Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM

458 posts, read 616,527 times

Advertisements

My brothers will be visiting me in Manhattan soon. I know plenty about living here I suppose, but at the same time I am realizing I know very little about visiting...

They're very interested in military history and aviation, or something along those lines. We've done the Intrepid already, what else might you suggest? I don't really know of any other similar attractions here. Price isn't really an issue, nor is time. We're pretty open to anything.

In London, for example, they loved the HMS Belfast, Imperial War Museum, Churchill War Rooms... You get the idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 AM

546 posts, read 1,177,733 times
Military stuff in NYC? I am not sure about that, I don't think they'd have any military stuff there. They have a Brooklyn Navy Yard but I don't think it is used for navy stuff anymore or most of it is not anyway. Occasionally they have some aircraft carrier come by and dock, but you can't go on it (obviously) so maybe they are sailors just going to have a fun time in NYC.

You could try getting on Governor's Island or looking to see if you can find tickets for a ferry there. They have military history I bet there, as it was used as a barracks during the Revolutionary war I think. But I just looked though and it says it is closed for the season.

Here is a museum in Brooklyn you can visit. It is supposed to be for the Army.
Harbor Defense Museum

Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 AM

43,689 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
Military stuff in NYC? I am not sure about that, I don't think they'd have any military stuff there. They have a Brooklyn Navy Yard but I don't think it is used for navy stuff anymore or most of it is not anyway. Occasionally they have some aircraft carrier come by and dock, but you can't go on it (obviously) so maybe they are sailors just going to have a fun time in NYC.

You could try getting on Governor's Island or looking to see if you can find tickets for a ferry there. They have military history I bet there, as it was used as a barracks during the Revolutionary war I think. But I just looked though and it says it is closed for the season.

Here is a museum in Brooklyn you can visit. It is supposed to be for the Army.
Harbor Defense Museum
The Brooklyn Navy Yard Museum just opened last Friday. So it is definitely one option (see Museum in Brooklyn Navy Yard charts its ship-building history - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/museum-brooklyn-navy-yard-charts-ship-building-history-234207450.html - broken link) ).

Another option is a visit to Floyd Bennett Field/Park which has a hanger of restored old aircraft (including a few seaplanes).

If you have a car and are willing go to Long Island there are 2 aviation museums there: The American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport in Farmingdale (which you could also get to by LIRR with a short taxi ride from the Farmingdale LIRR station) and The Cradle of Aviation Museum at Mitchell Field (see The Cradle of Aviation Museum).

Old 11-10-2011, 07:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Governor's Island might be interesting for them, but it also is probably already closed for the season.

Maybe also look into Fort Totten in Queens?
Fort Totten Park Highlights - Fort Totten : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Old 11-11-2011, 07:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
The Intrepid! Wonderful museum!

Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island, and Battery Park. Ft. Wadsworth is a great place to spend the day and you really the a feel for what military life was like 200+ years ago on the base.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 PM

144 posts, read 464,103 times
fort greene park is technically a military site(revolutionary war was fought there). There is a building/visitor center there that briefly discusses the history of the revolutionary war.

Also you might find this link intersting Battle of Long Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also an active military base in bay ridge brooklyn(Fort Hamilton) that is not open to the public)

Fort Hamilton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Castle Clinton in Battery Park was built to protect harbor in 1812(Castle Clinton National Monument (U.S. National Park Service))

On saturday 11/12 they are holding the Commemoration of the 235th Anniversary of the Battle of Fort Washington from noon to 3 p.m. at Fort Tryon Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City