Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

Not really..I have lived in Mott Haven for decades, my family has been here since the 50s, in the same building, I went to school locally, and I know everyone (the good ones, the bad ones, and the scary ones)...and based on your 18 years of age, you haven't seen the depths of crime that older folks in these communities have in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s....like myself.

I am not saying this to one-up you, but just clarify that you are no expert, nor should be presenting yourself as such.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM

39 posts, read 77,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Not really..I have lived in Mott Haven for decades, my family has been here since the 50s, in the same building, I went to school locally, and I know everyone (the good ones, the bad ones, and the scary ones)...and based on your 18 years of age, you haven't seen the depths of crime that older folks in these communities have in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s....like myself.

I am not saying this to one-up you, but just clarify that you are no expert, nor should be presenting yourself as such.
Thats cool bro, and I hate to take your shine as your probably one of the few voices-of-poverty on this forum, but if you'd like to start a thread on the crime waves of the 50s, 70s, and 80s feel free to do so on your own accord.

I made it a clear point in my original post that the purpose of this topic was to inform users on the whereabouts of the hoods of New York TODAY and clear the misconceptions. So any off-topic criticisms on what "bad" stuff I have or havent been through due to me being young, can be done so via private message. Thanks,

Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I am in no way a voice of poverty, however I can provide alot more insight into poor communities of color in 2011 as easily as 1985..what has changed, what hasn't, and what is ocurring today.

You are welcome to comment about crime in NYC, but you are no expert today, yesterday, or tomorrow. Your posts will be entertaining and informative nonetheless I am sure.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM

301 posts, read 1,326,990 times
"crips in NYC are known for being more laid-back and in general more chill than other gang members."

Pheeeeew! I'll be sure to remember that if I ever stumble upon a group of them. Crips = the Perry Comos of gangland. No need to worry.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I am in no way a voice of poverty, however I can provide alot more insight into poor communities of color in 2011 as easily as 1985..what has changed, what hasn't, and what is ocurring today.

You are welcome to comment about crime in NYC, but you are no expert today, yesterday, or tomorrow. Your posts will be entertaining and informative nonetheless I am sure.
If I am clearly no "expert" as that title seems to mean alot to you, then I clearly will fumble and provide mis-information along the way. In that case, if I am mis-informed, feel free to call me out on any of my claims. I have an entire page as the original post, it intrigues me as to why you haven't done so already.

Do enlighten me, I'd love some new insightful information on my fellow poor communities in 2011. Unlike many of the elder generation, I'm humble enough to put aside my credentials/ego and lend an open ear.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM

810 posts, read 836,628 times
Crips are not laid back, just browsing through WSHH can tell you that. Video: Crip Gets Jumped Out, Told To Roll On The Dirt & Banned From Reppin His Set For Not Helping In A Fight! "Don't Say Nothing Or My Gun Go Off"

Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
What makes you qualified, or the expert, versus me? How do you have more insight or the answers?
Actually,I'd be more inclined to listen to someone like the OP who really has lived recently in many hoods in both Brooklyn and The Bronx than to some of the other posters on here who have lived in only one or in many cases never lived in either borough.All they do is repeat what they think they have heard 3rd hand or what they think they know from TV when they were growing up.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
"crips in NYC are known for being more laid-back and in general more chill than other gang members."

Pheeeeew! I'll be sure to remember that if I ever stumble upon a group of them. Crips = the Perry Comos of gangland. No need to worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Sound silly as it may, but this is common knowledge among everyone familiar with gangs I've talked too.

Last year I went to rockaway beach, and upon arrival there was mass chaos and police. People were running everywhere and a former patria buddy of mine explains to me that a bunch of patrias jumped these 2 latin king dudes on the beach, broke bottles over their head. So for the next 45 minutes theres random spurts of commotion and dozens of people running around. Turns out it was over my boy's boy, who was patria and got shot in the head point blank, killed from behind by suprise by this random latin king. So for those couple months alot of people were talking about it.

But I also then notice...that there are atleast 60 patrias on the beach, fully decked out in lime green flags and gear. There was even a chick with a t-shirt that just had a HUGE limegreen flag on it. *gag* So there goes my beach day I think, my little group kicks back on the other side and keeps an eye out on everything.

The dudes started making a godamn youtube video, talking **** to the camera of course, getting themselves real hype acting intimidating. So then, 20 minutes later me and buddy randomly notice in the corner of our eye...these 2 black dudes strolling along down onto the beach without a care in the world...with blue crip beads and a flag on their hat. We immediately have the same reaction, "these guys are out of their minds:"

The two dudes keep on going about their business completely cool, and are never approached by the other gang. It was quite a sight, seeing two random blue dudes next to a sea of lime green.

