U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 10,541 times

Advertisements

My son is planning to move to the NYC area around the 15th of Nov. We are looking for a room for him to rent. We are also open to using a room broker since we live out of state and are unable to go look at each room that is available. Does anyone have any information or advice we can use? Thanks!! Katie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaJoLe1212 View Post
My son is planning to move to the NYC area around the 15th of Nov. We are looking for a room for him to rent. We are also open to using a room broker since we live out of state and are unable to go look at each room that is available. Does anyone have any information or advice we can use? Thanks!! Katie
You should search through Craigslist for rooms to rent. Does your son have a job here, or will he be attending school? His (your?) budget and his appetite for a commute will also factor into which neighborhoods are fitting. In what area will he be working / attending school?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,785,926 times
Quote:
How old is he? What will he be doing here? What is his comfort level when it comes to urban people? How much are you willing to spend a month?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 PM

13,789 posts, read 12,794,992 times
I'm not sure it's worth answering, since you apparently didn't return, but, assuming your son is over, say, 20, maybe you should let him come and do the work himself. What if you provided him with hotel money for a month, and let him launch himself?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 PM

4,940 posts, read 10,254,857 times
Why do you guys bother offering help with a query like this?
: smack::s mack:

Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 AM

My son will be attending an acting conservatory in the Union Sq. area, but since my husband and I are footing the bill, we don't know if this area would be best. We were thinking of maybe Brooklyn, but if there are any other safe and affordable areas, we are open to suggestions. He will turn 20 in December and is open to all cultures, although he is white and born here in America. I do appreciate your advice, StaggerLee22, please don't offer your advice as I see that this is not important to you. I am living in Oklahoma and am getting ready to send my first born son 1500 miles away, so I am a little apprehensive. I do appreciate everyone's help. Thank you.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM

I should mention that we are looking for an apartment share. He understands that he will have to have roomies. Looking at around $500/mo. if this is possible. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,210,919 times
Quote:
I should mention that we are looking for an apartment share. He understands that he will have to have roomies. Looking at around $500/mo. if this is possible. Thanks!
Does the acting school offer any resources? Perhaps he could room with a couple other students? To be completely honest, $500 doesn't get much of anything in NYC. Even with a roommate or 2. You should also factor in cost of transportation (~$100/mo for subway unlimited card), food (~$500 more or less per mo depending on his habits), utilities ($60-100 per month, split with roommates), and any other spending (clothes? entertainment in NY?).

Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,785,926 times
500 might get you a share room in the hood. You will need to increase the rent to 1000 to 1400 to live in a nice and safe area with roommates. Then you have to add food, transportation, utilities, etc. He will need 2000 to 2500 a month.

Does the acting school have dorms?? Why not just dorm?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,370,673 times
$1500 total for a 2BR/3BR share could be possible in further parts of Brooklyn or Queens. It's possible on Staten Island, but the commute is not as convenient as he would need to get to the ferry or bus to get to the subway to Union Square. Rather than limit to one borough or neighborhood, I would tend to recommend looking at many different areas, and selecting the best combination of apartment and neighborhood.

I would even look to New Jersey, as he can be PATH accessible to Manhattan, or could take the bus to the subway from other areas that are not PATH/light rail accessible, such as Fort Lee where he could take a bus to the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal and then the 1 train. Jersey City is another area that I would evaluate to see if there are any shares that would work for his needs.

I would also network with his program to see if there are any others in need of a roommate, and/or some resources they may have with respect to housing referrals.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>