07:49 PM

435 posts, read 1,521,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
Look, I can't speak for everyone, but you know Me and Mead got your back on the whole "White Flight" thing.

But then again, it's their (italians/irish) own fault if they cave, not anyone elses.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:36 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
straightshooter your post was right on for the most part, but I don't understand what you said about black people failing the test in droves. As far as I know, not a lot of black people take the FDNY test to begin with. Even after they lowered the standards, I think there was only a modest increase in the number of Non-Whites and females taking the test. Does anyone have actual figures? I may be wrong.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 PM

^correct. i should have said 'abnormally high percentages.' it's more accurate than a total number count.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 38,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
In a City that is now mostly immigrants, I get a kick out of the Firefighters in New York City. It seems the majority of them are Irish or Italian, and talk like old fashioned New Yorker's. It seems like few ethnic minorities can get a job as a New York City Fireman. What happened to Diversity or Affirmative Action?

This seems to be also true somewhat in NYC's Police Force. What is up?
To dingler the nypd & nyfd spend millions on recritment, have you ever thought maybe some people are not interested in being a cop or firefighter it's not for everyone. Why should any agency have to lower there standards,if anyone wants a career in any of the too agencys they should rise up to met the challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City