Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

I could not BELIEVE the amount of garbage on the tracks of the N and R trains at 59th Street and Lex yesterday. The RAT running amidst the pile was a bit of cleanliness...even HE looked put upon.
A nice looking oriental man asked whether we LIVED here. We said "YES."

He asked how we could could tolerate such disgusting conditions.

We said "this is what the lazy, unscrupulous transit system decrees that we must tolerate."

He said that in South Korea (Seoul) such managers would be dragged into court.

The track had about 1000 times as much garbage piled up as the picture of the early overflowing trash container could contain.

I told the Korean to memorize ONE bottle on the tracks and come back in one year...the bottle would still be there.

Some manager in the MTA should be drowned in the East River.

CLEAN the FU%$ING TRACKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM

83 posts, read 99,527 times
Default The MTA employees at the & Main Street

I have to be honest and say that I used to live in Flushing and took the 7 train from Main street often. If those garbage cans are overflowing it's becaat the end of the line you have a bunch of MTA workers there who are supposed to be cleaning the cars and maintaining the station but they sit around and casually chat with each other.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvisa View Post
I have to be honest and say that I used to live in Flushing and took the 7 train from Main street often. If those garbage cans are overflowing it's becaat the end of the line you have a bunch of MTA workers there who are supposed to be cleaning the cars and maintaining the station but they sit around and casually chat with each other.
I can also say that i have seen this type of behaviour. I also overheard 2 Mta employees talking about a co-worker who disappears for 2-3 hrs over. One said, "he is overdoing it, he is going to get caught." Then, the MTA is "force" to pay them overtime so they can complete their work.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 PM

141 posts, read 352,902 times
There would probably be a lot less trash and other problems if the MTA ran the system like it were actually Rapid Transit. The less time people spend in the subway, the happier they are. Also they each have less time to generate all of that daily waste, though I'm sure there are decathlons among them. Of course surface sanitation would likely have to pick up the pace though. But this means accountability for the city and stepped up quality of service from MTA. Eliminating the trash bins is great because if it doesn't work they can just blame a slovenly ridership who will buy them back with a good fare hike.

Last edited by Tony Of New York; 10-27-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 AM

I am certain that some of the trash on the tracks is so old that it could be CARBON dated.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a crew to shovel the tracks of each station at least once a month? God knows, the individual lines are shut down often enough to do it safely.
How long would it take for 4 men to shovel one station reasonably clean?
(Unless it's one man to shovel and three to caution him not to break a nail.)

Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I could not BELIEVE the amount of garbage on the tracks of the N and R trains at 59th Street and Lex yesterday. The RAT running amidst the pile was a bit of cleanliness...even HE looked put upon.
A nice looking oriental man asked whether we LIVED here. We said "YES."

He asked how we could could tolerate such disgusting conditions.

We said "this is what the lazy, unscrupulous transit system decrees that we must tolerate."

He said that in South Korea (Seoul) such managers would be dragged into court.

The track had about 1000 times as much garbage piled up as the picture of the early overflowing trash container could contain.

I told the Korean to memorize ONE bottle on the tracks and come back in one year...the bottle would still be there.

Some manager in the MTA should be drowned in the East River.

CLEAN the FU%$ING TRACKS!

Is it posbbilbe that somebody high up in the MTA actually READS citi-data?
My post referred to Wednesday afternoon 10/26 and the immense amount of garbage on the N,R Westbound track at 59th and Lex. I'd been seeing it build and build for months.
Well, last night, Friday 10/28 I was at the same place and 75% of the garbage was removed from the tracks. Still awful but my guesstimate was that 75 bushels of garbage was hauled away. So much so the permanent canal was allowed to drain from the Westernmost end...the rats had dry land to walk on.

So, thank you whoever did it. There's more to be done (25 bushels more) but a start is a start.
Who knows, maybe SOMEBODY cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City