Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 17,771 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm a 10th year Houstonian. Been flirting w/the idea of relocating to the East Coast for awhile (particulary NYC). I also like the DC area. While Houston is a very comfortable city to live in, I don't feel it has what I need professionally.

Houston is an industrial city that achieves its growth from oil & gas, engineering and medical industries. But I'm cut from the artistic cloth. I'm a writer who's heart is in the world of arts/culture/entertainment. Before I landed in the unmotivating corporate throes of oil & gas (still wondering how I got there), I did marketing/promotions and event management. I wouldn't mind going back into those field but I'm more interested in writing/communications related careers from an arts and/or publishing industry aspect.

I'd like some insight on NY and the degree of difficulty in obtaining these types of jobs. I know people are flocking there due to these industries but I'd like some insight from people who've lived there.

I've search the boards and I see no postings from people moving TO NY. It's always FROM...Hmmmm...Hint-hint, I guess.

Please educate me. I've visited on several ocassions but I know living there is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM

43 posts, read 216,077 times
Default Giving up comfort . . . think long and hard.

If you move to NYC to follow your dream career, you will be giving up comfort. It's as simple as that. In addition, jobs in the field(s) you are talking about are hard to find and are considered "glamour" jobs because everyone want to get into writing/publishing/communications and also they do not pay very well. You will be luck to find a studio apartment in Manhattan for $1,000 - $1,500 a month (and paying two months rent as a security deposit). Quite a few people here spend two weeks pay on their rent - just a thought. I would recommend that you try to get into a more creative area of employment in Houston. I'm sure it can be done, even if Houston does not have the creative reputation or whatever of New York, there must still be some jobs that involve writing or publishing or communications or that are more artistically inclined than your work in the oil and gas industry. New York is a very expensive city to live in and you need a lot of money to live comfortably here. And it's nowhere near as exciting here as it used to be. My advice to you: stay in Houston!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:15 PM

274 posts, read 320,223 times
Stay in Houston?

Sure, you could follow the idiot's advise and stay in that dead-end city, working the same boring job which you obviously have no interest in.

Don't question yourself. Move. Its never too late to follow your dreams, and if you give up you can always come back to Houston.

Fact is, New York is and always will be the most desirable city to be. Still the fastest growing, population wise. Its the land of opportunities. Very nice and exciting place, you should definately give it a shot.

Btw, I used to live in L.A., lived in Houston for a small part of my life and I'm now in New York.

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:55 AM

127 posts, read 521,230 times
I also lived in Houston for a while, and I liked it a lot. I hated moving back to NYC, but things have worked out better for me here. I, too, worked in the creative fields both in Houston and in NYC, and made way more here. All things considered, you will likely live less well here on more. But that's only if you don't become among the highly successful minority. And who's to say you won't one day?

Remember: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I say go for it!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Just remember that if you do move to NYC, Houston Street is pronounced Houseton Street Not Hewston Street. You'll sound just like a New Yorker and no one will be any the wiser.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 AM

127 posts, read 521,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Just remember that if you do move to NYC, Houston Street is pronounced Houseton Street Not Hewston Street. You'll sound just like a New Yorker and no one will be any the wiser.

That's true! It's good to have a heads-up.

In Houston, I experienced the same thing: San Felipe was pronounced "San Fillipee" and the town of Humble was pronounced "Umble."

And far too many people used the term "Yankee" openly and not without hostility toward "outsiders". I am proud to say that you will be hard-pressed to find the equivalent here.

I think you'll like it here.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM

314 posts, read 492,620 times
don't come to my neighborhood

Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivygirl View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm a 10th year Houstonian. Been flirting w/the idea of relocating to the East Coast for awhile (particulary NYC). I also like the DC area. While Houston is a very comfortable city to live in, I don't feel it has what I need professionally.

Houston is an industrial city that achieves its growth from oil & gas, engineering and medical industries. But I'm cut from the artistic cloth. I'm a writer who's heart is in the world of arts/culture/entertainment. Before I landed in the unmotivating corporate throes of oil & gas (still wondering how I got there), I did marketing/promotions and event management. I wouldn't mind going back into those field but I'm more interested in writing/communications related careers from an arts and/or publishing industry aspect.

I'd like some insight on NY and the degree of difficulty in obtaining these types of jobs. I know people are flocking there due to these industries but I'd like some insight from people who've lived there.

I've search the boards and I see no postings from people moving TO NY. It's always FROM...Hmmmm...Hint-hint, I guess.

Please educate me. I've visited on several ocassions but I know living there is different.
NYC is actually one of the fastest growing metros in the nation, and only Atlanta is growing faster within city limits.

You should go for it. It would be a great experience. If you don't like it, you could always move back. It's not like you have to stay here.

You'll never get bored, you'll always have something to do. I love it.

Who needs cheap housing when you live in a city where people are rarely inside their apartment? I know people who could afford a 3br apartment on the Upper East Side with views of Central Park, but bought a studio on the Upper East Side near 1st Ave. They're only in it to sleep. Now they have more money to have fun with.

Don't listen to the other poster who said NYC is not exciting anymore. I used to think that, but it's just as exciting as it was way back when, if not more. The lights have gotten brighter, the city is growing like crazy, the people are always out, there's always something going on; from the saxophone player, to the break dancers, to the drummers, from the Italian tempers, to the Arab cabbie tempers, from the honking horns, to the quacking ducks in Central Park, from the squeaky breaks, to the chirping birds of Central Park. There's always something going on.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post

I've partied on Houston (Houseton) street in NY the last time I was there. My friend who lives in the Bronx kept having to correct me because my tongue was stuck on Hewston (lol).

Old 08-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate it greatly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: