Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 PM

39 posts, read 77,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
IMO there should be a separate division within nypd that is trained in community affairs and whose main focus would be QOL matters. You have all these big goofy dumb cops with no proper training in these areas metaphorically going after the fruit fly with hand grenades. It just doesnt make sense. Have a special unit to handle this type of stuff and handle it properly.

This actually seems like a great idea, the problem is the constant abuse of power over minor matters. No cop is ever going to get in trouble for arresting someone for a BS reason, it won't happen. This also seems like a great idea because IMO, there is a complete overpopulation of NYPD period. These guys are literally e v e r y w h e r e, on every corner. I constantly see officers patroling around, having absolutely nothing to do. Honestly, if marijuana for example was legalized, so many cops would have nothing to do all day it wouldnt even be funny.

Numbers is definitely not a problem, so a seperate unit assigned to handle minor matters or offenses could definitely be beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Yep, NYPD is out of control. Know why? Because of the 99% of people out there are like NeilVA and think everything the cops do is golden, even when it's blatantly ridiculous.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yep, NYPD is out of control. Know why? Because of the 99% of people out there are like NeilVA and think everything the cops do is golden, even when it's blatantly ridiculous.
Yes this is a real problem in NYC. And lets be honest ever since 9/11 to some people cops can do absolutely no wrong.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler
...people out there are like NeilVA and think everything the cops do is golden
It seems neither you nor NooYowkur81 were around when NY had a seperate division called the Transit Police. They didnt take the time to tell you that you did something wrong, they used the club they carried to strongly advise you that you were in the wrong. These cops were the ones who couldnt pass the tests to get into NYPD. What is happening now to you is an end result of a department that didnt have the power of NYPD and NYPD would not cross the line and deal with an issue on Transit Police jurisdiction. I guess you're not old enough to remember people sleeping across five seats, people sitting with their stuff next to them instead of on the floor, people blarring radios to the whole car could hear it,panhandlers standing in your face and hitting you up for change, pissing in the corner of a subway car, eating fast food and leaving more of it on the seats and floor than actually went into their mouths and then leaving thier trash on floor when they finished eating, smoking on the platforms, move out of the way as to get in/out of the train, use the pole as a backrest so no one can hold onto it,etc.... Hopefully they've started to arrest people for putting out noxious bad body odors. This is the past we dealt with and more. I am not for a Police State. But I'd rather have a "zero tolerence subway system" than the list I just gave you. There is a large difference between a cop who abuses his power compared to a cop who strictly follows the letter of the law. I'd say at this point the Mayor is trying to turn NYC into Toronto.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
So by your statement you understand the MTA rules of conduct and have multiple incidents already connected to your name.

And you violated Section 1050.7.10.

mta.info | Rules of Conduct

And thus under section 1050.10

And yet you don't understand why you were arrested?

The problem here lies in that for too many years the Transit Police were too lax in doing their jobs. The abuses of the rules created so many complaints. There wasn't a day back some 20 yrs that I'd see someone with their head against the glass, their bag sitting next to them and their legs laying across multiple seats and the TP did nothing about it. Thus in 95 they were absorbed into NYPD. So now the pendulum has swung the other way to be a "zero tolerance" rule.
Please give it a rest, NEIL WHO LIVES IN VIRGINIA. I called you out before as a limousine commuter -- you don't even ride the flipping subway. Because at one point during the 1960's you were forced to descend to that 4th Circle of Hell with the sinners whose crime is poverty does not make you an expert on what a young, urban, minority (there, I said it) guy goes through when stopped and questioned repeatedly for spurious reasons.

Hey, OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. It seems really unfair. Also, I don't buy the argument that a person should be stopped if he is wearing a certain type of clothing. Because, what are we becoming in this country.

My advice to you is -- carry a cell phone at all times. Travel with your finger on the button.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM

39 posts, read 77,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Please give it a rest, NEIL WHO LIVES IN VIRGINIA. I called you out before as a limousine commuter -- you don't even ride the flipping subway. Because at one point during the 1960's you were forced to descend to that 4th Circle of Hell with the sinners whose crime is poverty does not make you an expert on what a young, urban, minority (there, I said it) guy goes through when stopped and questioned repeatedly for spurious reasons.

Hey, OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. It seems really unfair. Also, I don't buy the argument that a person should be stopped if he is wearing a certain type of clothing. Because, what are we becoming in this country.

My advice to you is -- carry a cell phone at all times. Travel with your finger on the button.

Thanks man, I completely agree. Its ridiculous how I was bombarded with questions on how I was dressed on the first page. Then proceeded to be asked any little question so that in their minds, they could instantly justify what happened and go about their day without a wince. Its disgusting. At the end of the day, why the hell does it matter? Since when is it okay to just go around arresting citizens and throwing them in a cell with a COURT DATE AT THAT because of the way they are dressed? Especially in this fruity ass city with a billion different fashion senses.

Btw, wow, does he seriously really live in virginia? Whats with all these random trolls posting about what its like in NYC, on the NYC part of the forum, while not even living here. That makes zero sense.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seriously guys, it already got my other thread I created closed down. Simply because a couple of trolls who didn't even live in NYC decided to rile up other members by spouting blatantly racist comments, thus leading to the derailment of my thread and ultimately the locking of it.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 PM

14 posts, read 38,010 times
If the OP isn't withholding any info surrounding the circumstances of the arrest, then he needs to consult an attorney. Being falsely arrested is serious and I can't see putting your feet up even listed as an arrestable offense.

