Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 04:48 AM

13 posts, read 14,457 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

been to NYC a couple of times now (I'm from Germany) and I'll be back in a week, this time alone and just for some photography as that's a huge hobby of mine.

As I just saw the pictures of Chinatown here, I wanted to share some of the stuff I shot in April as well. As I really like the feel of NYC, my biggest aim is to show that in my pictures.

Before I show some of them, I'd like to ask you for neighborhoods I should've a look on next week - in terms of diversity, special character and so on. Last time I was in Manhattan most of the time as I had my girl with me and had to show her some things most of the time, so I want to "discover" a little more of New York. I'm not all too frightened getting into a little more "shady" areas, but would be pleased if you won't send me to Brownsville

yeah, and some tourist-shots too..

I've got a little more on flickr, look for "insomnia09" if you like.

Thanks for your opinions and recommendations!

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM

458 posts, read 616,304 times
I like the last one the best. Actually, would it be at all possible for you to post a full-size wallpaper version?

I'd go to Zuccotti Park and check out Occupy Wall Street. You'll find lots of shots there. Maybe check their website and see if they're doing a march or anything during your visit. The rest of the Financial District is interesting too. Also try Central Park (of course), maybe Broadway in Soho, Times Square, Theater District... Basically wherever lots of people converge you'll find good street photography opportunities. It also hugely depends on the time of day. For instance, I walk Broadway in Soho regularly and find that the kinds of people walking there varies hugely, from a few local workers in the early morning to a massive influx of foreign tourists by nightfall.

I like your pictures a lot. I do street photography here as well from time to time, but my favorite kinds of shots are close-ups. I'll walk up to random people and take their picture really fast and be walking away before they even realized what happened Actually, about half the time they turn around and look behind them to see what I was taking a picture of since I never make eye-contact.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
heres a few of my favorites i took

Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnia09 View Post
Hey folks,

been to NYC a couple of times now (I'm from Germany) and I'll be back in a week, this time alone and just for some photography as that's a huge hobby of mine.

As I just saw the pictures of Chinatown here, I wanted to share some of the stuff I shot in April as well. As I really like the feel of NYC, my biggest aim is to show that in my pictures.

Before I show some of them, I'd like to ask you for neighborhoods I should've a look on next week - in terms of diversity, special character and so on. Last time I was in Manhattan most of the time as I had my girl with me and had to show her some things most of the time, so I want to "discover" a little more of New York. I'm not all too frightened getting into a little more "shady" areas, but would be pleased if you won't send me to Brownsville

yeah, and some tourist-shots too..

I've got a little more on flickr, look for "insomnia09" if you like.

Thanks for your opinions and recommendations!

Michael

The 4th picture is my favorite. I could easily see people 30 or50 years from now still identifying with it.

To be honest, I think pictures of NY's architecture/buildings is stale and boring.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:16 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
I disagree with wawaweewa about his second statement but I definitely love #4 as well... I actually really liked the shots you took of the city... It provided a sense of the city that most people nowadays tend to disregard... The focus nowadays is on all the sterile and hip places popping up all over the place but they rarely focus on what really goes on in the city outside of all of that and your pics seem to capture some of that... Will be looking forward to seeing more...

As for recommendations I'd steer clear of Manhattan since that part of the city is focused on to death... I'd look for more ethnic areas in Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx... Just make sure you know where your going and ignore those who try to send you to those clever little "transitional" areas that are still very much the hood...

Areas i'd check out (always make sure though to ask people for their pictures unless you're very good at hiding the fact that your doing so) In Queens, Ridgewood, Jackson Heights, Flushing, Woodhaven, Elmhurst, Richmond Hill, Ozone Park, Forest Hills... These areas are all busy diverse areas that still give you that old-school non generic vibe...

In Brooklyn check out Sheepshead Bay, Sunset Park, Kensington, Brighton Beach (not the greatest area but you should be fine in the daytime), Fort Greene, Clinton Hill (make sure you're not on the Bed-stuy border), Greenpoint, Downtown Brooklyn

Don't know too much about the Bronx but I'd check out areas near pelham bay and woodlawn...

Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

Don't know too much about the Bronx but I'd check out areas near pelham bay and woodlawn...
I always wanted to see pictures of Riverdale in the Bronx.

Anyway, Linden Boulevard, East New York Brooklyn-

Francis Lewis Boulevard, Fresh Meadows Queens-

Old 11-06-2011, 09:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
mathjak.... I love your pics but that third one with the guy in his underwear?? That pic skeeves me out to no end every time you post it!!!!!! He's not The Naked Cowboy (although those tourists with him probably think he is!). He hasn't got "body" and I wonder if he's bathed in the past few weeks. ICK!!! Can you PLEASE delete that pic from your collection???????

Old 11-07-2011, 01:50 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i cant delete that photo ,thats me. ha ha ha ha

actually i find most landscape shots of nyc just another me too like the millions before it as well. afterall how many shots of the empire state building can one look at .

what catches my eye both in our own work and the work of others is being unique. i like to be entertained.

most of our photos look nothing like the scene, they are more like how i want the scene to look in my mind. the idea is to make it interesting for both ourselves and others. i try not to have to much of a me to look and use a different style as much as i can both in the shot and the processing.

below use many different techniques in post processing to achieve the look and level of detail i want.

oakland lake queens

nyc public library

grand central

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-07-2011 at 02:24 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,065 times
nice shots ....keep focusing on Time Square ,china town and brooklyn heights...thanks alot for posting!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 AM

13 posts, read 14,457 times
Thanks, I already returned. Now I'm slowly looking through the resulsts, here's Chinatown:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City