Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 13,132 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from sacramento, ca. Me and this girl I know are seriously considering moving there. We both have jobs that can transfer us with our same benefits.(Radioshack and sephora) and should have a decent amount of money saved between the both of us before we decided to live there. i'm 21 year old guy and shes a 20 year old girl. I have my associates degree in marketing as well. We have been weighing a lot of the options and we want to learn from the experience. Maybe not living there forever, but something to learn and grow from as people and learn from each other as well. We plan on taking a vacation there sometime in december to check things out to see if we really want to do this. We looked at a ton of neighborhoods online and we saw west harlem. Looked nice online, but is it really what it seems to us at least? Or if there is somewhere way better in the city thats more afforadble and nicer. I just wanted to know some things to expect, look out for, things to consider, and reconsider before even thinking about making this type of move. any input would really help? just anything. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 PM

241 posts, read 591,664 times
"decent" means different thing to different people. First thing you have to tell us is how much do you think you'll make annually, and how much you want to spend on rent. And how many square ft you think you want in an apartment

Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 PM

i would say at least a one bedroom, not a studio. so 600-700 sq ft. maybe smaller and between the both of us i would say 35-40k a year, and that number could grow to say if her or i got promoted. which we very well could considering hwo long we have been working for our companys and awards we have won. and 'decent" means at least a laundry inside the building and no really creepy people around the neighborhood. "not ghetto." would be the term id use. i would just like her to feel safe say i wasnt home and she would be ok by herself to walk to grocery store, things like that. and how does parking work because we looking to take at least one of our cars accross the country. were obviously not used to the whole subway thing. lol.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:47 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
LOL , you want to live on 30-40k in NYC. Your not going to be comfort with that level of Income maybe 60-80k... Look in Urban or Suburban Jersey which has the same level Transportation as NYC...and cheaper housing. Why NYC even to begin with?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:52 PM

ok thank you so much! well with surburban jersey, how far away driving wise it from the city? Things to do, etc etc? Colleges/ Stuff like that?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I think you're going to have to drastically change your expectations. With that salary you can pay about $1,000/month (TOTAL), and you want quite a bit for that amount. And you're not serious about bringing the car, are you? You're going to be spending a fortune on maintaining it and worrying about parking, and for what? If you're really going to make this move you're going to have to take a good long look at your finances and what you are willing to sacrifice to make it happen. Ditch the cars, consider a studio, and expand your search parameters and your odds of finding something will be better. Enjoy your trip in December, and take the time to explore neighborhoods around the city.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 PM

241 posts, read 591,664 times
you're not in CA anymore. We don't drive here. (OK, that's an extreme, some people drive. But parking in Manhattan is $20 a day. Free parking unlikely to exist near your work. We do not have parking lots like anywhere else in the country. We at best have street parking, most streets are metered. Basically, you can't afford a car. Realistically, you can't afford to move to NYC.)

During your trip, look for open houses you can go to for apartments. You need a really serious reality check on your budget. Where are you looking online? West Harlem for $1000 1 bedroom is likely really in the ghetto or it looks like a 1000 sq ft apartment that's actually 300 sq ft. A lot of false advertising for real estate in NYC.

The closest to NYC you should look at is Newport Mall in NJ, and live further in NJ. Or just work and live in NJ and come into the city on your free day. The farer you live/work from NYC the more realistic your budget is. (45 minutes commute is considered close in NYC. So, your budget will put you well outside 1 hour to come into the city.)

Last edited by yee8p; 10-22-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman2716 View Post
ok thank you so much! well with surburban jersey, how far away driving wise it from the city? Things to do, etc etc? Colleges/ Stuff like that?
We have a large Regional Railway network that connects every large city and town in this region to Urban Jersey / NYC. It depends on what college you want to go to , the big Colleges are NYU , Rutgers University in New Brunswick (Main Campus) and Newark (Northern Campus) , Theres SUNY , PACE University , Ramapo College... Personally I think you should go to Rutgers in New Brunswick which is a pretty decent sized city of 70,000 , its dense , there is nightlife due to the numerous colleges in the city and its 50-60mins by Train or Bus to Manhattan. 30-50k is the Middle Class in this region , for a single person thats fine , but if your a couple you might find it hard living in the city on that. 30-40k is very livable in Southeastern PA / Philly , you could live , work and study there which is similar to this region in Diversity and lifestyle just cheaper. Philly is 2.5hrs by Train or bus to NYC....

Old 10-23-2011, 11:37 AM

If I'm wrong my bad but if rent is 1100 and i have seen many on craiglist and we bring home 2500 a month between the two of us i dont see how other expenses would go up to 1400 a month. subway, electricity, food, phone bill and other daily expenses??? were college kids. and we would have money saved. were not looking for a life of luxury and understand our time will come when when we get that pay raise to be able to do those things. plus well have money saved before we go out there. so i dont understand where "we couldnt do it" comes from. i agree with whoever made the comemnt of the car. were just weighing all our options and were looking to change our lives for the better and also learn from the experiences we would have in new york city as well.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
i think you can make it..however it wont be sex and the city life if thats what your expecting...but since youll already have jobs in the city and saving thats really helps.. subway will cost you around 100 each for unlimited ....if an apartment is 1100 make sure you CHECK it out.. because thats pretty low..means it may not be nice or maybe in a dangerous place... and look at our boroughs other than manhattan but your looking in harlem so i see you are looking on the outside instead of just manhattan...
and the others are right there is places like jersey city that are just 20 mins from the city on the PATH(its the subway for like new jersey)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City