Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:42 PM

314 posts, read 492,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Furthermore, I'm a teacher in the NYC public schools and -- trust me -- I wouldn't want MY kid going to school here.
i've contested this issue time and again. i used to teach in an nyc public school, too, Title I in queensbridge. i will be proud to have my kids attend nyc public schools. unless you teach at far rock, boys and girls, or in the south bronx, i doubt that you've seen something i haven't. the schools here are tough, but the education offered is superior to most places in the u.s. and better than any urban area i ever heard of. if your kid isn't a little sh*t, (s)he's going to be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i've contested this issue time and again. i used to teach in an nyc public school, too, Title I in queensbridge. i will be proud to have my kids attend nyc public schools. unless you teach at far rock, boys and girls, or in the south bronx, i doubt that you've seen something i haven't. the schools here are tough, but the education offered is superior to most places in the u.s. and better than any urban area i ever heard of. if your kid isn't a little sh*t, (s)he's going to be ok.
Sorry, but I beg to disagree. With an average 50% graduation rate, NYC schools have a long way to go.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-25-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,909 times
I don't know why your encouranging her to move here. You know damn well NYC is too expensive to be a poor single parent and save enough to make it out of poverty. All that will end up happening is NYS will add another welfare case to it's already extremely overburened load, and as a result, yet another hard-working, taxpaying resident fed up with the bull**** will leave the city and we take one small step back towards the dark days of the 1970s.

As much as an ******* I may be for saying this, People like the OP are the last thing we need moving to this city. And to be honest, NYC is the last place she needs to be looking to make a better life for her children. Her BA degree would get her much farther in Kansas City or Phoenix than her, plus housing is cheaper and she can save money so she can provide the life she and her kids deserve. (BTW, Los Angeles is another ****ty choice)

To the OP, NYC nor LA are extremely horrible places to be poor. If you're truly desiring to better yourself, go someplace where your degree and job prospects can help you earn a living without WIC checks. If your simply looking for a Blue state to get your welfare fix, then go to San Fransico and chill with the other losers

Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 AM

203 posts, read 852,731 times
Catorce19....

Working, single mothers pretty much get shouted down on this forum....like we're a bunch of loser parasites draining society. I'm a single (widowed), working mother (professional) and I've been on my own for several years supporting myself and my son. There are many programs out there that don't include Section 8 housing that can help...usually dependent on income though.

I haven't used WIC myself but have known other mothers who have. I don't think the income guidelines are as strict for WIC as they would be for some other programs, especially as a single mother with two young children. Definitely look into it. I know that you don't have to be a welfare recipient to qualify for WIC.

I don't know much about your situation, but if you do some digging you should be able to find programs that can help with childcare, etc.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 12,892 times
yes i seem to be getting a lot of opinions rather than answers. there are many cities that offer programs like child care subsidies and free health care for children. do these types of programs exist? also could anyone give me an idea of their monthly living expenses?

ps thank you wanderlost

Old 08-26-2007, 12:38 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catorce19 View Post
there are many cities that offer programs like child care subsidies and free health care for children. do these types of programs exist? also could anyone give me an idea of their monthly living expenses?
3 links were specifically provided for you. Did you bother to click them for more info? The WIC and Temp. Assistance links are provided, which those themselves have other links to other assistance websites. Also a link to a cost of living calculator was provided to you.

Here they are again, just in case you don't want to or can't find them for whatever reason:

WIC Program - Women, Infants, Children; New York State Department of Health

NYS OTDA Temporary Assistance (broken link)

Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney

Old 08-26-2007, 01:05 PM

203 posts, read 852,731 times
There's also a program called Child Health Plus, offered through the State Health Dept, which provides free or reduced health insurance for kids.

You might also check into Head Start programs for reduced cost child care.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:06 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
I would have to disagree straitshooter.

Although many schools in NYC may offer an education equal to or better then other parts of the country (my schools didn't, but I went to school in a **** area), it is very difficult to succeed in these schools. This is becuase too many students do not want to learn and find a way to drag down those that do. No matter how good a parent you are. Be it fighting or cutting school, kids can be cruel and make things very difficult. Distractions.

I would not recommend this women to move into NYC. 19 year old Latina is my guess going by the username. 2 kids, ONE BEDROOM...STUDIO! WIC, Section 8, affordable housing... A disaster in the making. Save your kids lives now and avoid NYC.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,964 times
As a single mom living in Brooklyn, I can tell you that it is expensive. I have one child and my salary is above the median income for my neighborhood. I would only suggest to you that if you do decide to live in NY that you have a concrete plan for you and your children. I am sure that where you are from that you know all programs and subsidies have federal guidelines and you would have almost deplete your savings before you are eligible. It is not totally impossible to do just have all your ducks lined up. Check out nyc.gov they have listings of affordable housing that you can apply for in all areas of NYC. Once you narrow down your neighborhood then you can investigate into daycare and other things, Good Luck

Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Catorce19....

Working, single mothers pretty much get shouted down on this forum....like we're a bunch of loser parasites draining society. I'm a single (widowed), working mother (professional) and I've been on my own for several years supporting myself and my son. There are many programs out there that don't include Section 8 housing that can help...usually dependent on income though.

I haven't used WIC myself but have known other mothers who have. I don't think the income guidelines are as strict for WIC as they would be for some other programs, especially as a single mother with two young children. Definitely look into it. I know that you don't have to be a welfare recipient to qualify for WIC.

I don't know much about your situation, but if you do some digging you should be able to find programs that can help with childcare, etc.

First off, I am the product of a single mother. She was an amazing person. but it's hard. I'm simply telling the OP how it is.

PS: Finanically stable and capable people don't use WIC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City