Not completely relevant to my original point, but uh, yeah right now crips are often seen alone, real lone wolf type. Its weird, I thought it was coincidence for a long while but it just kept happening entirely too often. From my personal experience, most crip guys I've known usually have more of their own little ethics and morals they go by. Its the bloods that are filled with the hotheads and youngins trying to prove themselves.

But you're right, when it comes to a group everything changes, when peer pressure comes into effect. So granted, but good luck finding random groups of crips strolling around outside of crip neighborhoods.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Are you willing to give your testimony in court as a hood expert?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
I noticed there's a ton of misconception around here about the hood areas in NYC, there's only so much accuracy in everyone warning eachother about what neighborhoods to avoid...if they've avoided it the whole time they've lived here. But see me, I wasn't given that same choice so here I am to answer all your questions about the hood today ! Not just about locations, but slang, gang activity, and any other entertaining miscellaneous information you wish to know.

Here's a couple important key points about the hood RIGHT NOW:

- Is the Bronx all that dangerous? I was hoping that since this being an NYC forum and all, the widespread overrating of the danger-level of the bronx wouldnt be done. But thats clearly not the case from the threads floating around here. The Bronx today has a legit handful of perfectly fine neighborhoods to live in.

- Biggest gangs? Bloods by far unfortunately, Patria, and Crips. The bloods have become a big popularity club where everyone and anyone can join, they have the biggest fear factor in NYC and it attracts all the kids who want the quickest route to that subconscious "power." Patria originally known as trinitarios is a dominican gang thats blown up over the past couple years and is at its peak right now. Crips are the most low-key but usually respected, there's a joke that goes around my friends and I and its that you NEVER see a group of crips...always just one random crip dude in the middle of everyone. Latin kings are still sprinkled about but they've been quieter over the last few years, however I don't see them dying out like DDP.

- Brooklyn, by far is the HOTTEST borough in New York City right now, its not even close. Its absolutely insane over there, the cops/undercover cops are crawling EVERYWHERE, (as if they aren't in nyc already) pulling people off trains, stopping everyone nonstop, searching everyone nonstop. I've lived in east NY the past few months...and it literally got to a point where every single day I saw the cops stopping and patting someone down on the street.

- Whats the difference between the hood in the BX and BK? There's a key difference in the hood in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and thats land area. It affects the kind of violence that goes down entirely. Since brooklyn is way more spread out with more houses...and people, you're MUCH more likely to get randomly jumped. Its literally the first thing I noticed when I started getting more familiar with the hoods in brooklyn, how easy it would be to get jumped quickly and them to get away just because of the geography.

- The Bronx is smaller than brooklyn with less people, everything is close together. You'll hear less about random little anonymous violent crimes, and alot more about messed up deliberate murders. Alot of the violence in the bronx is personal feuds, thats why you will hear much more ****ed up murder stories in the bronx. People being found chopped up in garbage bags on roofs and the like. This is probably what helps fuel the bronx's big and bad reputation. The most ****ed up sounding crimes will often come straight from the bronx. When you're in the bronx, you ALWAYS feel like the next public strip of stores or populated neighborhood is just a couple foot steps away. This makes it much harder for random small crimes to be pulled off with minimal attention.

- Drugs? Ecstasy is absolute garbage in the north east right now, new york included. Nearly every pill going around right now is bunk and I suggest you avoid it. This isn't completely relevant but I felt it was important to know for those planning to experience the NYC nightlife.

- The most dangerous neighborhood? Hmm, I'm still not 100% decided but right now Brownsville is the leading candidate. Its ironic because its Crip city over there yet the crips in NYC are known for being more laid-back and in general more chill than other gang members. Let me put it like this, I stayed in brownsville at a projects for just ONE WEEK. There is a police station 1 block away literally around the corner..and in that week, 2 people were shot and killed infront of my building over 2 days. One dude got shot and killed, and the dead dude's boys came through and shot someone dead the next day, I saw the sheets over one of the victims. I wanted to know what the deal was and it turned out the building I was staying at got taken over by some bloods...the only blood building vs every other building. The next day driving around, you would pass through stoops...filled with 15-20 kids, completely stop dead quiet and stare you down with a look of complete paranoia and bravado. How could you blame them? Every car that passes by could be the next one to let shots pop off.

The most popular slang right now?
Well the most recent that I've noticed so far is "**** outta here." You will literally hear every single person from the hood use this phrase atleast once upon frustration. Black chicks in particular absolutely love this phrase and will repeat it 50 times over if necessary.

The most hilarious part of it all? Watching all the mid-town manhattan people get visibly unnerved by the random black guy on the train who starts aggresively rapping his ipod lyrics aloud. There is literally nothing funnier to me than watching nervous rich people's reactions upon seeing this.

Uhh, thats all I got so far. Any other questions are more than welcomed :] As well as any questions reguarding the authenticity of my post/backround.
I have a gang question, particularly about the Crips and Bloods. Do they cross racial lines in membership, such as allowing whites to join?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City