Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM

525 posts, read 899,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The answer to your question is no I don't. But according to the world you live in, you should be treated based on how you look, and nothing else matters. If you have 1 eye and don't cover it up with glasses, you deserve to be mocked and ridiculed. Are you fat? If you don't lose weight and conform expect to be bullied! Are you ugly? Good luck getting a job! Can't afford nice clothes? Oh well, guess you will be treated badly..and you deserve it!

And therein lies the problem in our society. If you are black, no matter how you dress, you are treated the way you "are supposed to be treated", and if you are white, you are treated "the way you are supposed to be treated." Thanks for clarifying that heetseeker.
No in my world I judge a man by his character not by the color or looks of his face or body. However in my experience the people who look up to drug pushers rappers and pro sports players and wear baggy pants have very little character. Stop being the victim and start being the victor. Don't take offense the truth hurts. I understand you think I am attacking you no I'm not I'm attacking the lack of knowledge [Ignorance].

Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM

39 posts, read 77,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
No in my world I judge a man by his character not by the color or looks of his face or body. However in my experience the people who look up to drug pushers rappers and pro sports players and wear baggy pants have very little character. Stop being the victim and start being the victor. Don't take offense the truth hurts. I understand you think I am attacking you no I'm not I'm attacking the lack of knowledge [Ignorance].
baggy pants....lol. Are you sure you even live in new york?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Judge people based on their actions, not on their excuses. That way, you won't get confused into being an apologist for gang members.

Last edited by bg7; 10-20-2011 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I won't question your observations or background--but why not move to a nicer area of the Bronx or somewhere that you don't have to deal with all this? I'm assuming you are in the thick of it all after reading your post.

One thing though regarding a person rapping with his iPod on the subway--you've assumed that "the rich white people" are fearful of this. Actually, its not so much fear as annoyance--and plenty of people from other races get annoyed by this to. Just like its annoying to listen to a subway preacher, or someone blaring a stereo on the train, or someone asking for money and insulting people who wont give.
Exactly just speaks to the general lack of civility and selfishness endemic in urban black culture. Why should you disrupt the relative serenity of the train and rap out loud?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I acknowledge the problems in the urban black culture, but why don't we discuss WHY!!!!!!! Everyone likes to point fingers and play the blame game, but when we talk about HOW this happened, and WHAT caused it, and WHY they act this way in the first place, it always goes back to "because they are bad/dumb/that's how they are."

You will never solve the problem until you acknowledge what it is. And it isn't a group of people who decide being poor was fun, or having no job was cool, or smoking crack was a part of their culture, or celebrate violence against eachother.

Blacks did not:

choose to be slaves
choose to be 3/5ths of a person
choose to be uneducated
choose to be criminalized
choose to be segregated
choose to not have a job
choose to not be able to get a loan to buy a home
choose to have it illegal to go to school with other people
choose to make interacial marriage illegal
choose separate water fountains
choose to sit on the back of the bus
choose to not vote
and on and on....

All of those things were thrust on them, and that dysfunctional culture was passed on generation to generation, destroying families, no wealth generation, no education, nobody to depend on, and ultimately caused what you see today (and have been seeing for generations). But none of that is supposed to matter because "it's all in the past" right? Yesterday has nothing to do with today right?

These are not excuses, this is the reality that we live in. You can choose to play the blame game, and blame blacks for wearing baggy pants and that's why they are poor...but you would be ignoring 500 years of the obvious causes. And somehow, everything ends up being Blacks' fault, crime, their own poverty, lack of education, lack of resources...and of course, whites are the true victims. Laughable.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:26 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,351 times
omg when will the world stop with this retarded white vs blacks bull****, the day people all over the globe will stop judging their neighbor by his skin color, mankind will do a huge step forward

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM

810 posts, read 836,865 times
If you are going back in time to blame things for current problems then blame the African tribal cultures that contributed nothing to humanity except capturing fellow Africans and selling them to Arabs and whites.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,690 times
Quote:
They do much more than that...they do everything with little to no training. They are the Macguyvers of the real world: Give them a hammer, chewing gum, and a towel, and they will make dinner for 8, patch the roof, and write 3 hit songs..all in the same day!
They have training. Many were skilled back home. They just can't be hired legitimately here.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,690 times
Quote:
I acknowledge the problems in the urban black culture, but why don't we discuss WHY!!!!!!! Everyone likes to point fingers and play the blame game, but when we talk about HOW this happened, and WHAT caused it, and WHY they act this way in the first place, it always goes back to "because they are bad/dumb/that's how they are."

You will never solve the problem until you acknowledge what it is. And it isn't a group of people who decide being poor was fun, or having no job was cool, or smoking crack was a part of their culture, or celebrate violence against eachother.

Blacks did not:

choose to be slaves
choose to be uneducated
choose to be segregated
choose to not have a job
choose to not vote
and on and on....

All of those things were thrust on them, and that dysfunctional culture was passed on generation to generation, destroying families, no wealth generation, no education, nobody to depend on, and ultimately caused what you see today (and have been seeing for generations). But none of that is supposed to matter because "it's all in the past" right? Yesterday has nothing to do with today right?

These are not excuses, this is the reality that we live in. You can choose to play the blame game, and blame blacks for wearing baggy pants and that's why they are poor...but you would be ignoring 500 years of the obvious causes. And somehow, everything ends up being Blacks' fault, crime, their own poverty, lack of education, lack of resources...and of course, whites are the true victims. Laughable.
It is our fault when we choose to perpetuate the negative and reject the positive. Not saying that these things are easy to overcome but you must start somewhere to break the chain. I am black, work in the 'hood, understand the issues.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 AM

525 posts, read 899,531 times
Quote:

Blacks did not:

choose to be slaves
choose to be uneducated
choose to be segregated
choose to not have a job
choose to not vote
and on and on....

yeaaaa right- give me a break man. The Mexicans don't seem to be having a problem overcoming these same issues and they can't even speak english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City