Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Chinatown Ghetto?
Yes 44 39.29%
No 53 47.32%
not sure 15 13.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ghetto does not equate crime.
Chinatowns are usually focused around businesses as well. And depending on the area may not be low property value- D.C.'s Chinatown is in the heart of the city, near the basketball and hockey arena- and property is pricy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Ghetto is simply a section of a city where large numbers of a minority group dominate."

It does not have that meaning in 2011. Thats like saying I feel gay means I'm happy. Wake up, . Ghetto, in current American parlance, has connotations of crime and social disorder and dysfunction. Simply shabby and derelict doesn't fit the bill.
I agree with you that language evolves, meanings of words change. In NYC, when people say, "It's a jungle out there." I don't think they mean lots trees. Many common words have extra definitions compare to 30 years ago. Try "mouse", "run".

Now a days, people use ghetto for poor bad neighborhood, areas with low income, high crime rate, unsafe streets and bad schools. It can also be a white ghetto.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,732 times
Chinatown is dirty, smell bad, and with lots of potholes. I don't consider it is a ghetto because of low crime and good schools, not by my definition.

If any one wants to make a ghetto movie, Chinatown can be a very good location.
graffiti in chinatown nyc - Google Search

Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Chinatown is disgusting and gross.

it is a filthy pig-stuy.

doesn't mean it is unsafe though

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 7,916 times
Absolutely not in my eyes but I have been going there almost every Saturday or sunday morning for dimsum for the past 20+ years so I am biased. Really though, I hope china town stays as is. I can’t stand what has happened to soho, the meat packing district and east village in the last 15 years.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
if it looks sort of unsanitary, it is kind of ghetto i guess.
people don't naturally want to live like that and would
probably like everything to be new and fresh, but they
are raised that way, so they have to deal with it for the
time being until conditions get better.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
1. Yes and no, China town area is but is not at the same time. Consider it a work district, that has historical properties.

2. A Ghetto, is where one group of people, basically lives, and have the same benifactors, and problems associated with the origin nation. For east asian people, this is extremly the norm, and extremly strong. However I love the place, the smell of fish, and duck, people with bright sunny faces, and oppertunities.

They want to be considered, no differnt then other Americans, while others prefer to understand under no circumstances they are not Americans. In the super Market an Asian person struggles with trying to find out the price of an item, ( spends like a good 30 minutes before asking another Asian related person ). however a perfectly english speaking, person struggles with the same exact problem when shopping in a store owned by east Asianers.

Think of them like the Spanish/Latin people but they are more noble and less agressive. Yes I do not like them, because the last couple years ago, some people have pompus attitudes, were outlooking to be considered like the Jues. They are just like us, commercially damaged, and selfish beyonds means.

Right now asian people are more accepted then ever. Partly because of the respect gained from popular culture, and the fact their society has been able to maintain itself. At one point in my life I was looking to leave America, for an Asian nation. Beijing looks fun, it reminds me of my highschool. However I would feel bad, because the flat that was built was probably somebodys home. The person was probably draged out and had their stuff destroyed. Those homeless people you see in China, who are dressed up nice, probably had their village torn apart so a foreigner could live in.

About crime. Their are tons of criminal actions, the revolve around all groups of people irreguardless of nationality, or race. Pretty much the same exact kind of crimes for anybody else. You will not see it because it would probably not be reported. You want to see, such examples, just search any normal crime and input various desrciptive words.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Chinatown fulfills the criteria of ghetto. But a high crime neighborhood? No. Altough some say "you don't come back, not from Chinatown".

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
Crime is everywhere in Chinatown, illegal gambling.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
I love how posters on here are trying to state that because 'ghetto' has a slang terminology to them, that somehow everyone should be forced to understand that the actual definition of the word no longer has meaning to them, and therefore must be wrong.

Chinatown is a ghetto onto itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City