Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,136,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
Wow, I didn't know there was such an aversion to giving seats up to kids. Well if logic (and courtesy) dictates that you should give your seat up to a pregnant or elderly person because it's hard to hold on, don't you think that logic should apply to a 3 or 4 year old that doesn't have a lot of coordination or balance?
They're small, they don't have far to fall.

No, I'm not going to defer to anyone's kids. When I was that age, I was supposed to defer to adults, and now that I'm an adult I'm going to take my adult privileges.

Oh, yeah, and to the pregnant lady on the PATH who waited until she got off to tell me that I was supposed to give up my seat to her, I got a few things to say
1) Yes, in most cars the seat I was in is marked as a priority seat. In the one I was on, it wasn't; I checked afterwards. Sue the Port Authority.
2) You want me to get up, you're at least going to have to ream me out when you get on, not when you get off. If I'm sitting there reading my book and you get on and I just notice you're giving me dirty looks, I'm just going to think you're crazy.
3) I may be only middle-aged, but I do have arthritis. You want to play greater-handicap games with me, you'll have to do better than pregnancy. Personally I'd rather not, and probably would have let you sit down if I'd had any idea that's what you wanted (see #2)
4) I didn't realize you were pregnant, I thought you were just FAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM

125 posts, read 228,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
What if someone did confront you? What valid argument do you have for a non-paying child to take a seat, versus a paying customer? Other than it being rude for the person to confront you, and the whole "this is america" line, I don't see how you can make a case for your kid. Unless of course he's handicapped, but that's a different story.

Like I said, kids have too much energy anyway and should stand to burn it off. They take naps and eat candy during the day. A little standing won't hurt them. They should be clutching onto your arms/hands anyway, not hold onto the pole.
I'm not a jerk. If the train or bus is packed, I will have my child sit on my lap or I will get up and let my child sit to free up a seat if I see an elderly or pregnant person or even another mother with a child. The times that I do get up and let my child sit, I get nervous looks or dirty looks from people who are sitting next to her in fear that she is going to disturb them (which she never does). And I don't know about you, but trying to hold onto the pole yourself and then trying to hold a small child's hand so they don't fall is pretty darn hard. And if I were confronted, I would politely tell them where they could go. You can't win with people. There's something wrong with you if you need a seat so bad that you are willing to yell at someone's kid. Word of advice - Never mess with a mama bear or her cub. You are just lucky I have only one child. You all must really have a problem with woman that come on with like 5 or 6 kids and gives a seat to every, single one.

Oh, and this wasn't directed at any one person. Just a general viewpoint.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 PM

39 posts, read 76,864 times
People who give panhandlers or entertainers dirty looks, then proceed to give me a dirty look when I give them spare money. Like, seriously?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 AM

349 posts, read 779,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
You guys are forgetting...

The rapper: The usually black/puerto rican youth that decides to rap a whole song out loud.

Bad Breath: Standing next to someone with bad breath. Bonus points if they continuously yawn throughout the subway ride.
Whenever I see "the out loud rapper" I can't help but think it's for attention. As if a record exec is going to run up to them and say oh my god you are so talented! Please sign with my label and make an album with your mad skills detailing your unique struggle in the hood! Don't see me singing my rock songs out loud - just sayin.

Anyways, my main grievance is people who stop near the door and oblivious backpack wearers.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,632,360 times
Question: How many of you posting on this thread would welcome Police interaction to stop all these issues from occurring? How far should the Police go to deter these things from happening in the future?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 AM

448 posts, read 683,757 times
Eh, my son always gets a seat on the train. Kids need to sit and not swing all around the train. They most certainly don't need to hold that DISGUSTING pole, and then put their hands in their face or mouth. Don't see the problem with that. And if a kid wiggles then Newsflash!!!!!: that's because they're KIDS!! Duh!

Anyway, I have no complaints. I don't even pay attention to people on the train. With my headphones in,music blasting, I just mind my business.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 AM

292 posts, read 703,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
People who give panhandlers or entertainers dirty looks, then proceed to give me a dirty look when I give them spare money. Like, seriously?
It's actually illegal to panhandle in the subway, the MTA wants to discourage it, and people have a right to take their $2.25 ride without being begged for money. They get enough of that at home from their kids, lol.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM

292 posts, read 703,439 times
Also, it's incredibly offensive to a lot of people to walk onto a crowded subway in a cloud of what is usually really bad cologne or perfume. I have never encountered a bottled fragrance that I have preferred to no fragrance at all, and some people are actually allergic to perfumes. I really wish the fragrance industry would go kaput.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,512,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Question: How many of you posting on this thread would welcome Police interaction to stop all these issues from occurring? How far should the Police go to deter these things from happening in the future?
I can tell you as a former conductor, there's not a fraction of the police presence there should be. Most of the time, it's up to the riding public to abide by the rules...and you can see exactly how far that gets you!

The thing that really annoys me the most is this: MTA is fully capable of enforcing its own rules. It just doesn't happen until there's enough of an outcry.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Eh, my son always gets a seat on the train. Kids need to sit and not swing all around the train. They most certainly don't need to hold that DISGUSTING pole, and then put their hands in their face or mouth. Don't see the problem with that. And if a kid wiggles then Newsflash!!!!!: that's because they're KIDS!! Duh!

Anyway, I have no complaints. I don't even pay attention to people on the train. With my headphones in,music blasting, I just mind my business.
We as humans are actually much more disgusting than the subway poles. Its much easier to get sick from the person sitting next to you than the pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City