Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM

260 posts, read 433,538 times

Advertisements

I know that you can find a 2 bedroom apartment in Sheepshead Bay and Homecrest in Brooklyn for around 1200. Sheepshead Bay is very safe for the most part and is accessible by the Q and B trains. There are plenty of pre-war rentals that have cheap apartments but they are rarely listed online. You would have to inquire with the superintendents of the buildings to find out about availability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Plenty of places in the metropolitan area you could find two bedrooms for less than $2000. You just have to take a higher risk of being robbed, assaulted, or murdered. For instance, you can get a two bedroom in scenic East Orange for $1350, in a luxury (*cough*) high-rise building within walking distance of the Midtown Direct. A little cheaper ($1150) nearby in a smaller building. And if dodging bullets and breaking heads is your thing, there's apartments in Irvington, NJ (only #2 for crime in NJ, but Camden isn't in the area) for $1000 for a 2 bedroom.

Incredible nybbler, you read my mind.

I was REALLY going to mention both Irvington and East Orange but then I thought I shouldn't do that to another fellow human being.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Plenty of places in the metropolitan area you could find two bedrooms for less than $2000. You just have to take a higher risk of being robbed, assaulted, or murdered.........
Most ridiculous generalization yet.

There are plenty of neighborhoods,even in NYC,where you can find 2 br apartments for under 2,000/mo that are far safer than any neighborhood you might think is safe because the rents are absurdly high.Ever heard of Riverdale in The Bronx or Douglaston,Queens ? Both neighborhoods have lower crime rates than any neighborhood in Manhattan and it would be quite easy to find a 2 br apartment in either for 2,000/mo. These are just 2 glaring examples and there are plenty of others, both in NYC and in surrounding communities.

Finding a 2 br apt at the OP's stated price of 1075/mo is a challenge but finding one at $2,000/mo is not.

How did we get from 1,075/mo to 2,000/mo anyway ?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
This is a little over your price range, but this is Morris Heights!

Apartments For Rent In NYC | New York City Apartments For Rent | Apartments In Manhattan | Apartment Rentals NYC | Rent Apartment In New York City

Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,552 times
A quick check on craigslist shows a few 2 bedroom apartments in Pelham Bay for 1250-1350. That's the lowest you'll get for a great neighborhood thats safe.

you could also try your luck with Rochdale Village, in Queens, if you have 10K to put down. It's an income based limited equity co-op (mitchell Lama: google/wiki it). Co-op City is also the same.

Rochdale is showing 2 Bedrooms for: $1,072.00- $1,129.18 with Terrace; $946.61- $ 1,073.00 without!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 PM

88 posts, read 263,530 times
You're leaving a lot of stuff out
1. Do you mind living in the ghetto?
2. Do you care how far away from the city you are?
3. Minimum sq ft? Kids?
4. Landlord wants sec deposit, background check, app fee, paystubs and bank accounts-are you prepared for this?
5. Do you have $$ in case you lose your job/cant make the rent?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I have a friend who just rented a 2 bedroom apt in Mott Haven for $1,150, around 148th and Austin Place, which is the extreme Northeastern corner of Mott Haven and mostly industrial, a couple blocks from the beginning of the Bruckner Expressway.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 PM

125 posts, read 333,535 times
Union City, West New York, North Bergen, and Jersey City Heights could work. There's a lot of options in that general area. They're just heavily Hispanic. There not all that dangerous though.

Other than that you're only left with the ghettos of the tri-state.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
When I first moved out of my parents' house I had a 2 bedroom for 1050. But it was a shoebox and there were 3 shootings across the street from my apartment in the 6 months I lived there.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 PM

28 posts, read 82,018 times
Default St. George, New Brighton, Tompkinsville, Stapleton

Never heard of these neighborhoods? Not surprising. Those who've lived on Staten Island awhile, as I and my family have, are used to talking to people who've driven through Staten Island on the Expressway, or who've ridden the Staten Island Ferry and turned right around and returned to Manhattan. And then there are the even greater numbers who say blankly, "Never been there."

Staten Island is often disparaged as remote, provincial, small-minded, even racist. Parts of our fair isle are some or all of those things, as are other residential pockets in this city. But Staten Island is many other things as well, including affordable. It is in general cleaner, greener, quieter and safer than the other boroughs, most of which can be attributed to the island's markedly smaller population.

The neighborhoods mentioned in the subject line of this post are all quite near the Staten Island Ferry to and from Manhattan. They are older, very diverse racially and ethnically, and loaded with low-scale housing built, for the most part, before World War I.

There are slummy parts where at least some crime is part of the equation, and solidly middle-class and even wealthy parts. But, in general, your housing dollar buys more here than anywhere else in New York (except, possibly, the Bronx), and these neighborhoods are definitely on the upswing. The beautiful 1875 Second Empire Victorian house across the street from ours was a crack house for years before the current owners restored it to its former glory.

I write this as the landlord of a small Victorian (and landmarked) rental property. Every one of my tenants (two have been here six years; one, three years; and one just moved in two months ago) came to Staten Island for the same reason we did: they could get more housing, in better condition, for fewer dollars. Though they rent and we own, the motivation for coming here was the same.

FYI, the ferry runs 24/7/365, though service after 1 a.m. on weekdays is hourly rather than half-hourly. During rush hours, the boats arrive every 15 or 20 minutes. The ferry is a great (and FREE!) way to travel, but if you work and/or party in Manhattan or other boroughs and use public transit, as we do, the ferry schedule does tend to rule your life. For us, the tradeoff has been worth it; if you're single and do a lot of Manhattan clubbing, that could get to be a problem, though many people seem to have no problem doing it.

In my own neighborhood (St. George), large apartments in older restored or renovated 19th-century houses tend to be more expensive than those in apartment buildings. In general, St. George is a little more expensive than the other neighborhoods mentioned in the subject line because it's right on top of the ferry. In some parts of the other neighborhoods, you may want to take an MTA bus (use your MetroCard), but the ride is short.

Look on Craigslist for the neighborhoods mentioned above. The neighborhoods of West Brighton and Port Richmond are also reasonably priced and better situated for shopping, but you may find you need a car. In St. George, a car is a convenience but not a necessity.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City