Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
As it stands I belive that gun control in NYC is more a framework against a mass uprising/protest/riot than actually keeping gunplay down in the city.

I also believe this to be a true statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 AM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Hi,

I just wanted to know how long a NYC Gun Permit is valid for before you have to renew it?

And how much does it cost to renew it?
its 3 years and 340.00 dollars

Old 11-07-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I also believe this to be a true statement.
nah, the masses can get all the guns they want for an uprising and in fact already have the means. they dont need to pay for a permit.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nah, the masses can get all the guns they want for an uprising and in fact already have the means. they dont need to pay for a permit.
You'd be surprised how many people believe in "the law". No if's, and's, or but's. No matter whether the law is good or bad. Constitutional or unconstitutional.

Also, the rule of thumb for humans is; take the path of least resistance. lol
"Guns are a hassle to get in NYC? Ok, I won't get them."

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised how many people believe in "the law". No if's, and's, or but's. No matter whether the law is good or bad. Constitutional or unconstitutional.

Also, the rule of thumb for humans is; take the path of least resistance. lol
"Guns are a hassle to get in NYC? Ok, I won't get them."
And if we don't like local laws or rules we can always leave. "Vote with your feet".

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
And if we don't like local laws or rules we can always leave. "Vote with your feet".
Not really.

If the masses do not follow a law then it cannot be enforced. Simple as that. They do not need to leave.

The 'rule of law' is entirely dependent on either coercion or obedience. There's nothing intrinsic about laws.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
Quote:
Not really.

If the masses do not follow a law then it cannot be enforced. Simple as that.

The 'rule of law' is entirely dependent on either coercion or obedience. There's nothing intrinsic about laws.
That's not what I'm talking about, just pointing out that if people don't like the laws, there's nothing stopping them from moving to a place where the local laws are more to their liking. This is one of the many reasons I have for relocating in the next year.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM

103 posts, read 166,886 times
You're not getting a carry permit in NYC, HOWEVER, there may be a loophole where if you get caught carrying with a premises permit, it may be just a violation, not a crime. I haven't been able to find much info on this but the word is, that's no longer the case. Asking a lawyer is your best bet.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Get caught carrying and its now a crime in nyc since we switched to the residence permit.. The old target hunting permit was actually a restricted carry , that was restricted by your request.
you had to check a box on the application for a hunting target permit because if you didnt you got no permit as they werent giving you an open carry.
that was a permit mis-use if you got caught carrying...

They purposely switched to a residence permit because unless your going hunting with a valid hunting license or to an authorized nyc range your permit is not valid off premise . that was done to kill the loop hole in the old target hunting permit that was only an administrative violation and got your permit suspended. now they can prosecute.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-08-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 PM

103 posts, read 166,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
You're not getting a carry permit in NYC, HOWEVER, there may be a loophole where if you get caught carrying with a premises permit, it may be just a violation, not a crime. I haven't been able to find much info on this but the word is, that's no longer the case. Asking a lawyer is your best bet.

Right, and that's what I've heard. However, do a little digging and you won't find a case study. There is a state law I read about on a gun forum that basically states that you can't be prosecuted for carrying a gun if you own it legally. The problem with this is that no one wants to be a case study, of course.

Before I moved to another state, I did as much research as possible (short of going to a criminal attorney) but could never get a straight answer. My feeling is there IS a loophole but it's very hush-hush for obvious reasons.

Do we have any lawyers here? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City