Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Btw, cf77 I was with you up until the Bronx best borough part... Brooklyn used to be the borough that was tattoed on my heart but after the gentrification effect hit the borough I've switched to Queens... Most diverse borough in the city... Still has an ethnic feel to it without too much crime... Got the best of both worlds here and hope it stays that way...
I agree my friend. I still have family in BK, But BX is where most family/friends are so I hold it a little closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:29 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Back in the old days when someone moved west of the Concourse it was considered as a step up on the QOL ladder. I still have that mentality left. Not to say that there aren't grimey tenement areas there but IMO east of the Concourse is still in these days worse.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
SuperWario reminds me of the people from Alabama who complain about people from Mississipi being rednecks! Just so you know..they are both the same to everyone else. Those on the bottom always want someone else to look down on, and knowing that "at least I am not them" provides some sort of validation and self-esteem. Alot of slavery and the subsequent Jim Crowe laws were reinforced by the poor whites....they were shunned by everyone, "but at least I ain't a n****er". SuperWario is no different in that mentality.

The fact remains, that any difference in the perception of Mott Haven vs University Heights to locals is minimal, and nobody would know the difference. What people DO notice is that Mott Haven and the Southern Bronx in general is a shorter/easier commute to Manhattan, has the historic brownstones which transplants and locals are buying up, has the lofts which artists have been moving into, has the retail/greenspace/restaurants/bars moving in, and has the billions in new affordable housing which are bringing the middle class to the community. And these are the issues that ultimately matter in changing a community....none of which, unfortunately, is happening in University Heights, or basically anywhere north of 165th (yet).

So while you take pleasure in the "at least I ain't a n***er" twisted self-esteem, know that to everyone else, you are no different. Mott Haven and the Southern Bronx in general will continue to ascend, while the Central Bronx will still have it's challenges. And this is nothing to be happy about for me, it is something we should all address and discuss.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM

810 posts, read 836,559 times
This is nothing new, a lot of vicious racial bigotry has been coming out of black ghettos.

Fed up Asians boycott Black racism and hate crimes
BLACK KIDS THROWING ASIAN LADY UNTO MUNI TRACKS AT SAN FRANCISCO BAYVIEW
Judge is soft on Black on Asian hate crimes
Racist Blacks are targeting Asian women for hate crimes in New York
Vietnamese man beaten by racist Blacks in Georgia
Many brutally beaten in racially motivated mob attack
5 Black teens beat Chinese restaurant owner to death with bricks
Racist Blacks beat a Chinese man to death
Racist Blacks attack Asian college students
Racist Blacks beat an Ecuadorean to death
Black admits to targeting Asians but says he's not racist
Black racist beat Hispanic man to death
Black racists attack Latino family in Louisiana
Hundreds of fed up Latinos protest Black racism
Mexican beaten by 6 racist Blacks on Staten Island
No hate crime conviction for Black racist Hakim Scott
Mexican beaten by 3 racist Blacks on Staten Island, New York
Racism against Mexicans exposed
100 activists call to stop Black on Latino hate crime violence in Peekskill, New York
Mexican beaten by 3 racist Blacks in Brooklyn, New York
Racist Black people are targeting Latinos for hate crimes (En Español with English subtitles)
Attacks on Mexicans Leave Neighborhood in Turmoil - NYTimes.com
3 Teens Charged In Attack Of Indian Immigrant On Street
Politically incorrect hate-crime beating of Latino immigrant
Teenager nearly killed in horrific racially motivated mob attack
Shocking large scale racially motivated attack
Elderly Walmart greeter choked in brutal racially motived attack
Blacks kill Asian woman
Gangbangers arrested in hate crime roundup for targeting Whites and Latinos
Horrifying racially motivated attack caught on tape
2nd Racist Attack on St Louis School Bus in one week
Oceanside, Long Island Racial Attack
Blacks Beat Up 1 White Boy in an unprovoked racial attack
Black Students Attack White Man For Eating Dinner With Black Man
Racist Black gangs are targeting White men for hate crimes in Baltimore
White Student Beaten By Black Students On A Bus
Black flash mob beats whites in Philadelphia
"Beat Whitey Night": Gang of Black kids yell "It's beat whitey night" at Iowa State Fair.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM

I think that's completely wrong Allen..there are like 50 million blacks across the country..and you are taking a handful of exceptions and painting a very broad picture.

