Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,156,678 times

Advertisements

Improve the MTA, your suggestions?

-Build real estate on MTA property. Space is a premium in this city, maximize it. I have read this done in some Asain systems for revenue.

-Wrap trains in ads for revenue.

-Ditch the Metrocard for N.F.C. devices (From phones to fobs) and eligable N.F.C. cards (provided by credit card companies, ect).

Your suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,977,718 times
Clean the stations and the trains once in a while.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,912,165 times
  • Set-up Industrial Fans for the Spring and Summer months.
  • Break up the A train line. Make the A train into a Manhattan A train and a Brooklyn/Queens A Train.
  • Do away with overtime policies. You will see who is inefficient and what areas need improvement/more manpower. I remember a year when the MTA had to approve $600 million in overtime money.
  • Create an Express bus that stops only in major destination areas in every borough. The Manhattan Express Bus eg: 175 GWB, 145st, 125, 59, 42, 34th, 14th, 4th, Canal, Soho, Chambers.
  • Create a monorail that goes along the West Side highway, Harlem River/FDR Drive.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,092,309 times
I think they should try to go ahead and implement that SmartCard.

They should also be trying to increase ridership and revenue. Right now, their attitude is that it's better to save $100,000 by cutting service than it is to try and get $100,000 extra by providing better service.

They should do what Miami does and every year or so, they should take a look at all of the routes (except for maybe the ones with really high ridership, like say the B46 because they obviously work well).

They can see which sections work well and which don't, and how the area can be better served with the same resources (many of the routes were inherited from trolley lines from the 1920s and haven't been changed since. Development patterns have changed a lot since the 1920s. Get with the program dammit!)

They should also create a fare structure that attracts ridership at the times when it is cheapest to provide the service. For instance, they have a bunch of express bus routes that run rush hours-only. They should try to build up the ridership off-peak so that the cost to operate them goes down (they can make it cheaper to ride outside of rush hour).

Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,051,736 times
Default Better policing...

Perverts and nutcases riding the rails. Too many groping of women recently.

Clean the stations, And get the rodent population under better control. (2 and 4 four legged rodents alike!)

Allow a departing train to wait 5 seconds for an arriving one across the platform. Ever had to transfer to a train going in the same direction and just as the doors open..The other train rolls away. 5 seconds is all most of us need.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 PM

7,867 posts, read 7,756,212 times
More police on the subways and platforms.
Smartcard implementation
and renovate all of the neglected subway stations, particualarly in The Bronx, and Washington Heights.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM

546 posts, read 1,171,414 times
I went to NYC just recently and I thought that it would be more efficient if the trains were faster. Maybe they can make them faster if they upgraded them, by turning to Maglev technology. The speed boost would come from faster acceleration and deceleration. Also they should be computer controlled rather than have drivers like they do in Japan. I also think it would save the MTA a lot of money because they don't have to pay drivers and the maintainence would be a lot less than steel on steel wheels, not to mention the subways would be quieter.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 PM

78 posts, read 376,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I went to NYC just recently and I thought that it would be more efficient if the trains were faster. Maybe they can make them faster if they upgraded them, by turning to Maglev technology. The speed boost would come from faster acceleration and deceleration. Also they should be computer controlled rather than have drivers like they do in Japan. I also think it would save the MTA a lot of money because they don't have to pay drivers and the maintainence would be a lot less than steel on steel wheels, not to mention the subways would be quieter.
computer based trains is here and is coming but alot of people reject the idea of computerized trains due to safety and a bunch of various reasons

I think the L and the 7 trains is the test line for the cbtc (something like that) trains

Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,163,247 times
-use more space for ads on trains/buses and at stations/stops. I dont know who manages this but its been a headscratcher for me for a long time. Some stations have tons of unused space for ads. Its 2011,ads can be done all sorts of ways also not just regular print ads and posters...

-completely phase out metrocard. Metrocards are glitchy and wasteful. We can do much better.

-during major sport events they should offer special subway lines that leave at a certain time and from a certain station straight to destination, ie the 5:30 train from 59th straight to yankee stadium. This would help alleviate the awful crush of gameday traffic combined with rush hour traffic. Heck this could even be tied into more advertsing money if the line is sponsored by a team.

-increase fines for farebeaters

-open up restrooms at major subway stations. These restrooms would close after a certain time and would be put in logicAl and safe spot, ie by booth and after turnstile. I just think its pathetic major hubs like columbus circle dont have restrooms.

-reduce fare for buses. A bus ride should never cost the same as train ride.

-get rid of bus stops that are too close to each other. I understand this is meant to cater to older folks and elderly but when
was the last time someone took a deep look at this? Some of these routes havent been changed in eons. Just looking at my
area there are many bus stops that cause gridlock because of the way they are located and I know they could be moved to
a less busy street or intersection.

-expand subway into areas that need it bad

-D run express in bronx more hours, and make 161 an express stop!!

I have more but these came to my head first...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 11-07-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 AM

243 posts, read 1,330,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
The trains can operate fast. In fact they used to in previous decades. They seem slower now because of speed restrictions in certain areas , and signals that have to be passed at certain speeds that were installed or put in place during the last two decades for various reasons. The trains have the capability of going over 50 mph. Their design and technology has nothing to do with it.

If you want to know how well computer controlled trains work , just look at what happened two or three years ago in Washington DC where they have it and it failed and a train crashed full speed into the back of a train in the station killing the train operator and several passengers. Ask anyone who takes the L line daily how they like it when the automated trains emergency brakes apply and cause delays , day in and out.

The MTA will always employ drivers because they need to blame human error when things go wrong. This is standard practice in all transportation industries. Airplanes basically fly themselves nowadays and the technology exists to eliminate pilots , but airlines never will eliminate them for the same reason. Humans need to be there to take over trains or planes if the computers fail , and to have a person to blame when something goes wrong so that it can be made to appear the system and technology are safe systemwide , the problem or incident was the result of one poor employee.

In any event , all the new trains are equipped with the technology to operate in computer mode. What does not exist yet is the systemwide implementation of the signalling system needed to go hand in hand with the trains. It will take years and years and cost a fortune to install it and get it ready. And there will still be train operators at the controls , working , and getting paid , once all that is done one of these days. It will not eliminate the position for the reasons stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: