Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
What's really great is that any time I post a pic or a gif on this forum, it gets deleted because of some BS privacy issue the site is worried about for some reason. But when a mod posts one, it's all gravy.

Awesome

Edit: It won't even let me quote his gif? WTF?!

I'm gonna go ahead and post the same exact gif that "the people's mod" posted and see how that goes...

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
Can someone tell me something about Castle Hill in the Bronx? I work on Saturdays at my family grocery store there and never have I gotten a feel for the neighborhood. It feels unsafe and desolate. The Crips do have a presence there,I've seen the tags. Mainly a PR neighborhood. I spoke to a old lady who was a customer and she said her house burned down because the neighbors were cooking crack,I really didn't pay too much mind too it she looked a little crazy.
Yeah castle hill on the other hand is sketchy (especially around pj's) although some blocks are actually quiet and borderline suburban...

Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You live in a hood and you don't know that there's mexican gangs in NYC... do a little research... About 70% of the mexican dudes that go to school or live in the hood are in a gang... As a teacher I can't tell you how many countless number of Mexican gangs we've encountered in our junior high school in Ridgewood nonetheless...
Mexicans are a newer phenomenom. I'm 30. When I was growing up there were like no Mexicans in the inner city. Especially not in Harlem, the Bronx, etc. I remember I had like 2 friends growing up who were Mexican. So I'm not as familiar with what is going on with them but thank you for educating me...What are the names of these gangs?

BTW how do you know where I currently live or that it's the hood?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Mexicans are a newer phenomenom. I'm 30. When I was growing up there were like no Mexicans in the inner city. Especially not in Harlem, the Bronx, etc. I remember I had like 2 friends growing up who were Mexican. So I'm not as familiar with what is going on with them but thank you for educating me...What are the names of these gangs?

BTW how do you know where I currently live or that it's the hood?
Yeah there are many mexican gangs. The only reason they don't make so much noise is because they tend to fight between each other. I know this because I live in a very mexican neighborhood and have gotten stopped by my own "people" and asked if I was a gang member. To which I have had to deny my own nationality and say I'm colombian and they usually leave me alone.

As for the names, they range from neighborhood to neighborhood. If anon works in Ridgewood, the mexican gangs he's probably heard of is LDC. In my neighborhood there's about 4 of them that make noise, NM, BSB, S42 and SDN. In some hoods in the bronx around 170th you'll see a lot of CLS, and East Harlem has a bunch of VGS. Upper West Side has 8Lkz.

Basically I can go in for days. Point is these guys are pretty active. If any gang thinks they don't exist, they should go to one of the parties they usually have every weekend in queens or the bronx and they will most likely get a fight if they're looking for one.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM

84 posts, read 249,851 times
Mexicans get discriminated against in the NYC public schools like crazy. And it is true they form small gangs that fight each other they fly under the radar. I think there is one called K5 in Grand Concourse and 198th street in The Bronx. And there was one at my school Chicano, the C was kind a like a crip C but with a slight variation. They used to write ChiX13 in the hallways. Some join Latin Kings.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
@ Andez LDC (Locos de la Calle) has been non-existant this year... But there's a couple more by me as well... Some of these gangs operate both in Ridgewood and Bushwick like Northside and Crazy Bois... There presence is felt way more in Bushwick though especially towards Knickerbocker... They used to be heavy on Wyckoff but cop presence has slowed them down over there...

@ DA Fernandez I guess where you lived there were no Mexicans but personally if you ask me, the Mexicans that were here made way more noise late 90s early 2000s than they do now... They are creeping up in the numbers and I've seen a large increase in gang activity last couple of years but still not to the levels I saw it about 10 years ago... Out of all of them probably the only one making legitimate noise on the major gang level is MS-13... Unfortunately, this gang has spread to NYC and has big numbers in the Jamaica/Woodhaven/Corona/Jackson Heights area... They had moved to Bushwick/Ridgewood in 08' a number of them but the Kings shut them down... They are easily the biggest gang in my neighborhood... They have about 3 or 4 different chapters in the neighborhood along different blocks... Trinitarios operate on two different locations... One on Woodward and Palmetto on top of that Rental hall and the other one is on my block but a little further on Himrod between Seneca and Cypress... But from what i can see this gang has been really dying out last couple of years thankfully... Having only one major gang in the neighborhood has really calmed things down this year...

One thing that always confused me though was how people say that the Kings don't make any noise or they're dead in NYC... If you knew how many people in this city follow the ALKN you'd realize that probably after Bloods, Kings are by far the largest gang in NYC... And it isn't a social club for them like it has become with the Bloods where everyone joins because it's cool... It's disgusting to see so many wannabe thugs in my neighborhood rock red like it's a fad... But back to my point, what alot of people don't realize is that similar to the mafia, Kings organization operates in silence and unlike most of those other major gangs, there motive for why they do what they do is for the betterment of their people... (not a fan of their actions but I've read up on them and I had family members that were a part of this gang when it first began to take off in the 80s... Alot of them have also left the old lifestyle behind but still handle the business aspects of their respective chapters...

