Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:39 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,989,521 times

Advertisements

There is no discrimination in the admissions to the city's specialized high schools other the test scores and it would be stupid to try to dismantle a system that results in NYC having some of the best high schools in the country.

The problem is not with city schools or "racist" admissions policies.The problem is in the home environment.Parents that value education,demand performance from their kids and take an active role in keeping their kid's out of trouble and goal oriented get their kids into the specialized high schools.

The type of environment that results in specialized high school admissions is overwhelmingly present in immigrant homes and lacking in in most other segments of the population.

That's why there is such a high number of Asians in the specialized high schools.It's as simple as that.They work for it.

Parents need to stop blaming the NYC school system and supposedly "racist " policies for their own failures.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenKesh View Post
I say no.........

But knowing this, at what point do we stop blaming the system and take responsibility for our own success or failure? I came out of one of the lowest performing schools back then. I had a library card, a strict mother and friends who also wanted to be somebody. I did what I had to do to get where I wanted to go - without the system.
My point exactly.I see it every day.Parents engaged,kids do well.Parents absent,kids fail.

There are sometimes exceptions to this rule both ways but it holds the overwhelming majority of the time.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,277,170 times
I agree with the above posts... Also, when you see "white" as the majority don't believe they're talking about "american whites". The majority of whites I met at Brooklyn Tech were children of Polish, Russian, Ukranian immigrants.

Same with the "African-americans". The majority of them were from the carribean.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
I agree with the above posts... Also, when you see "white" as the majority don't believe they're talking about "american whites". The majority of whites I met at Brooklyn Tech were children of Polish, Russian, Ukranian immigrants.

Same with the "African-americans". The majority of them were from the carribean.
......or children of African immigrants.Definitely not AA.

The most amazing thing is the high percentage of kids that go to specialized high schools who's parents barely speak English.Talk about being "disadvantaged" !

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenKesh View Post
I say no. I'm Black and graduated from Stuyvesant in 1985 (even then it was predominantly Asian), as did many of my Black friends. I knew others who passed the test for Stuy and Bk Tech but chose to go elsewhere for reasons like wanting to play basketball at Andrew Jackson, wanting to go to Bergtraum with her boyfriend, and not wanting to go to "that white school".

Everyone, regardless of race, takes the same exam. A big problem is and has always been that poor kids receive a poor education, leaving them unprepared for the specialized schools. And believe me, if you can't pass the test to get in, you really can't handle the workload. Those of any race who are prepared should not be held back.

But knowing this, at what point do we stop blaming the system and take responsibility for our own success or failure? I came out of one of the lowest performing schools back then. I had a library card, a strict mother and friends who also wanted to be somebody. I did what I had to do to get where I wanted to go - without the system.

Great point --- I wish more people (minorities and non-minorities) would take this advice!!!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,537,550 times
Plz stop blaming everyone and everybody. I went to BK Tech after going to a catholic school for K-8. The school had barely any resources like the public schools. You want to know what my secret was? Not much, I just picked up a review book from the public library and did a few tests. I never finished the book and made many half ass attempts but I got in. I ended up taking the subway from the Bronx to attend this school. Was it worth it? No not for me. I missed Bronx Science by 5 points. Did you know that if you miss cutoff score by few points, I believe up to 20 points you could qualify for a summer program called the Discovery program. Upon successful completion, you get to go to that specialized school. The only hitch, is that you have to qualify for this program based on "socio-economic" factors. I did not qualify even though I barely exceeded those parameters. The poor and the rich get it so good. The working class stiff..........just gets STIFFED

Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,712,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzsjp View Post
Hello ~~

I am a social work student who learned something a bit shocking about the New York City specialized high school system.

I wanted to post what I learned and see whether people agree with me or not. Whether you agree or disagree, please respond to this thread!

There arecurrently 8 “specialized high schools” in New York City that we, the taxpayers, are funding. These are elite schools with advanced curricula.

