Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 AM

39 posts, read 77,059 times

Advertisements

I noticed there's a ton of misconception around here about the hood areas in NYC, there's only so much accuracy in everyone warning eachother about what neighborhoods to avoid...if they've avoided it the whole time they've lived here. But see me, I wasn't given that same choice so here I am to answer all your questions about the hood today ! Not just about locations, but slang, gang activity, and any other entertaining miscellaneous information you wish to know.

Here's a couple important key points about the hood RIGHT NOW:

- Is the Bronx all that dangerous? I was hoping that since this being an NYC forum and all, the widespread overrating of the danger-level of the bronx wouldnt be done. But thats clearly not the case from the threads floating around here. The Bronx today has a legit handful of perfectly fine neighborhoods to live in.

- Biggest gangs? Bloods by far unfortunately, Patria, and Crips. The bloods have become a big popularity club where everyone and anyone can join, they have the biggest fear factor in NYC and it attracts all the kids who want the quickest route to that subconscious "power." Patria originally known as trinitarios is a dominican gang thats blown up over the past couple years and is at its peak right now. Crips are the most low-key but usually respected, there's a joke that goes around my friends and I and its that you NEVER see a group of crips...always just one random crip dude in the middle of everyone. Latin kings are still sprinkled about but they've been quieter over the last few years, however I don't see them dying out like DDP.

- Brooklyn, by far is the HOTTEST borough in New York City right now, its not even close. Its absolutely insane over there, the cops/undercover cops are crawling EVERYWHERE, (as if they aren't in nyc already) pulling people off trains, stopping everyone nonstop, searching everyone nonstop. I've lived in east NY the past few months...and it literally got to a point where every single day I saw the cops stopping and patting someone down on the street.

- Whats the difference between the hood in the BX and BK? There's a key difference in the hood in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and thats land area. It affects the kind of violence that goes down entirely. Since brooklyn is way more spread out with more houses...and people, you're MUCH more likely to get randomly jumped. Its literally the first thing I noticed when I started getting more familiar with the hoods in brooklyn, how easy it would be to get jumped quickly and them to get away just because of the geography.

- The Bronx is smaller than brooklyn with less people, everything is close together. You'll hear less about random little anonymous violent crimes, and alot more about messed up deliberate murders. Alot of the violence in the bronx is personal feuds, thats why you will hear much more ****ed up murder stories in the bronx. People being found chopped up in garbage bags on roofs and the like. This is probably what helps fuel the bronx's big and bad reputation. The most ****ed up sounding crimes will often come straight from the bronx. When you're in the bronx, you ALWAYS feel like the next public strip of stores or populated neighborhood is just a couple foot steps away. This makes it much harder for random small crimes to be pulled off with minimal attention.

- Drugs? Ecstasy is absolute garbage in the north east right now, new york included. Nearly every pill going around right now is bunk and I suggest you avoid it. This isn't completely relevant but I felt it was important to know for those planning to experience the NYC nightlife.

- The most dangerous neighborhood? Hmm, I'm still not 100% decided but right now Brownsville is the leading candidate. Its ironic because its Crip city over there yet the crips in NYC are known for being more laid-back and in general more chill than other gang members. Let me put it like this, I stayed in brownsville at a projects for just ONE WEEK. There is a police station 1 block away literally around the corner..and in that week, 2 people were shot and killed infront of my building over 2 days. One dude got shot and killed, and the dead dude's boys came through and shot someone dead the next day, I saw the sheets over one of the victims. I wanted to know what the deal was and it turned out the building I was staying at got taken over by some bloods...the only blood building vs every other building. The next day driving around, you would pass through stoops...filled with 15-20 kids, completely stop dead quiet and stare you down with a look of complete paranoia and bravado. How could you blame them? Every car that passes by could be the next one to let shots pop off.

The most popular slang right now?
Well the most recent that I've noticed so far is "**** outta here." You will literally hear every single person from the hood use this phrase atleast once upon frustration. Black chicks in particular absolutely love this phrase and will repeat it 50 times over if necessary.

The most hilarious part of it all? Watching all the mid-town manhattan people get visibly unnerved by the random black guy on the train who starts aggresively rapping his ipod lyrics aloud. There is literally nothing funnier to me than watching nervous rich people's reactions upon seeing this.

Uhh, thats all I got so far. Any other questions are more than welcomed :] As well as any questions reguarding the authenticity of my post/backround.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
What makes you qualified, or the expert, versus me? How do you have more insight or the answers?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times
I won't question your observations or background--but why not move to a nicer area of the Bronx or somewhere that you don't have to deal with all this? I'm assuming you are in the thick of it all after reading your post.