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 PM

39 posts, read 77,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I have a gang question, particularly about the Crips and Bloods. Do they cross racial lines in membership, such as allowing whites to join?
Completely. Its a whole new ball game in terms of gang's nature. The gangs here are run alot more looser with less direct leadership, its no longer as simple as what color your wearing. Bloods will be cool with crips, and vice-versa. It really comes down to who has beef with who. This is because NYC is tiny and so intergrated and concentratred with people. A ton of the gang population are in highschool, and a bunch of these kids from different gangs put together in a room are going to inevitably becomes friends at some point, their only human.

Bloods are the most disorganized, because there's simply so many of them. Two dudes would get into it, want to fight, then later find out their both blood...and it won't even matter, they'll still have beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I LIKED the post...it seemed real!

And all the King's realtors and all the King's landlords cannot put the area back together again.

Some areas of NYC really SUCK and that is a fact that some do not want to hear.

Yes there are gangs...even if realtors say they don't exist. Yes there are Hellholes.

And the OP told his story as he sees it.
Thanks man.

Quote:
I can tell you about the slang. **** outta here is definitely used a lot. When something is cool it is referred to as being wavy. Bum ass ***** is used a lot. For extra emphasis the word type is put in front of a word. For example this forum is type addictive. As for fashion the green and grey brim hats are making a comeback. I've seen so many green brim NBA snap back Charlotte Hornets hats the past few weeks.
Bronx-Where I'm from, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Edenwald, Soundview, Fordham Bedford, are all horrible neighborhoods. I can tell you about the Fordham area because I go to school there. The area is run by the YB's (Young Bosses) and Young Gunners (YG), KB (Kingsbridge) I know right corny, and Trinitarios . I'll tell you that Bloods and Crips aren't hot in the Bronx maybe the Sex, Money, Murder Bloods are still hot in the SB. As for the Trinitarios they are not at their peak they've been declining since the Alex Ochoa trial in 04. Hell they are even accepting Puerto Ricans now. They aren't new either they've been around since the 90s. DDP is DONE. Latin Kings are low key but still around last year they did some pretty cold things. They are a lot of PR LK's near where I live. Right now everybody gangster is doing pot. Kids bring alcohol to school in Arizona Iced Tea bottles. I think the Bronx is hotter than Brooklyn but maybe thats because I don't live in BK. East New York and Brownsville will always be hell holes but there are more nice gentrified safe nabes in Brooklyn than the Bronx. In the Bronx all you have is Country Club, Riverdale, Woodlawn, Pelham, City Island, Throggs Neck. Everything else is sketchy.
Haha, definately can attest for alot of things in this post. Yeah, snapback caps in general are making a big comeback over here. Before that, trucker hats were trending real hard, dominicans made it popular. There was a period around 08, where being dominican became popular in itself. You saw more and more kids obsessing over the way dominicans dressed, their music, etc etc...You would see more and more kids with box-frame glasses, bended fitted caps, and studded belts. I would even see some puerto rican girls completely act as if they were dominican. So, perhaps patria isn't at its peak, but I definitely wouldnt say its on a rapid decline.

LK's are definitely more sprinkled about fordham/webster/kingsbridge, they tend to have a ton of pride so again, I can't see them dying out like DDP. As long as PR's are around, you will see some latin kings. Also yeah, theres an obsession of "nutcrackers" which are mixed fruit alcohol drinks that look alot like pepto bismol but come in different colors. If you're riding on the train late enough at night, theres even a chance of random dudes selling them on the train.

Hah, what school in fordham? I went to walton at kingsbridge and been around fordham plenty of my life. Also you reminded me of something I completely forgot, the YGs. God, when I originally heard about that, thats when I officially was like "godamn, I'm too old for this shyt"

But yes, you're right. "young gunnaz" is a HUGE trend right now in the bronx, they've even managed to get some recognition from the other boroughs. Funnily enough, I nearly got into it with some asian kid, who was going around claiming how he was YG. Just hearing someone brag about that, being from Lehman of all schools, and having a female friend of mine warn me, "zomg hes serious tho, hes YG", just made me want to beat the kid up in itself. Rappers like cory gunz from the bronx didn't really help with that by dropping the term "YGs" in a song.

But yes, their the most popular gang trending right now in the bronx, and brooklyn dudes scoff at it. I remember in that downtown manhattan school, where all the kids from different hoods would argue over hoods everyday, their would be plenty of arguing about YG. Where it was mainly all the brooklyn dudes saying if anyone went to east NY talking about "OY YG" they would get smacked.

I feel like I can never say the bloods aren't popular, because this is freakin' blood city. They are everywhere and its not even funny. Speaking of which, I'd suggest the females on this forum be weary of the neighborhoods they are in this halloween. Every year, there is commotion about the bloods going around slicing girl's faces...and every year without fail, there's cases of it happening. Nothing pisses me off more than to have to worry about the females I'm close to getting randomly sliced just because its halloween.

Also, I wouldn't go as far as to say that about the bronx. There are still other decent neighborhoods like parkchester, morris park, and little italy.