In order to get into any of the specialized schools, a student needs to do especially well on one standardized test. This is a system that even the best colleges in America do NOT use. Indeed, this method of selection is called “high-stakes testing” and few educators would agree that it is a valid meansfor admission anywhere.

This system was established in 1972 and hasn't changed.

The “best” of these specialized high schools is considered to be Stuyvesant, and if we look at Stuyvesant we can see something problematic about the whole system of specialized high schools. High-stakes testing creates a system where students in the most diverse city in America are racially segregated from each other. For this reason alone the specialized system must be abandoned as just a fancy way to avoid following the Court ruling of Brown vs. the Board of Education.

For the 2010 academic year, the student body at Stuy was approximately 69.3% Asian and 25.7% Caucasian, 1.7% African American and 2.9% Hispanic.

The city's population in 2010 was 33% white (non-Hispanic), 23% black (non-Hispanic), 13% Asian. Hispanics of any race represented 29% of the population. (I am also Asian.)

Therefore statistics show that although 52% of New Yorkers are black and Hispanic and pay taxes for the public education system, only 4.6% of the students at Stuyvesant High School are black and Hispanic.

Basically the specialized system is geared to separate students based on race. White and Asian students get their own, “special” schools of remarkable quality, while black and Latino students receive racially segregated schools which are often dangerous.

There is clearly something wrong with a system of education that allows such racial segregation. An ex-mayor and an ex-school Chancellor have both stated that the high-stakes testing criteria forStuyvesant is wrong and racially biased. Our tax dollars should not be going to create a system of racial segregation in the field of education!

Is it right that Asian and White students do not study with Black and Latino students? What kind of message are we sending to these students?! Basically we are telling them that they are, racially, “better” than Blacks and Latinos and this is unacceptable. We are telling them it’s OK, in the name of “science” and “knowledge” to separate themselves from people of color.

In New York City this is wrong.

The Coleman Report on Equality of Education pointed out that the more dangerous a child’s neighborhood, and the poorer a child’s neighborhood, the less likely the child will be to do well in school. If we can bail out banks, we can bail out the inner city and provide safe, clean neighborhoods and meaningful jobs for black and Latino parents.

We need to eliminate these racially segregated specialized high schools and begin saving our outer boroughs for the sake of children of color in this city.

The State legislature has the power to cut funding to these “special” schools and to restructure them.

These are some folks in charge:

Catherine Nolan, Chairperson New York Assembly Education Committee
nolanc@assembly.state.ny.us

John Flanagan, Chairman New York Senate Education Committee
flanagan@senate.state.ny.us

Governor Andrew Cuomo
governor.cuomo@ny.gov

The specialized school system looks like a pleasant and useful system to foster academic excellence, but in reality it is a disgraceful way to segregate children racially and to instill harmful racial attitudes into our young people.

If you disagree, however, please let me know! That's why I posted this in a forum.

Thank you ~~

Julie
You are a race-baiter, and nothing more.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
You are a race-baiter, and nothing more.
either that or his/her kid didn't make it into the specialized school of their choice and now they're on a "racist rant" until someone caves and lets the kid in.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,508,790 times
"Therefore statistics show that although 52% of New Yorkers are black and Hispanic and pay taxes for the public education system, only 4.6% of the students at Stuyvesant High School are black and Hispanic."

If you think that black and hispanic new yorkers pay 52% of the city's income taxes you are wrong by a long shot. Not that that has anything to do with how the racial make-up of a school should be decided.

Last edited by bg7; 10-26-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,888,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post

Anyways, this isn't racist. It has more to do with how the parents educate the children. Many chinese students that live in my neighborhood face the same struggles, same crappy schools and same low income but many manage to get in. Why? Saturday school and the strictness of their parents.
I am an educator by profession and I completely agree.

Is it unfortunate that children do not choose to whom they are born ? Of course. It is actually heartbreaking. The parents need to make different decisions or refrain from bearing children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City