Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,544,919 times

Advertisements

Would they be starting 5th and 9th grade next fall or entering mid-year? If they're really as smart as you believe them to be, you could try to see if they can test in to one of the G&T programs or specialized public high schools. If you're Catholic and have sons, Regis High School on the Upper East Side is another school with fantastic academics, great exmissions and no tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
I know kids who got into Horace Mann and Fieldston as older students new to the school, but the parents might have had connections. Don't know for sure, but I know those parents were part of the "in crowd." Both are very good schools.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
You should consider buying a house in New Jersey, Westchester or Long Island. You could find a deal with all the foreclosure houses.

If you want an apt, Upper West Side is a pretty safe area. Also, Upper East Side and also Hoboken and Exchange Place in NJ.

Trulia - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Sold Properties, Apartments for Rent
There has GOT to be some sort of reading deficiency disease strain running through this forum....

The woman just said she doesn't want the "boring suburbs", nor a "brutal commute". WHY the heck do you suggest what she doesn't want??

Also, she SPECIFICALLY wants advice on how to jump ahead of all 9 million NYers and get her kids into good schools. Soooo, what's the point of your response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Have you ever been to NYC?? What are the genders of the 10 and 13 year old? Also, do you want to send them to a private, public, co-ed or single sex school?
Did you not read the original post? Maybe read it again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefries View Post
Question: Is is impossible to get the kids into a private school, competing against people that have been on the wait list since they were embryos? Are there any slots for older kids to move in to gifted and talented testing schools ( assuming they are as smart as we think they are, ha ha) UWS: what streets are districted to the "best" public elementary/middle/high schools? thanks!

Anyway, OP you should review this documentary:
Nursery University

As long as you can and are willing to afford the tuition, extracurriculum and social costs, which can easily equal or exceed tuition, then finding a good private school isn't the issue. Finding a school with an open seat AND which will accept your children will be the major obstacle, as the documentary attests.

As far as "the best", well that can be differentiated in many ways and is relative to you and your values.

Generally, Manhattan private schools fall into one of three categories, liberal conservative, liberal and progressive. As someone suggested, presuming your children currently attend one of the better schools in Boston, I would ask the school to attempt some sort of arrangement with an equivalent Manhattan school of their choice. This might facilitate admission.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,336 times
Quote:
quote=jcoltrane;21623431]

Quote:
There has GOT to be some sort of reading deficiency disease strain running through this forum....
The woman just said she doesn't want the "boring suburbs", nor a "brutal commute". WHY the heck do you suggest what she doesn't want??
Also, she SPECIFICALLY wants advice on how to jump ahead of all 9 million NYers and get her kids into good schools. Soooo, what's the point of your response?
Oh god! The CD's internet tough guy. NJ, LI, & Westchester are not that long commute or boring suburbs. *******, it's called giving options. Not sure if this poster has tunnel vision for Manhattan only and it's not aware of other options.
Getting your kids into good schools = Money and connections + average to intelligent kid PERIOD. No point to post the ? here.
Quote:
Did you not read the original post? Maybe read it again:

I am suprised you, mr anti transplants/hipster/non-native nyers, is assisting this poster without spilling your hateful rant about transplants/hipster/non-native nyers folks moving to nyc.
Did you not read the original post? It was vague. The OP did not state how much they were willing to spend on rent, tuition, current living situation, etc. After i asked a series of ?s, they responded by saying, "Upper West side seems like family friendly, relatively green, and decent commute for my husband." Based of this, i suggested NJ, LI and Westchesters as other options.
Easy off the internet steroids, Jcoltrane!!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
The problem for the OP is that ANY good school in Manhattan is terribly competitive to get into, and the schools (and parents) on the Upper West Side are among the most education-conscious and competitive in the city, maybe even the country. The Upper West Side is a great place to raise a family, but getting them into good schools there will be a chore, especially moving in from out of town.

That said, the most sought after public elementary schools (K-5) in the area are PS87, PS199 and PS 163, along with The Center School (5-8) and PS 333 (K-8). Others there are also good, but don't quite have the same reputation locally among parents. But that doesn't mean much if it's a good match for your kid. Only you can tell that. Local high schools with a good rep are Beacon and Laguardia -- both notoriously difficult to get into (Laguardia is the arts school with mandatory audtion/portfolio) -- and one new HS I've heard good things about, Frank McCourt. But ALL public high school admissions in NYC are by application-- and schools have varying requirements from high scores on a single test, like Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, to "Do you have a pulse?" In Manhattan there are NO locally zoned high schools. By that time most kids will travel out the neighborhood to get to a good school elsewhere.

Start your research now. Inside schools InsideSchools.org: Your independent guide to NYC public schools gives a lot of good infomation on how to get started and what to do if you move into the city from out of town. Also look into the DOE website ** - Choices & Enrollment - New York City Department of Education which has a lot of facts and figure.

I'll leave it others to talk about the private schools.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 10,048 times
Default thank you!

Thank you CityLove101 for the very informative reply

I have been poking around on the DOE website, inside schools, and other forums like urban baby(yikes). I am half thinking I might avoid some of the super competitive schools, just so I don't have to deal with the super competitive parents! There are some nutters out there! Seems like I would have a number of options for my son going into 5th grade, but I am nervous about my daughter going into 9th. Anyone have any advice: She is a math/science nerd.
thanks again for your help!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
Best bet for the math/science kid might be to bone up now for the specialized high school test, which she can take next August, assuming your family has moved into the city by then. Aside from Stuy, Tech, and Bronx Science, consider the new specialized HS at CCNY which might be a bit less competitive to get into. I have no first hand experience with it though.

I also know kids at the Columbia Secondary School who say it's very good but a lot of homework. That school made headlines when a kid there drowned on field trip and the principal later left. But it seems to have gotten back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City