Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 02:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

does a store like Home Depot or discount stores sell something to keep an apartment window propped open like a piece of wood does, except something that also has an adjustment feature for window height? my apt window no longer has sufficient slack in it and no longer stays open at all . i use wood but sometimes i want to keep the window at a certain level

i have never considered asking the super to repair the window. can this be fixed?

chime in bmwdcny guy, chime in...!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
You need one of two thing: really old windows have a rope or chain attached to each half of the window to equalize the weight of the window...it stays where you put it.
If the rope breaks the window falls shut.

Newer windows have a metal spring thingy.

If you have the old type, repair is easy, take out one piece of wood and replace the rope. I've never tried repacing the springy.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
You should tell you landlord the issue and ask if they can fix it. If you "ruin" their window they will make you pay for it.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:57 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Yes, rule mumber 1. Don't ever do any reparations or renovations without consulting the landlord first.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:10 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The only product that I have head of that can do that is something called the Wind-O-Lock. It looks like a vertical charley bar, but requires that there be base plates attached to the window. I would ask your landlord to install one, since the window weights are not functional. Instead of keeping the window closed as the charley bar does, it allows you to prop the window open. I think that they are only available from the manufacturer.

Schaffhausen Inc.

Aside from that, you could make do with various sized wood dowels (thick dowels) that you could place in the window, but they would need a base so as to be more secure, and not prone to falling. Screen inserts are not usually in varied heights, but if you found one that was the right height, you could use that with the wood for a shorter height.

Perhaps ask the super about getting a Wind-O-Lock on the window in question. I doubt it would be too big of a deal if you purchased it and asked them to install it, because the plates are small and would not damage a window any more than placing a curtain rod on it could do.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
chances are the windows need new springs, it happens just tell the LL, he will send someone over to do it, it takes 10 minutes.
i have done a few of mine because I know how to do these things, the Ll will just do it for you.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
does a store like Home Depot or discount stores sell something to keep an apartment window propped open like a piece of wood does, except something that also has an adjustment feature for window height? my apt window no longer has sufficient slack in it and no longer stays open at all . i use wood but sometimes i want to keep the window at a certain level

i have never considered asking the super to repair the window. can this be fixed?

chime in bmwdcny guy, chime in...!!!

Why????? that is what the super is for.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
[quote=nightcrawler;21708478]Why????? that is what the super is for.[/quote

I figured I'd throw this in since we are talking about Supers...Whats the ettiquite with the Super and repairs. Do you pay them? Do you tip them? Both? Never had a Super fix anything for me. Don't want to insult him by not tipping, and don't want to set a precedent I cant get out of.

My windows in the new place all need new screens and 2 are frozen closed. Id like to get them fixed since I just moved in. Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks!

Also handle on toilet is broken, and toilet runs most of the time. I want him to fix this too. Again, is this "his job" or is he like a private contractor that gets paid on a per job basis.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post

I figured I'd throw this in since we are talking about Supers...Whats the ettiquite with the Super and repairs. Do you pay them? Do you tip them? Both? Never had a Super fix anything for me. Don't want to insult him by not tipping, and don't want to set a precedent I cant get out of.

My windows in the new place all need new screens and 2 are frozen closed. Id like to get them fixed since I just moved in. Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks!

Also handle on toilet is broken, and toilet runs most of the time. I want him to fix this too. Again, is this "his job" or is he like a private contractor that gets paid on a per job basis.
You do not pay them. The landlord pays the super a salary to maintain and upkeep the building. You need to contact the landlord and tell them the issues you are having in the apt and they will coordinate with the super or hire a private contractor to fix the issues.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I would tip for something extraordinary or something done particularly well, but in the case of a new rental with a lot of stuff that SHOULD have been looked to but wasn't, I'd let them play catch-up repairs on their own time. (But NEVER tip an owner...he gets a BIG tip every month.)

Christmas is coming so this is a GOOD time to get stiff done by supers and handymen...they are all slavering for their big Xmas bonuses from tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City