One thing though regarding a person rapping with his iPod on the subway--you've assumed that "the rich white people" are fearful of this. Actually, its not so much fear as annoyance--and plenty of people from other races get annoyed by this to. Just like its annoying to listen to a subway preacher, or someone blaring a stereo on the train, or someone asking for money and insulting people who wont give.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What makes you qualified, or the expert, versus me? How do you have more insight or the answers?
And on his very first posting, no less.

(I was born in Brownsville, so I guess I'll have to defer to his expertise, as well).

Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Because I have old friends of mine message me with "yeoo yu kno dat nikka mills? ma son jeff jus waaashed that nikka odee, his mans was talkin reckless so my son bodied himmm. deadass on some g shyt. nikka had da ratchet on him nd errythin but nikkas hadda dip it on da concourse from da boys. *** outta here"

...and I'll completely understand what their saying.

Lol, jokes aside, I've lived in a couple hoods from the BX to BK and bordering queens my whole life. But more importantly, all my peers are the young dudes that you probably see on worldstarhiphop everyday, and I'm inevitably around them all the time. Random hood gossip always finds its way to my ear, and if it doesnt there...facebook would surely remind me. I've been jumped, I been to the bad urban high school, and yes, I've *****in BOOKED IT from hearing gunshots in my viscinity at one point. I don't really see how much more first-person perspective you can get.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Many people like to read on their commute, the sound of loud music is disruptive in a way other noise, eg the white noise of the train clunking along the tracks, isn't. That is why many railroad lines have "quiet cars". That'd never work on the subway of course.
Don't confuse "disapproval" with "fear".

Last edited by bg7; 10-18-2011 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
You haven't said anything that makes you more qualified than alot of posters on here, including myself. You have lived in a crappy nieghborhood, have crappy friends, have heard gunshots, been exposed to bad schools....that about sums up the experience of many NYers for 100+ years.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post

One thing though regarding a person rapping with his iPod on the subway--you've assumed that "the rich white people" are fearful of this. Actually, its not so much fear as annoyance--and plenty of people from other races get annoyed by this to. Just like its annoying to listen to a subway preacher, or someone blaring a stereo on the train, or someone asking for money and insulting people who wont give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Many people like to read on their commute, the sound of loud music is disruptive in a way other nosie, eg the white noise of the train clunking along the tracks, isn't. That is why many railroad lines have "quiet cars". That'd never work on the subway of course.
Don't confuse "disapproval" with "fear". You know, like you confused "rich" with "white".
...wow. Two posters who just completely put false words into my mouth. Really, I shouldnt even give you two credibility by replying to you but thats hilarious. There is literally no where in my post where I said "white people"

Absolutely no where. I know thats not exactly what you claimed BG, but what you said was just as unfounded. But hey you wanted it, here it goes. I'll "ASSUME" by these posts that you two are caucasion. And by that, I don't know what it is about white dudes on the internet and reaching for reverse racism every chance they get, but it really...really gets old.

Not to mention you're completely barking up the wrong tree as I'm 100% Chinese and Puerto Rican. So for once guys, just leave it alone. Jesus.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
Brooklyn has way more nice neighborhoods than the Bronx.

Basically, Brooklyn hoods are more black than the Bronx. Since blacks commit most of the murders in the country, their hoods murder rate become some sort of killing fields (East NY, Brownsville, Bed Stuy, Crown Heights). Brooklyn hoods are also usually more populated. In other words, the precincts cover much more area. Bronx hoods on the other hand are about 50%-80% hispanic, 20%-50% black. The only exception is the north-east Bronx, which is about 90% black, and to no one's surprised, the murder capital of the Bronx.

The Bronx gives you a higher chance of getting robbed and assaulted, while in Brooklyn you are more likely to be murdered....just in terms of the hoods.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
You haven't said anything that makes you more qualified than alot of posters on here, including myself. You have lived in a crappy nieghborhood, have crappy friends, have heard gunshots, been exposed to bad schools....that about sums up the experience of many NYers for 100+ years.
Umm, which is why I said "But more importantly, my peers are the young dudes you probably see on worldstarhiphop every day"

As in I'm young, 18, and unfortunately currently still AROUND this everyday. So logically, I'd be the most up to date on what my OWN PEERS are running around doing, get it bro-skee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City