Cops abuse the public when they can get away with it.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yes. birdinmigration, You turned it into a personal attack nearly a year ago as you are now. And even then I stated I was an ex-NYr. But why diddn't you carry it over from that post that I rode the subways and actually lived in NY? Why do you need to lie to this poster and state I've never lived in NY? I made the choice to leave and you made the choice to stay.

I lived in Brooklyn in a blue collar neighborhood for nearly twenty years. I rode the city buses and trains until I could legally drive. Past that I rode the trains as little as possible.

Quote:
Btw, wow, does he seriously really live in virginia? Whats with all these random trolls posting about what its like in NYC, on the NYC part of the forum, while not even living here. That makes zero sense.
Yes. I've made it up the educational and income ladders to not only move out of NYC, LI and the tri-state area. But to move to Virginia. I currently still have to fly into JFK twice a month and I prefer not to do that anymore. My company supplies me with a limo to travel in and around for the day. I use the limo to go from the airport to Kings Plaza Diner for breakfast and into the city from there. On the way back (depending on time left in my day) I'll go to the Stage Deli for a late lunch or head to Randazzos in the Bay for a lobster bowl then back to the airport. Do I need to list locations you are too young to know of (L'amours, Alexanders, EJ Korvettes, Crazy Eddie just to mention a few)? Now how does that sound like a troll? As to this thread I posted past information so you would know how the past became today. Back in the day I dressed and looked like a thug and thus I had my bruises from cops with too much power. through time you will learn from these incidents and hopefully change for the better. Please grow up better than birdinmigration and not be a complainer like him. It will get you nowhere.

Maybe you too can become a "Limosine Commuter".

Last edited by Pruzhany; 10-21-2011 at 12:23 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Yes. birdinmigration, You turned it into a personal attack nearly a year ago as you are now. And even then I stated I was an ex-NYr. But why diddn't you carry it over from that post that I rode the subways and actually lived in NY? Why do you need to lie to this poster and state I've never lived in NY? I made the choice to leave and you made the choice to stay.

I lived in Brooklyn in a blue collar neighborhood for nearly twenty years. I rode the city buses and trains until I could legally drive. Past that I rode the trains as little as possible.

Yes. I've made it up the educational and income ladders to not only move out of NYC, LI and the tri-state area. But to move to Virginia. I currently still have to fly into JFK twice a month and I prefer not to do that anymore. My company supplies me with a limo to travel in and around for the day. I use the limo to go from the airport to Kings Plaza Diner for breakfast and into the city from there. On the way back (depending on time left in my day) I'll go to the Stage Deli for a late lunch or head to Randazzos in the Bay for a lobster bowl then back to the airport. Do I need to list locations you are too young to know of (L'amours, Alexanders, EJ Korvettes, Crazy Eddie just to mention a few)? Now how does that sound like a troll? As to this thread I posted past information so you would know how the past became today. Back in the day I dressed and looked like a thug and thus I had my bruises from cops with too much power. through time you will learn from these incidents and hopefully change for the better. Please grow up better than birdinmigration and not be a complainer like him. It will get you nowhere.

Maybe you too can become a "Limosine Commuter".
hahahahahaaa, got yer back up a little, didn't you, Neil Who Lives in Virginia.
Touchy, much?

We are happy to know the details of where you eat breakfast and lunch, because that has so much to do with the subject at hand, right? (::lobster bowl:: snicker snicker) And how does my pointing out that you swan into the city in the back of a limo, your well-shod feet never touching those icky subway platforms, constitute a 'personal attack'? Merely restating things you already said, and I invite anyone with more time than me to find those threads and repost them here.

I have my doubts that you "dressed and looked like a thug" and "had bruises" from cops, because I don't think that people change for the better by having that happen to them. They just become nasty and bitter...oh, wait....

I never stated that you never lived in New York. That is not accurate. It doesn't even matter, my point is, and you confirmed it, you haven't ridden the subway in decades.

And as I told you before, plenty of people -- including me -- don't want to be limousine commuters. I gave up a car commute in favor of the trains. Riding in a limo doesn't give you the right to pass judgment on your perceived character flaws of subway riders.

By the way, I am a "her", not a "him".

Old 10-21-2011, 06:39 AM

...I don't think that people change for the better by having that happen to them. They just become nasty and bitter...
A real New Yorker does not run away from a challange. A challange is something to overcome. There are numerous ex-New Yorkers who have become famous and infamous. I'm sorry you made some wrong decisions and turned you into a pessimist. We can make an entire thread on how New York was supposed to be a ripple effect as each ripple is a generation moving outward (ours started in Brownsville).
I never stated that you never lived in New York. That is not accurate. It doesn't even matter, my point is, and you confirmed it, you haven't ridden the subway in decades.
And as I told you before, plenty of people -- including me -- don't want to be limousine commuters. I gave up a car commute in favor of the trains.
ridership went down for numerous years. Why? Because people drove into the City and parked for the Early Bird special prices. Most New Yorkers if they could budget it, would rather drive in than ride in.
Riding in a limo doesn't give you the right to pass judgment on your perceived character flaws of subway riders.
I stated nothing on the OPs character. He did that by himself. I stated what the law is and how it got here to a zero tolerance level. The time for warnings has past. There is no difference between partially breaking the law and fully breaking it Knowing true New yorkers, if a large enough population disagreed with this level of Police action I'm 100% sure there would be some politician yelling for a change or a ratchet back on enforcement.

In your home, do you allow your kids to lay their legs on the tables (or use them as foot stools) in your living room? I doubt it. So why should there be an exclusion from this expectation on public transportation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City