Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM

9 posts, read 10,960 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for taking the time to write your knowledgeable opinions to help with my son's move to NYC. So, looks like we need to look in Astoria, Staten Island and possibly Jersey City and Hoboken with a budget of $1000/mo. You all have been so very, very helpful and I truly appreciate your input. Thank you, Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 PM

27 posts, read 75,394 times
Hoboken is best, I feel. Good enough night life so he won't feel isolated plus amazing transport options into the city or around Hoboken. ($5 cab anywhere in hoboken, tons of buses to NYC, 24 hour path access and 2 ferries, one at either end) plus you can work it out to be cheaper than Manhattan without worrying about which neighborhood to choose.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:18 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
In Staten Island, he doesn't necessarily have to take a bus to the ferry. He could take an express bus. A weekly pass is $50 and is also valid on the subway. The extra $100 per month that he's spending on the express bus rather than the subway will be made up for in the rent.
That's true, though the express bus can get stuck in more traffic at peak hours than taking the subway, but when dealing with SI, it's not close to an Intra-Manhattan commute. Plus, there are Lower Manhattan stops, which facilitates travel in Manhattan and a way to avoid some of the worst traffic.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-24-2011, 02:00 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times
Your son has already moved, but if it is temporary (I admit I didn't read the whole thread) check out the Stephanie Diamond list (google it)...it is a once a week list serv group that especially caters to artists for rooms for rent, roommates, art studios, apartments for rent, all of those also for sublet, as well as people advertising these same things (without a broker). $500 will get you nowhere, however $1400 is not necessary. My husband and I subletted a 3 story, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, full kitchen with dining room table, 2 living room home with a washer and dryer and shared fenced in yard, fully furnished for 8 1/2 months for $1800/month including all utilities and wifi. This is NYC. *ANYTHING* is possible. Craigslist is good too, just buyer beware, there are some scams on there. Not hard to spot actually, just be savvy. Good luck! Your son will love it here! (btw, I now live in an ENORMOUS 1 bedroom for $1500 in Astoria....the apartment I lived in mentioned above was in Williamsburg, just one stop from Manhattan/Union Square). Oh, and now I live in Astoria. Also I will mention with the Stephanie Diamond list, you can advertise what you are looking for on there. That is actually how we found the original Williamsburg place. That place was a HOUSE, between Bedford and Grand...couldn't be a better locatoin, and it was 2 of us and our cats for $1800 total including everything. And she contacted us (never advertised anywhere) from the list. Like I said, this is NYC. Anything is possible.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That's true, though the express bus can get stuck in more traffic at peak hours than taking the subway, but when dealing with SI, it's not close to an Intra-Manhattan commute. Plus, there are Lower Manhattan stops, which facilitates travel in Manhattan and a way to avoid some of the worst traffic.
Actually, I'm on a forum that discusses transit as well. There was somebody who talked about taking an express bus from Yorkville (near the UES) to Lower Manhattan and it took 40 minutes. Then somebody else mentioned how there are a decent number of sections of SI that are 40 minutes from Lower Manhattan, despite being further away (of course, this is assuming relatively little traffic).

The advantage is that even if the commute is longer, it's relatively pleasant. You just sit back in a comfortable seat, and the ride is fairly quiet so you budget some extra time and enjoy the ride.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Oh definitely, I would take the express bus over the subway at all costs.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 AM

9 posts, read 10,960 times
I just wanted to give an update on my son. We used a room broker at NY Habitat. It was a costly deal, but we really felt like we had no choice since we live in Oklahoma. I checked out Craigs List, but since I was unable to visit the apartments listed, I chose to go the room broker route. He is renting a room in Stuytown, in the East Village for $1400/mo (he has access to the kitchen & bathroom). We signed a 6 month contract because you never know if you can live with that particular room mate. He is able to walk to school - only about a 15 min. walk and he has access to the crosstown busline. If he wants to find someone at school to room with after 6 months, he has the option to do so. I like the idea of checking out the above suggested "Stephanie Diamond list" and will use them if he decides to move on after his 6 months is up. Thank you to everyone who took the time to write and help us make a decision. I feel very good about where he is now and the apprehension that I previously felt is gone. NYC is an awesome place to live - I wish my husband and I could move there.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaJoLe1212 View Post
I just wanted to give an update on my son. We used a room broker at NY Habitat. It was a costly deal, but we really felt like we had no choice since we live in Oklahoma. I checked out Craigs List, but since I was unable to visit the apartments listed, I chose to go the room broker route. He is renting a room in Stuytown, in the East Village for $1400/mo (he has access to the kitchen & bathroom). We signed a 6 month contract because you never know if you can live with that particular room mate. He is able to walk to school - only about a 15 min. walk and he has access to the crosstown busline. If he wants to find someone at school to room with after 6 months, he has the option to do so. I like the idea of checking out the above suggested "Stephanie Diamond list" and will use them if he decides to move on after his 6 months is up. Thank you to everyone who took the time to write and help us make a decision. I feel very good about where he is now and the apprehension that I previously felt is gone. NYC is an awesome place to live - I wish my husband and I could move there.
Great! I can see how hard it would be looking at places from such a distance. I hope your son has a wonderful experience.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
So glad that you are happy with the arrangements. Now that he is living here, it will be easier for him to look for other arrangements if this one doesn't work out. Good luck to him!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:50 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Good luck and I am looking forward to when you can post again and boast about his Broadway debut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City