Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 10,933 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My elementary aged children and I will be moving to NYC in the next couple of months. I have been looking at neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn--could someone comment on a safe neighborhood with above average public schools and relatively close subways? We are African-American and would prefer a diverse neighborhood or in the very least where my children will feel comfortable in school and not the only blacks in their class. (on the flipside we would love a neighborhood that isn't entirely African American as exposure to other races/cultures would be great) We were initially looking at Bay Ridge and Astoria but have come to find out those areas may not be the most 'comfortable' or welcoming for us.
I have been looking at apartments for rent in Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, and Sunset Park. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on these or other areas? In order of importance we would need:
1. Great public schools
2. Safety/low low crime stats
3. Affordable rent
4. Close to the subway

Nightlife, trendiness, bars, and 'hipsterness' are of absolutely nooo importance to us.
Thanks so much for any feedback or suggestions on any other neighborhoods (i.e. Bronx, Manhattan etc) we may not know about!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Traditionally the schools in District 26, which is far eastern Queens near the Nassau border are considered some of the best in the city. That's probably still true. Neighborhoods there include Bayside, Oakland Gardens, Fresh Meadows, Douglaston, Little Neck, Glen Oaks, Floral Park, Bellerose, Jamaica Estates, Jamaica Hills, Hillcrest and parts of both Hollis Hills and Holliswood.

IBut I'm not a Queens expert so I can't tell you about living in them, their racial diversity, the QOL, or housing costs. Maybe others here can give you a better feel for these Queens spots. But I do know that subway access in far eastern Queens is limited.

There are also some good elelmentary schools in District 15 in Brooklyn, but that I know is fairly high-cost area including Park Slope and Windsor Terrace and maybe parts of some other neighborhoods. There'd likely to be little issue with you living here on account of race and subway access is good from here to Manhattan.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
I've spent about 33 years in Woodside and Sunnyside and I've never really felt unsafe. My elderly parents still live there now and they still feel comfortable going for long walks around the neighborhood.

As far as transportation goes, the 7 is pretty convenient and quick although rush hour trains can get pretty crowded and weekend service disruptions are not unusual. Compared to Sunnyside, Jackson Heights will add a few more minutes to your commute (if you're heading into Manhattan), but you'll have extra options from the EFMR.

It's been a long time since I was in grade school and I don't remember the regular public schools being anything special. However, Jackson Heights and Sunnyside are in District 30, which would make your children eligible for the Academy at PS 122 in Astoria. Students have to test in, but it's one of the true gems in the public school system and has been a feeder to the specialized high schools for as long as I can remember.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
I highly recommend Bayside in Queens. Very safe, clean, predominately middle class area with plenty to do and great schools. Also Fresh Meadows too, very racially diverse area, and safe.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:07 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
If best public education school is what you are looking for then, do consider moving out of NYC and to suburbs in Long Island or NJ.

Except for few, most in NYC are sub-par and if you don't mind the commute...your children will receive better education there.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I highly recommend Bayside in Queens. Very safe, clean, predominately middle class area with plenty to do and great schools. Also Fresh Meadows too, very racially diverse area, and safe.
He wants an area near the subway, though.

I'd just like to point out that in addition to the regular local buses that feed the subway, there are express buses that go directly in Manhattan for $5.50 (or $50 for a weekly pass that also works on the subway/local buses).

They generally aren't too frequent outside of rush hour, but if you can live with having to plan around a schedule, they are a comfortable, easy way to reach Manhattan, so an area like Fresh Meadows would be opened up as an option.

Add Kew Gardens to the list as well (near the E/F lines)

Old 11-03-2011, 04:06 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

Add Kew Gardens to the list as well (near the E/F lines)
I too think Kew Gardens (in Queens) is a good suggestion.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 10,933 times
Cool!! Thanks so much for the input---this definitely helps!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
WHAT is "affordable" to you?

Without a specific number, no one can advise your properly and none of the above suggestions are valid.

I think you may be in for a bit of a reality check. Good Schools generally come at a premium housing cost. Add to that low crime and the cost goes up. Convenient transportation and, again, prices rise.

Generally, the cheaper the rent, the poorer the schools, the higher the crime, and, often, less convenience.

So the real question is not what neighborhoods have what you want, but rather, can you afford what you want?

Take some time, peruse the threads in this forum going back a ways, they'll give you some perspective upon the realities of NYC, which is VERY different than the midwest.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
I grew up in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and the only change it has gone through is to see a huge Egyptian community that goes from 86th Street to 65th Street, 5th Avenue to 3rd Avenue. Otherwise it has pretty much stagnated with little change!!!!

Sunset Park has a huge Hispanic population, many of who are Mexican illegals. This would run from 60th Street to around 36th Street, 2nd Avenue to 5th Avenue. Above 5th Avenue it is Chinese.

I think you would have more options opened to you in Queens. If I were to move back to New York, that would be the borough I would look at as I think it offers more diverse neighborhoods. I lived there for a few months some years ago and I liked the "feel" of Queens.

Last edited by softblueyz; 11-07-2011 at 04:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City