U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 05:30 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,367,921 times

Advertisements

There's a bunch of trees by the 242 St. stop. That platform that bridges Broadway overlooks them.

If you go walking amid them, there are plaques set in the ground, commemorating some individual guys in WWII who died. Some, just months before the war ended. Lots are missing, I guess some crackheads pried them up, or something. And, many are scuffed up and neglected.

Is there any interest in restoring these plaques? Hell, I know something about metalwork, I'd put in a bunch of hours for free, if anyone's interested.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM

From the NYC Parks Department Web Site"

"Memorial Grove was created to honor Bronx men who served in World War II and Korea. The grove is shaded by Pin oaks (Quercus palustris), Red oaks (Quercus rubra), and Norway maples (Acer platanoides). Memorial Grove was first planted in 1949 to honor Bronx Men who served in World War II. It was later dedicated to those who served in Korea as well. In 1949, a plaque measuring 7 by 10 inches was placed at the base of each of the 39 trees. The plaques were later replaced with plaques on 12 by 14 inch granite bases. Of those only 18 are left.

Of the remaining plaques, those honored are Lieutenant Jerome Sheppard, Corporal Vincent Marzano, Lieutenant Peter G. Lehman, Sergeant John Basilone, Private Emil T. Pensas, Private First Class Rodman Wanamaker, Private Warren W. Bergoffen, Private First Class Harold L. Aborn, Private Melvin Singer, Private First Class Warren W. Jacobs, Sergeant Donald S. Candlyn, Lieutenant Frank A. Carpucci, Corporal Peter D.J. Beekman, Private Stanley Katz, Lieutenant William H. Forman, Sergeant Edward L. Bressler, and Private Dominick Masiello. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (1882-1945) also has a plaque at the base of a Pin oak tree.

The men in the Memorial Grove died in Europe, Africa, and the Pacific theater of World War II. Many received important awards for their valor and bravery. Sergeant John Basilone, a Marine, earned the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross. The Medal of Honor dates back to the Revolutionary War, and is the highest honor one can receive in the armed forces. Congress created the Navy Cross on February 4, 1919, and it is the second-highest Naval award a soldier can receive.

Lieutenant Peter G. Lehman and PFC Warren W. Jacobs both earned the Air Medal and the Distinguished Flying Cross in their service in the Army Air Force. The Distinguished Flying Cross is the second-highest award one can receive in the Air Force before the Medal of Honor. Congress established the award with the Air Corps Act on July 2, 1926, and it is given to a person who accomplishes an exceptional act of heroism in an aerial flight. The Air Medal, a lesser but still important award, was created by Executive Decree of President Roosevelt on May 11, 1942. The medal is awarded to a person who exhibits meritorious achievement in an aerial flight. Oak leaf cluster pins on a uniform represent subsequent Air Medals.

Memorial Grove is located in Van Cortlandt Park, near West 246 Street between Broadway and the Van Cortlandt Mansion. In celebration of the Bicentennial of the Constitution, Parks planted 13 American linden trees (Tilia americana) between the Van Cortlandt Mansion and the Memorial Grove in 1987."

21 guys died for their country, and no one can afford to replace their plaques. I wish I knew how to engrave metal. I do know how to cut and polish it, perhaps one could stamp letters onto it with dies, and it wouldn't look too cheesy.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,275,219 times
There was an article in THE RIVERDALE PRESS about the plaques, if your interested in trying to restore them, why not get ahold of the newspaper and maybe they can run a item in the paper and put your contact info. I know there are lots of people that like to get involved in a good project. If I were living in the area I would lend a helping hand.

Good Luck.........a former Riverdalian.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM

I saw that. It's in the August 2 issue. There's a follow up letter in the August 16 issue, from a gentleman named Herb Barret, who wants to hold a ceremony come next Veterans Day there. They're restoring what plaques remain - apparently the Parks Department has three more in storage, and there's another one mounted, away from the grove for some reason.

That leaves seventeen.

I sent an e-mail to The Riverdale Press to the effect that casting bronze isn't rocket science, we're talking about something like $200 worth of bronze and some lost wax molds; and that I'd be delighted to contribute my talent and labor, such as it is, to get it done...why wait for the Parks Department? I mean, no slam on them, they maintain a lot of facilities so that the poor kids'll have someplace to swim and play softball. But, it's liable to take them a while to do this, again, why wait?

BTW, I don't live there, either. Never have. Someday, I hope to live in Kingsbridge...I love the Bronx, always have. I lot of what I know about Nature I gleaned from poring over Peterson Field Guides, in Van Cortlandt Park. It has the only real swamp remaining in NYC. I saw a Wood Duck there, once upon a time. That's only one of more than a dozen additions I've made to my life list (don't ask; it's a birder thing) roaming the fields and forests there.

When I was last there, I got me an egg sandwich, and I'm eating it under a tree in the grove there...and I see whose tree I'm sitting under.

It was Melvin Singer's tree. He died in Europe, just a few months before V-E day. I got to thinking about how tough it must have been on his family, losing him like that. So, I made the rounds and picked up a bunch of garbage that was blowing around, that's a little something.

But, I'd like to do more. I know how to melt bronze. It isn't exactly my line, but I could probably figure out how to make a lost wax casting.

Why not?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
There was an article in THE RIVERDALE PRESS about the plaques, if your interested in trying to restore them, why not get ahold of the newspaper and maybe they can run a item in the paper and put your contact info. I know there are lots of people that like to get involved in a good project. If I were living in the area I would lend a helping hand.

Good Luck.........a former Riverdalian.
I did. They responded very promptly, and they're going to print what I wrote them.

As for living "in the area"...

When it comes to something like this, the United States of America is "our area."

Y'all don't happen to have some scrap bronze laying around, do you?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 PM

318 posts, read 1,023,769 times
If you are not able to do the casting yourself, I would try contacting a cemetary (maybe Woodlawn Cemetary) to see if they could recommend someone who does that kind of work. Perhaps someone would be interested in donating their services (especially if a little free publicity were involved).

Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 PM

506 posts, read 2,106,685 times
Default why not contact the local, Girls, Boys Scouts...

See if you can,t get them to help you do the fund raising, and possibly some
of the prepping of the areas etc...The more hands on board the better....I would also be able to donate some time........

Last edited by westchester; 08-27-2007 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 06:50 AM

Default They printed it today

The Riverdale Press: Let's restore memorial now

So, I will see what happens.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,792 times
I have lived in the Bronx all my life and have seen this grove, and its a shame to see the state it is in....can we get our politicians involved in the restoration? Anyone have any clout to make this happen? I'm sure you will get plenty of volunteers to donate their time and talents to make this possible....and perhaps add other Bronx vets to this memorial.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,774 times
Default Is this the same park that was featured...

on WCBSTV at 5:30 last night with Chirs Wragge reporting?

If so, I'd like to contact the two gentlemen who are trying to maintain the park and have them do a video for the Perspectives section of a new social networking site for seniors - Social Maturity | Home | Totally free senior social and business networking, free classified ads, senior friend finder, online videos, forum and dating - SocialMaturity.com. Perhaps we can also set up some sort of bank managed fund to collect some money to restore the park.

Please contact me directly if you know these two guys.

Larry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City