Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 PM

206 posts, read 483,553 times

Advertisements

Thinking about a NYC Christmas vacation. Prices seem to be going up for flights and hotels seem especially high. Is it reasonable to fly and stay outside of NYC and commute daily via train / subway to enjoy what the city has to offer w/o having to pay so much to do so. Sorry just starting to research now so any help would be appreciated. Visit is with 3 adults and 1 (6 year old), and we'd like to do all the standard NY tourist spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I suggest you stay in Long Island City, Queens. It is just across the East River from Manhattan and a short subway ride to Midtown Manhattan. (See Long Island City Hotels - Discount Hotels in Long Island City NY New York)

Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
get yourself a 7-day/14-day unlimited metro card for each person..the 6year old i'm not sure if he'd need one, you may wanna check the MTA website. it will be 30 for 7 days or 50 for 14(i think), that way you can move about the city without worrying about running out of money on the card..the subway will take you all the way from brooklyn all the way to the bronx ..it is initially difficult to learn to ride but if you have googlemaps app on your iphone/blackberry it will be a piece of cake

Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
get yourself a 7-day/14-day unlimited metro card for each person..the 6year old i'm not sure if he'd need one, you may wanna check the MTA website. it will be 30 for 7 days or 50 for 14(i think), that way you can move about the city without worrying about running out of money on the card..the subway will take you all the way from brooklyn all the way to the bronx ..it is initially difficult to learn to ride but if you have googlemaps app on your iphone/blackberry it will be a piece of cake
One can pick up a subway map at any token booth in the subway system.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
From Thanksgiving to New Year, NYC is in high season for tourists, hence the higher prices. In addition to Queens, you could also stay in Westchester County, and New Jersey. I would also check the usual places like Priceline, Hotwire, etc. to see if you can find any discount off the room rate, though for Manhattan, it's not as likely during peak winter season, but can work in the suburban markets.

There's a Doubletree in Fort Lee that has a shuttle service to connect with the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal, where you can get on the NYC subway. Part of the decision would also be ease of getting to the hotel from the airport, so if you know which airport you would be using, it can make for an easier selection. For LGA and JFK, Queens and Long Island are closer. For HPN, White Plains and Tarrytown are closer. For EWR, suburban NJ is closer. NJ along the PATH train also offers easy access to Manhattan, without having to drive.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 AM

91 posts, read 214,731 times
Check out Super 8 in Brooklyn. About a block from D/N/R trains at Union St. You can get to Midtown (Times Sq., Rock Ctr, NY Library, etc) Central Park, Downtown (WTC site, ferries) Chinatown, Coney Island from that station without having to transfer.
Photos and Videos of Super 8 Brooklyn / Park Slope Hotel | Hotels in Brooklyn, *NY *11215

Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I suggest you stay in Long Island City, Queens. It is just across the East River from Manhattan and a short subway ride to Midtown Manhattan. (See Long Island City Hotels - Discount Hotels in Long Island City NY New York)
This is the best suggestion. Staying anywhere else like New Jersey or Westchester will be a major inconvenience. Getting into Manhattan from Long Island City is super easy.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One can pick up a subway map at any token booth in the subway system.
this is true.. i still keep a mini map in my keychain pouch just incase

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
There a couple very nice new hotels at Newport, Jersey City that sit atop the PATH train...10 minutes in and out of Manhattan at several locations.
Double Tree- Weston- Marriott Courtyard. They are a huge bargain compared to NYC.
There's the HYATT at Exchange Place sticking into the River...lovely but the priciest of the bunch.

Cheaper yet is THE HOLLAND HOTEL, right at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. Not of the same quality as the others and a 10 minute walk to the PATH train but it is under $100 ($85 last time I checked) and has free parking for guests...and then a 2 minute drive through the tunnel if you have a car. I think you get a Continental breakfast.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
There a couple very nice new hotels at Newport, Jersey City that sit atop the PATH train...10 minutes in and out of Manhattan at several locations.
Double Tree- Weston- Marriott Courtyard. They are a huge bargain compared to NYC.
There's the HYATT at Exchange Place sticking into the River...lovely but the priciest of the bunch.

Cheaper yet is THE HOLLAND HOTEL, right at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. Not of the same quality as the others and a 10 minute walk to the PATH train but it is under $100 ($85 last time I checked) and has free parking for guests...and then a 2 minute drive through the tunnel if you have a car. I think you get a Continental breakfast.
to add... marriott courtyard has a PATH as soon as you step outside of the buliding at the NEWPORT stop..and its about 15mins to manhattan (at the christopher stop)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City