Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,406 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am suing my landlord for not returning deposit on time-it's been over half a year, so I expect triple the damage,

I also would like to sue for damaged clothing and extra transportation fees incurred due to their illegal eviction - they kicked me out without 30 days notice, and that resulted in me having to live in a place farther from the city and substantially more transportation fees.

I had to throw away a lot of my clothes, due to the fact that the person who accepted me in the new apartment knew i had a bed bug situation in the older apartment.

Does that sound reasonable to ask for compensation of more than just the deposit?

Thanks for your insights!

Dee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesw8 View Post

Does that sound reasonable to ask for compensation of more than just the deposit?...............................
No,not really.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Default to blue dog

Why is that?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Why is that?
You clothes had bed bugs so they needed to go anyway.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I am suing my landlord for not returning deposit on time-it's been over half a year, so I expect triple the damage,

I also would like to sue for damaged clothing and extra transportation fees incurred due to their illegal eviction - they kicked me out without 30 days notice, and that resulted in me having to live in a place farther from the city and substantially more transportation fees.

I had to throw away a lot of my clothes, due to the fact that the person who accepted me in the new apartment knew i had a bed bug situation in the older apartment.

Does that sound reasonable to ask for compensation of more than just the deposit?

Thanks for your insights!

Dee.
Did you call the cops and file a police report when they kicked you out? Unless you did you're looking at a very difficult legal battle in terms of proof.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i would see a lawyer not CDF.
i get asked about suing people alot.
bottom line you did not pay the rent. it comes outa your deposit. read your agreement. was apt spiffy when you moved out? if he had to clean it and fix it up it comes out of deposit.
as to pain and suffering claim and travel expenses. does not sound super strong to me.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 PM

27 posts, read 99,571 times
Certainly not for the clothes, but maybe for the other things.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i would see a lawyer not CDF.
i get asked about suing people alot.
bottom line you did not pay the rent. it comes outa your deposit. read your agreement. was apt spiffy when you moved out? if he had to clean it and fix it up it comes out of deposit.
as to pain and suffering claim and travel expenses. does not sound super strong to me.
Landlord probably had to exterminate the bed bugs after the OP was thrown out.Bed bug extermination is expensive.

Landlord might counter sue for mental anguish of having his building infested with bed bugs.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM

to blue dog and alkonost

thanks for the comments. I forgot to mention that the bed bug situation was caused by landlord -not from me. so due to that situation and their wrongful eviction, i really had no choice but to go.
i don't have police report cuz i thought they were going to pay me the deposit, and that's it,
now that they didnt, i realized they were just trying to retain the deposit with the excuse of accusing tenants of making the apartment dirty, and so on.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

by the way, she also had illegal partition in the living room...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City