Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

I lived on the 4th floor of a walkup for several years in my 20's. Didn't bother me; in fact, I was in the best shape of my life then!! Plus, it let me live in a nicer neighborhood (UES) that I would have been priced out of if I had limited myself to elevator buildings or lower floors. A worth trade-off, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
But someone commented that many delivery people refuse to come all the way up to the sixth floor.

If it's renting, and if it's short term, and if it's cheap, it is conceivable that there is a merit in renting a unit on the sixth floor.

But why would anyone buy a unit on the sixth floor?

I know a rental building recently became a condo in Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn (Cobble Hill Tower). While it is a beautiful building, why would anyone *buy* a unit on the sixth floor? I wouldn't.

But someone may. Why? Please enlighten me.
Yeah some delivery peeps refuse to come up the stairs, then the correct thing to do is refuse the delivery because that gets them in trouble, and they begrudgingly climb the stairs after that. But I'd tip a buck per floor ($6) to make it worth their while and because I have a heart. I had one dip**** pizza delivery boy claim that my door buzzer was broken, too bad for him we weren't a bunch of tourists who'd fall for that kind of crap. My husband angrily threatened over the intercom that he'd come down there, have me test the buzzer and if it worked he'd kick the delivery boy's ass AND refuse delivery (I had a tough time not laughing during the exchange). Then the delivery guy says "Oh wow look at that, the buzzer works now!". What irked us about that twit in particular was that we ordered online and pre-tipped the delivery boy $7.

If you're getting appliances delivered the only company that guarantees delivery to your apartment door (for a fee of course) is PC Richard. All the other places refused to give us a straight answer on a delivery guarantee.

Fresh Direct always delivered to me even though I was on the 6th floor, but again we tip REALLY well (we give them $10 because of all the boxes they have to haul) and the delivery guys actually remembered our names and were super nice...

I guess what I'm saying is when it comes to getting things delivered to the 5th or 6th floor: money talks.

Some people like the top floor because they don't want to hear their upstairs neighbors walking around. Some like being high up for the view. Some like the roof access (if it is available). But I'd say that's more for the renter, and to own it's a different story and a much harder sell.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
But someone commented that many delivery people refuse to come all the way up to the sixth floor.

If it's renting, and if it's short term, and if it's cheap, it is conceivable that there is a merit in renting a unit on the sixth floor.

I know a rental building recently became a condo in Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn (Cobble Hill Tower). While it is a beautiful building, why would anyone *buy* a unit on the sixth floor? I wouldn't.

Only because the price was so low it was irresistable...

I once dated someone 6 flights up but with an elevator that shut down at midnight (super drove the elevator.) A couple trips home half blotzed and exhausted at 3 AM had me virtually crawling up the last two flights on all fours...and that was when I was YOUNG.
I'd have to sleep on the sidewalk today.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:25 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFox14 View Post
You don't have to scale the building, just climb stairs. So unless you're crippled, or old and infirm, laziness would be the only reason to not take the place.

Climbing 6 flights of stairs is fine when you're not lugging groceries, especially fluids like milk, juice that weigh the most.

I lived in a walk up on the 6th floor and I ate out a lot. I was in my 20s and in great shape, but still didn't feel like carrying a bag of groceries up 6 flights of stairs every night to cook my dinner.

Knees, ankles, and hips wear out quick as one gets older, and multiple stairs speed up the breakdown.

Climbing stairs beyond the 2nd floor is hard to do after work when you're tired and just want to relax. No wait, you still have to climb 6 flights of stairs to get there. Worst is when you're dying to go to the bathroom. It just makes home not feel like home. Feels more like work. You're never looking forward to going home.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,060 times
i thought 5th floor was the max for a walk up.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,171 times
My friend used to live in this old building on Mott St on the 5th floor. The stairs there were steep and each stair was so narrow that my entire foot was either the length of my foot or maybe an inch or so smaller. I would hold on to dear life every time I went there! I went to someone else's apt with friends who lived on 42nd and 5th I think, 5th floor walkup but to get to the first floor from when you entered the door there were 25 steps. It was nuts!

I lived on the 3rd floor in Hells Kitchen. It the staircase was only a few steps at a time before they turned so it want too bad.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:17 AM

168 posts, read 349,262 times
I once lived in a 6th floor walkup. Lugging shopping and laundry is a pain. It often takes several trips. And you do feel obliged to walk downstairs to get your packages and food deliveries instead of making them walk up. I was only 30, but it still got old pretty fast.

Last time I lived in a walkup, it was the 3rd floor. It wasn't particularly fun (as a single female who lives alone, I often had to carry large items like furniture upstairs by myself), but I'd do it again for the right place.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:

Maybe they had a nightmare experience with tenants above.I know a few people who have and consequently will never rent or buy an apartment that isn't on the top floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City