Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM
TGM TGM started this thread

100 posts, read 592,934 times

Advertisements

My family planned to visit NYC in the last several months, but canceled our plans Due to the Occupy Wall Street protests.

We are beginning a one year tour across America, starting in Florida in January. The original plan was to work our way up the east coast and spend at least a week in NYC, but now I am worried about the protests. We have three girls, ages 6, 7, 10 and I want them to have a true picture of NYC and a "traditional" tourist experience if you know what I mean.

I don't want to get caught up in crime, protesting crowds, and not be able to goto certain areas because of the protests. We have been "waiting it out" hoping it would be over so we could plan our trip, but now it looks like we are going to avoid NYC.

My question: is it as bad there as the national news media makes it seem? If we want to have a great time in NYC with good family photos without protesters & signs in the background should we wait?

Please tell us what is REALLY going on up there.
(please no political answers or comments FOR or AGAINST the protests, just the FACTS)

Thanks,
The Marrs Family
Follow our one year tour of America at:
The Great Adventure Tour - Follow us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Why would you cancel your plans based on a relatively calm protest focused in on one very, very small block of the city? This isn't Oakland, you know. Is the fear-mongering on the news really that bad in other cities?

I assure you, as I'm sure the other 8.2 million New Yorkers would too, your trip will not be interrupted by the protestors at all. In fact, unless you make a specific field trip down to Zucotti Park, it is unlikely that you'll even see them at all.

Do you think those of us who live here are going to work/school/about our daily lives with mass protest surrounding us everywhere?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 AM

80 posts, read 308,354 times
I think that was completely ridiculous to cancel your travel plans based on OWS. I work a couple blocks away, and other than beating the drums, barely realize they are there. I know for businesses right near the park, they have become quite annoying though. In any event, there is no random violence or danger in visiting NYC due to the protests. They rarely leave Zucotti park, and when they do, the police are following along and ready to make arrests if needed.

So basically, you could have came to NYC and avoided a one block radius of the park (which, even that is overkill, just don't walk on the sidewalk in front of the park and you'll mostly avoid them) and had a great vacation. I hope you can rebook soon.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I would really not worry about it. They are mostly in a tight area of lower Manhattan that a "traditional tourist" wouldn't see unless you really wanted to see Wall Street, City Hall, & other government buildings. If you want to see Central Park, Rockefeller Center, St Patrick's, Macy's/ Bloomingdale's, the major museums, etc- you most likely won't see any protests.

I'd probably take my kids (if age 8 & older) by the protests (or at least not try to avoid them). It's a great "teachable moment" to show how lucky and blessed we are to live in the Land of the Free, where we are free to protest when we feel citizens are being wronged or the government isn't taking the right actions. Kids that age have a basic understanding of US History. It's a very visual reminder that we are so lucky to be in the US - rather than Iran or Syria or many other oppressed countries where protesting citizens are jailed or physically abused.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Unless you go to Zuccotti Park you will never know that anyone is protesting anything.
But perhaps your kids might benefit from seeing the little bit of Free Speech that is left in the country.
By the time they are adults it is likely it will no longer exist except to corporations....they can tell your gradchildren about the demonstaration they saw so many years ago.

God knows, the reality of Zuccotti park has GOT to be more interesting than the Disneyland fantasy of Times Square with its Madame Toussaud's and the Broadway marquee'd McDONALD's. Or the well-organized hushed reverence ot the WTC...now a tourist mecca like Dorney Park.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Is the fear-mongering on the news really that bad in other cities?
Yes, it is. Everyday on the news here they show the mass of tents and signs. The show fights and yelling with bull horns, and marches through the city. They show crowds taking over banks and businesses, and bloody people that were mobbed or trampled.

That is what the rest of America thinks is going on there... But I know news media doesn't always tell the full story or give the "big picture" - so that's why I asked. Would we be able to visit Wall Street? The NYSE building without seeing them?

The Marrs Family

Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
PS- if you're worried about "unsightly", "non-touristy" things clogging your photos, NYC may not be for you!! There's always something controversial going on in the city- a gay pride parade or gay marriage march, many different cultural events (some, like the Puerto Rican parade, are known for getting rowdy), various unions striking, people trying to save whales/ trees, people trying to get you to sign petitions, people protesting whatever the UN is up to, etc. It's all part of the NYC experience. NYC isn't Disney World, but it's still a magical place.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Yes, it is. Everyday on the news here they show the mass of tents and signs. The show fights and yelling with bull horns, and marches through the city. They show crowds taking over banks and businesses, and bloody people that were mobbed or trampled.
LOL... what? Are you sure that's in NYC, because I live less than a mile away from the protesters and that's all news to me... Like I said, Oakland and a few other cities are an entirely different story.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
You can safely see everything in lower Manhattan w/o worry -- the WTC memorial, the Stock Exchange, Statue of Liberty Wall Street, Federal Hall, Fraunces Tavern, South St Seaport, Jewish museum, Indian museum, with no problem or fear. Media reports of horror are wildly overstated. It's 99.9% calm. So come on. And I agree with other posters who say that it's. Great teachable moment in Democracy for your kids.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I'd probably take my kids (if age 8 & older) by the protests (or at least not try to avoid them). It's a great "teachable moment" to show how lucky and blessed we are to live in the Land of the Free, where we are free to protest when we feel citizens are being wronged or the government isn't taking the right actions. Kids that age have a basic understanding of US History. It's a very visual reminder that we are so lucky to be in the US - rather than Iran or Syria or many other oppressed countries where protesting citizens are jailed or physically abused.
I agree completely.

If the protests are peaceful and there is no risk to my family, we may visit them - but peace is not what the national and local media play over and over here.

I know several other families who have canceled NYC vacation plans, so we are not alone. I am glad to hear this is really a "non issue"

Thanks for all the comments, I feel much better about putting NYC back on the list, and we will look forward to our week there!

The Marrs Family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City