Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times

Advertisements

What I've been noticing lately is women wearing skirts who sit down only to stare directly at the man in front of her to see if he's looking at her legs or up her skirt. If you're that worried who may be looking then either don't wear a skirt or don't sit down with one if you're that paranoid. On several occasions it's even happened to me and it's kind of hard not to look FORWARD when there's someone sitting directly in front of you. I've seen one woman accuse a man of taking pics when all he was doing was browsing the internet on his phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 AM

259 posts, read 368,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
There is no way this should be allowed. They take up 3 seats plus extra aisle room.
Bicycles generally aren't allowed on commuter rail during rush hour. Good luck trying to have this enforced on the subway though.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,089 times
Just to add to the panhandlers list, it looks like some are taking the direct approach.

Instead of coming to a car, giving a speech and then walking up and down the car with their hand out - this one dude on the 5 train decides he'll just go up to people individually and ask for change. I really thought someone was going to drop him where he stood if he got a bit too close to violating their personal space.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 PM

420 posts, read 697,838 times
last notable thing I saw on the train when was out of the blue some Caucasian milf with nice breast implants suddenly got up and started screaming at the black Traci Bingham lookalike that was sitting next to her. Tracy got up and rocked Milfy directly in the face with her purse. Young hipster quickly hopped up and wedged himself between the two ladies before anyone else could even comprehend what we were seeing. He was very happy to do so as indicated by his lower shirt area becoming tent-like.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Speaking of panhandlers, I am tempted to hand over whatever edible items (like a tomato from the farmer's market) I have on me when they ask for "change or food". If they dare complain, I would love to reply, "Beggars can't be choosers (and you, my dear, are a beggar)." Then again, I'm afraid I'd be smacked.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,773 times
This thread is comedy! LOL The first post was of course hilarious.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,089 times
Germophobe of the Year:

At Union Square this afternoon, a young lady who looks to be an "Upper Eastsider" gets in the car, examines the seat she wants to sit in (one by the doors). She then proceeds to pull out a "Wet Ones" hand wipe and wipe the seat and the metal frame around it down and she does this for almost a solid minute before finally sitting down. And then she takes another one out to wipe her own hands.

One other woman who was sitting not too far away was crying with laughter at this event.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:10 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
Speaking of panhandlers, I am tempted to hand over whatever edible items (like a tomato from the farmer's market) I have on me when they ask for "change or food". If they dare complain, I would love to reply, "Beggars can't be choosers (and you, my dear, are a beggar)." Then again, I'm afraid I'd be smacked.
Woman that works with me offered a beggar her lunch because he kept saying how hungry he was. He refused it.

Most beggars just want money for drugs or booze

Old 08-23-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Germophobe of the Year:

At Union Square this afternoon, a young lady who looks to be an "Upper Eastsider" gets in the car, examines the seat she wants to sit in (one by the doors). She then proceeds to pull out a "Wet Ones" hand wipe and wipe the seat and the metal frame around it down and she does this for almost a solid minute before finally sitting down. And then she takes another one out to wipe her own hands.

One other woman who was sitting not too far away was crying with laughter at this event.
Having read some posts on Gothamist about some serious lapses in subway etiquette (and er...sanitation of passengers) I wouldn't blame her.

Soliciting money on the subways is against the rules, yet I've never seen it enforced. I wonder why.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 13,227 times
Did anyone mention "turnstile-blockers"? These are the folks who (usually during rush-hour and usually in the station with only 3 turnstiles) stand directly in front of a turnstile, blocking it, while fumbling in their purse for a metrocard. As luck would have it, your train is approaching the station at that exact same moment, and the other 2 turnstiles are busy with people rushing to catch their train..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City