I would say all those links are the great exception, and not the rule. It is very clear that blacks overwhelmingly target eachother...other groups are a very small minority in comparison.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Back in the old days when someone moved west of the Concourse it was considered as a step up on the QOL ladder. I still have that mentality left. Not to say that there aren't grimey tenement areas there but IMO east of the Concourse is still in these days worse.
LOL that was years ago dude. To me east and west concourse is just equally as bad as the areas of the south. Still welfare people, massive section8 abusers in West Bronx especially on concourse above 167 street. I know an Albanian guy who is super on concourse and tremont and majority of the tenants recieve section8 and everyone sells drugs in the lobby with tenants blasting Merengue and Bachata. As for south Bronx like Mott Haven and Morrisania its full of housing projects yes with pissy elevators and other quality of life issues. Its gonna take time for much of the South Bronx, it doesnt matter if its University Heights or Mott Haven or Hunts Point, its gonna take a while to get back on its shoulder. Some parts of the south Bronx does better and gets good press like Melrose and Yankee Stadium area while others like Morrisania and Hunts Point gets negative attention. Sad thing is that Bronx looses alot good people that dont stick around to be role models for the up coming generation. The up coming generation gets lost in ghetto consumerism such as NFL Madden games and Jordan Sneakers, chicken wings and french fries from Chinese Restuarants, it only gets worse when they get older and more worse if your a black American. Not even hip hop artists and Basketball players wanna help out people in the hood like that anymore. You have single parent households and with no men around who cant set an example for both male and female kids. Younge men drop out of high school because thats cool, black teens getting abortions being experiments for the eugenics system and hispanic women getting knocked up in high school and also forced to drop out. Me and my Brother we're just a penny in a dozen in Mott Haven good kids who went to college and stayed out of trouble and never got locked up.

Also one thing I hate about Mott Haven and most of the South Bronx and Bronx in general and NYC is the sheer number of single parent homes. These single mothers with kids from two diffferent men on average, one single mother stay out home playing wii and collects welfare and food stamps while the other single mother works 9 to 5 but actually gets out of work at 7pm while her kids play on the street after school, goes home and checks her mailbox looking for child support checks from the previous baby daddy.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
No take-out deliveryman comes to my door - I always have to go downstairs...and I live in a gated community with security on the premises! But my neighborhood sucks, so I get it. I can live with going down to the lobby in a robe and slippers to get my food.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 PM

People walk around with curlers in their hair and pajamas, and many can barely keep their pants above their thighs, so robe and slippers in the lobby is no big deal.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:10 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
It really depends. The crime rate is higher east of the Concourse but you can really chalk that up to there being

a) More housing projects, as a result more poverty.
b) Higher African American and Puerto Rican population, who have the highest incarceration rates of any group in the city.

But I doubt you would be saying that east of Concourse is worse if you were walking through W 183rd and Grand or W Burnside and Loring PL. You make it seem like all of E. Tremont is a warzone, which is false. Trust me, I know E. Tremont and W. Farms very well. My ex lives on E. 180th and Hughes, which is a horrible block, and my best friend lives on E. 182nd and Daly, which is a little calmer but the area is shot, especially by Lambert Projects. All I am saying is that both sides have their hot spots. It just so happens that the demographics east of the Concourse allow it to have a higher crime rate.

This year for example the 46th and 44th precicnts (which are mostly west of Concourse w/ some blocks east) combined for 32 homicides...the 48th and 42nd are at about 18 or so.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It really depends. The crime rate is higher east of the Concourse but you can really chalk that up to there being

a) More housing projects, as a result more poverty.
b) Higher African American and Puerto Rican population, who have the highest incarceration rates of any group in the city.

But I doubt you would be saying that east of Concourse is worse if you were walking through W 183rd and Grand or W Burnside and Loring PL. You make it seem like all of E. Tremont is a warzone, which is false. Trust me, I know E. Tremont and W. Farms very well. My ex lives on E. 180th and Hughes, which is a horrible block, and my best friend lives on E. 182nd and Daly, which is a little calmer but the area is shot, especially by Lambert Projects. All I am saying is that both sides have their hot spots. It just so happens that the demographics east of the Concourse allow it to have a higher crime rate.

This year for example the 46th and 44th precicnts (which are mostly west of Concourse w/ some blocks east) combined for 32 homicides...the 48th and 42nd are at about 18 or so.
Rikers has mostly black incarceration and thats a fact you can see it on census data. Hispanics make up nearly more then a quarter or a third of rikers population and the rest is whites and sprinkles of asians. From what Ive been told by those who stayed at Rikers Island that the biggest gang population is the Bloods which is mostly AA and the Trinitarios which is Dominican. So I would assume that after Blacks taht Dominicans are the second largest populace on RIkers but I could be wrong. I know two cops who used to work the beat out of the 44th precinct and if they wanna arrest somebody bust just stop and frisk Dominican and book em for position of narcotics, Blacks have the guns thouogh just like thier Redneck brothers in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City