Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 PM

28 posts, read 63,713 times

Advertisements

So I had this plan...

Get to Carlos Bakery about 730am on a thursday....hopefully line wouldn't be long on a early weekday morning...

Reserve statue of liberty pass for 900am...How early do I need to arrive? It said not long lines when I reserve and if its early? Since you cannot go inside I imagine you would spend must time there...Would you say 2 hours for the entire round trip total??

Take some type of rail system to Time square...

Why doesn't anything open until 10 am? Regardless, visit Time square and the Wax museum...Do you think 10 yrs old is too young for wax museum?

Get on the City Sights bus tour and head out to "downtown" drive by Empire State Building.

Go to 9/11 Monument...Reserve tickets online of course. Not sure about time spent here..any help?

Possibly ride Staten Island Ferry...First I heard I could see Statue of Liberty from here...should I forgo the morning Statue ride or the Staten Island Ferry Ride if time constraints?

Head down to the Top of the Rock...

Then to Natural History Museum...Im feeling like I wont have enough time to do this museum justice...

Walk from here across central park to the Zoo...

Then walk down to Dylans Candy Bar

And thats it!

Is there a better way to rearrange my itinerary to make it better or flow better.

Whats the chances of getting it all done in one day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM

221 posts, read 524,227 times
Just relax and enjoy the sites - don't have such a concrete itinerary. Go to see what you can. If everything is too rushed, it wont be fun.

Carlos line at 7:30 am isn't too bad.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,713,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Just relax and enjoy the sites - don't have such a concrete itinerary. Go to see what you can. If everything is too rushed, it wont be fun.

Carlos line at 7:30 am isn't too bad.
I would skip Times Square and the wax museum (both are crappy tourist traps) to give yourself more time at the Natural History Museum which is worth it. Or, use that time to stop by the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the other side of Central Park.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 PM

221 posts, read 524,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I would skip Times Square and the wax museum (both are crappy tourist traps) to give yourself more time at the Natural History Museum which is worth it. Or, use that time to stop by the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the other side of Central Park.
I would skip 9/11 Monument.
Its just meh, and still under construction.

Although you can take the Hoboken PATH to WTC, look around, and then take a cab elsewhere.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,164,283 times
Yes, start qt one end of the island and move to the other end as you go. Your current itinerary starts downtown, then midtown, then back downtown, then uptown, etc.

It would probably make sense to do the bus tour first to get your bearings. Then start downtown. 9/11 Memorial and Statue of Liberty tickets/ Staten Island Ferry are just a few blocks apart. If you want to visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, do the full tour and allow 2.5-3 hours. It can be VERY cold though being on the water if the temps are low that day. If you just want to see the statue and take some pics, the Staten Island Ferry is the better choice and takes about 30-45 minutes round trip. These activites, plus Carlos bakery, should fill your morning.

Skip the wax museum. It's junky and there's nothing inherently "New York" about it.

Then head uptown for the Museum of Natural History. I'd allow 2 hours minimum. You can eat lunch at one of the many inexpensive restaurants / delis along Columbus Ave behind the museum. Then walk through the park. I'd skip the zoo as its quite small and you probably have a better one in your hometown. The better zoo in NYC is the Bronx Zoo. In the park, be sure to check out Bethesda Terrace, The Carousel, the Lawn, the Mall, the Motor Boat Pond, the Ice Skating Rink. If you enter at 79th St & CPW and work your way southeast through the park, you should cover mos of these sites and end up near 59th & CPS....just a few blocks from Dylan's which stays open pretty late.

Then you can end your day at Top of the Rock, which is best visited at night when all the city lights are twinkling.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 AM

88,203 posts, read 84,076,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethw001 View Post
So I had this plan...

Get to Carlos Bakery about 730am on a thursday....hopefully line wouldn't be long on a early weekday morning...

Reserve statue of liberty pass for 900am...How early do I need to arrive? It said not long lines when I reserve and if its early? Since you cannot go inside I imagine you would spend must time there...Would you say 2 hours for the entire round trip total??

Take some type of rail system to Time square...

Why doesn't anything open until 10 am? Regardless, visit Time square and the Wax museum...Do you think 10 yrs old is too young for wax museum?

Get on the City Sights bus tour and head out to "downtown" drive by Empire State Building.

Go to 9/11 Monument...Reserve tickets online of course. Not sure about time spent here..any help?

Possibly ride Staten Island Ferry...First I heard I could see Statue of Liberty from here...should I forgo the morning Statue ride or the Staten Island Ferry Ride if time constraints?

Head down to the Top of the Rock...

Then to Natural History Museum...Im feeling like I wont have enough time to do this museum justice...

Walk from here across central park to the Zoo...

Then walk down to Dylans Candy Bar

And thats it!

Is there a better way to rearrange my itinerary to make it better or flow better.

Whats the chances of getting it all done in one day?
It doesn't seem to make sense to go to the Statue first thing in the morning if you're going back downtown later in the day.

Also, re the WTC--there is a WTC Tribute Center on Liberty Street, which gives walking tours, and all of the docents are connected to the WTC in some way (family members, survivors, people who worked on the pile, etc.) The center also includes artifacts from the site and features such as oral histories to listen to. There is a charge for admission and the tours, though.

Tribute WTC Visitor Center - Visitor Information

Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,557,717 times
Carlos is really not that great either. I had it before it was even famous and I wasn't that impressed.

But in general, be flexible, have a subway map, and don't be too concrete with a schedule. 10 is definitely not too young for wax museum. I've even taken a 10 year old to MoMA and other museums. I guess it depends on the 10 year old.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,709,338 times
you can also get your statue of liberty tickets online too iirc

Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM

2,353 posts, read 2,660,699 times
Is there a reason for those choices? A day in Manhattan but going to New Jersey for a bakery? Wax Museum and Natural History but no art museum? Why two tall buildings (ESB and Top of the Rock)?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:08 PM

88,203 posts, read 84,076,500 times
What? Carlo's isn't art? LOL. The only episode I ever saw was the one where he made a life-size cake of his wife for her birthday. Thought it was kind of weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City