Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:39 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times

Advertisements

What's with all the Londoners suddenly moving into NYC? I know their money is 2 to 1 but once they get here, they are making a US salary. I'm not hating. I actually dated a british guy for 3 yrs but that was in the mid 90s. He was a rare species and that was only 10 yrs ago. Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 PM

22 posts, read 130,298 times
Great Britain is DOOMED to all the Muslims here so they want to move to America where it is safe and we have a future.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
All foreign currencies are extremely strong compared to the dollar right now, making the US a true bargain. And the Brits like coming to NY, as it's only a short, 6h flight away.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Terror View Post
Great Britain is DOOMED to all the Muslims here so they want to move to America where it is safe and we have a future.

Correction to previous statement - British citizens are moving to America where it is more culturally diverse and acceptable because of racists like you, your one of the many reasons i don't like the UK
btw- I am a British Citizen - white and christian :0 shocker and before noticing all the uneducated remarks i was once proud of my country. We dont have a future because we can't comprehend how to live in a mixed race, sexuality, religion etc. society and that WILL be our downfall

Old 10-20-2011, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
The reason why we all want to leave the UK will be for many reasons now adays. For example corrupt Politicians! Abusive citizens in the street! People spitting so much! foreigners spitting so much! People with their shoes on our train seats! Foreigners with feet on our trains seats! Celebrity magazines! British Gas! High rates of suicides! People not able to speak English. english unable to speak english! Foreigners in the healthservice ie nurses and doctors unable to speak fluent English!!!!

Infact the weather hasnt been that bad to me its other things that matter in this country and the lack of lifestyle which dwindles daily ......

Old 10-20-2011, 03:55 AM

11 posts, read 21,632 times
I am a Brit moving to NYC shortly but, admittedly, have been living in Singapore for the last 6 years. My family lives in CA so the idea of being 6 hours from them and 6 hours from London is rather appealing after being 12+ hours from both out here!

Otherwise though, I think Brits see NY as a welcome change from life elsewhere. This is no disrespect to the rest of the US, but if you have any inclination to spend some time in the States the obvious options are NY and LA (rightly or wrongly). It also has the attraction of being easily reachable from London. Overall though, I think it is less to do with being sick of London - or making more money in NY (you lose it on rent!) - as it is about the exciting adventure of coming to a an awesome city.

My thoughts at least....

Old 10-20-2011, 04:03 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM0 View Post
The reason why we all want to leave the UK will be for many reasons now adays. For example corrupt Politicians! Abusive citizens in the street! People spitting so much! foreigners spitting so much! People with their shoes on our train seats! Foreigners with feet on our trains seats! Celebrity magazines! British Gas! High rates of suicides! People not able to speak English. english unable to speak english! Foreigners in the healthservice ie nurses and doctors unable to speak fluent English!!!!

Infact the weather hasnt been that bad to me its other things that matter in this country and the lack of lifestyle which dwindles daily ......
You can find the bold in the USA too

Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I think it is less to do with being sick of London - or making more money in NY (you lose it on rent!)
Londoner,
Is the cost of housing really that different between London and NYC?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
I think that the US is very similar to the UK. NYC is equivalent to their London. No problem with language (other than the American accent grates on them since we have managed to have mangled English English). Brits also share the same work ethics as Americans and the education is equivalent to the best colleges in the US.

I know several people from the UK, and have one very good friend from the UK. And they all have one common complaint: what is happening to the UK. Topping the list is the huge immigrant population, the majority being Pakistani Muslims (but no where near the Mexican immigration problems in the US). These immigrants created communities wherein they imported their culture and village mentality to the UK to the point, from which I understand, that there are elements of Sharia law (non-criminal) that have become part of the UK law.

The UK is soft on the practice of Muslims having multiple wives and having multiple babies, knowing that many of these marriages are to manipulate the welfare system. The UK has one of the most generous welfare systems, next to Canada. There was a woman who is a member of Parliment (I believe) who not too long ago spoke of the welfare fraud through multiple marriages. She is a UK citizen of Indian descent and she was being called a racist and accused of discrimination for speaking about it. Interviewed were two Pakistani men who had multiple wives and children, who were basically "proud" that they were manipulating the system, while both where employed.

Recently I read where the UK government is going to make people in the medical field (all nationalities) be required to pass a level of English - comprehension, writing, speaking in order to practice. (I'm sure when that is enforced cries of discrimination will be heard.)

In America we always would relate "fish n chips" as being the national food of the UK, but now their national dish is "curry". Seems many Americans fear the disappearance of the "burger n fries" being replaced with "tacobobs".

The US and the UK have more in common that people realize with regard to immigration - legal and illegal. It's a big issue in both countries.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM0 View Post

I hate to break it to you, but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City