Quote:
Can someone tell me something about Castle Hill in the Bronx? I work on Saturdays at my family grocery store there and never have I gotten a feel for the neighborhood. It feels unsafe and desolate. The Crips do have a presence there,I've seen the tags. Mainly a PR neighborhood. I spoke to a old lady who was a customer and she said her house burned down because the neighbors were cooking crack,I really didn't pay too much mind too it she looked a little crazy.
Yeah, you're 100% right. Crips are in castle hill, but castle hill isn't a complete wasteland. What part of castle hill are you in? The 6 train stop isn't so bad, the bronx can be pretty block-to-block in terms of danger, and castle hill is an example of that. Around the 6 train stop there's some decent spots around that, that are populated by brown (indian) people, and some blocks with just decent strips of houses.

Howeverrrr, deep into castle hill is where it gets real bad, when you pass the cross bronx expressway, you'll hit the projects. I know because I boxed at bronxchester boxing club and it was behind an abandoned deli, right in the heart of the projects.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Man this is so ignorant.........Why would you even post something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
Because I have old friends of mine message me with "yeoo yu kno dat nikka mills? ma son jeff jus waaashed that nikka odee, his mans was talkin reckless so my son bodied himmm. deadass on some g shyt. nikka had da ratchet on him nd errythin but nikkas hadda dip it on da concourse from da boys. *** outta here"

...and I'll completely understand what their saying.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I won't question your observations or background--but why not move to a nicer area of the Bronx or somewhere that you don't have to deal with all this? I'm assuming you are in the thick of it all after reading your post.

One thing though regarding a person rapping with his iPod on the subway--you've assumed that "the rich white people" are fearful of this. Actually, its not so much fear as annoyance--and plenty of people from other races get annoyed by this to. Just like its annoying to listen to a subway preacher, or someone blaring a stereo on the train, or someone asking for money and insulting people who wont give.
You're definitely getting reputation for this.

Because I'm so annoyed at those kids dancing to "Party Rock Anthem" flipping and dancing as if the car is a stage. I'm extremely annoyed at the guys asking for money and I quote. . . . . "Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, I'm not here asking for money for my basketball team. but I'm trying to do the right thing by staying off the streets etc. . ." IN OTHER WORDS, If you can spare some of your money you work hard for it'll be greatly appreciated. Other musical acts includes a cappella singers and mexican guitar players (on the 7).

Oh and lastly who've seen the guys with the black bags and announces if anyone is hungry they have food? They(He. It's only one at a time) proceed to ask for a donation, but when no one gives them anything they rant about us being mean/cold hearted/ungodly (ROTF! Who cares!?). It's all hilarious and annoying I swear NYC Subways is better than reality TV.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:04 AM

39 posts, read 77,041 times
Quote:
Mexicans get discriminated against in the NYC public schools like crazy. And it is true they form small gangs that fight each other they fly under the radar. I think there is one called K5 in Grand Concourse and 198th street in The Bronx. And there was one at my school Chicano, the C was kind a like a crip C but with a slight variation. They used to write ChiX13 in the hallways. Some join Latin Kings.
Yeah mexican gangs tend to be small tight-knit crews spread out, pretty low key but their around. I remember for a while the "locos" were all over fordham road in the bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Unless you goot the youtube video, I don't believe you. Either that, or you must have your beaches confused. I have never witnessed such a thing at Rockaway beach. Usually those beaches rarely have a crowd, very sparsely utilized; and the percentage of blacks from the penninsula that 'actually' go to the beach is rather small.

Even though the Hispanics are smaller in number, a larger percentage go to the beach than blacks. Yet, to say there were SIXTY "patias" or whatever, on the beach, flying colors, is just not believeable. Coney or Brighton beaches w/b more believeable, but unless its a holiday there is rarely 60 people in one spot on the beaches of the Rockaways.

If so, then it must have been near the handball/basketball courts, where the bus stops.

Over the last few years, a number of drownings, surfer transplants, fishing, rabbits, but 60 hoodds flying colors, never seen that.

Seventfloor, you're the resident Rockaway expert, whaddya say?
I can tell you, that I swear to everything I love that my story is completely true. If you ever go up to rockaway beach, I have a buddy that is a LIFEGUARD down there named Bacari; buff stocky black dude. You can ask him. He can attest to this story because he was lifeguarding when it happened. The next day at school all of the east NY and brooklyn dudes were talking about it. And they weren't all wearing flashing around green flags like some cheesy 90s gangsta flick, plenty of them were just wearing lime green beads or some lime green clothing.

The fact that you said "60 patias or 'whatever'" pretty much shows me why you wouldn't believe the story in the first place. The beach was complete chaos, police were EVERYWHERE, the entire left side of the beach was filled with teens and the right side was where the families were. This isn't something that happens everyday sure, but it was obvious all these dudes planned to completely crash the beach that day and I just happen to be unlucky enough to pick that day too.

Believe it or not bub. I don't see why its so hard to believe, rockaway beach isn't exactly a sophisticated fancy beach anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Man this is so ignorant.........Why would you even post something like this?
Uhh, its a joke and because its completely relevant? I'm here to be subjective, I'm simply telling what I hear and see everyday. These guys talk like this...every single day. Chill out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City